2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

No, there are coolant lines running to the transmission to what is referred to as the “puck” which circulates atf around the coolant lines. On 2018 and earlier models with tow package, there was also a thermostat with lines to atf cooler.
Okay - found a guy putting in an aftermarket kit and swaps that puck … (he had a large radiator stack ATF cooler)

Okay - found a guy putting in an aftermarket kit and swaps that puck … (he had a large radiator stack ATF cooler)
Yes, that's the fix. Add the thermostat, lines, and aftermarket cooler.

The original 2007-2010 ATF cooler was a separate unit mounted in front of the radiator. They later changed the AC condenser to have ATF cooler on top and condenser on bottom.

In 2018, the new y-1234f refrigerant was used. In 2019, the ATF cooler goes away and now the condenser is larger. The only word from Toyota was, we did testing and found the cooler wasn't needed.

Yes, that's the fix. Add the thermostat, lines, and aftermarket cooler.

The original 2007-2010 ATF cooler was a separate unit mounted in front of the radiator. They later changed the AC condenser to have ATF cooler on top and condenser on bottom.

In 2018, the new y-1234f refrigerant was used. In 2019, the ATF cooler goes away and now the condenser is larger. The only word from Toyota was, we did testing and found the cooler wasn't needed.
Mine don’t run nearly as hot as what OP mentioned …

Like you, @PWMDMD - I am a fan of my Tundra and its 5.7. The engine has been criticized for being thirsty and low on power.

Well, yes, and no. The truck gets about 18 on the highway, not great, but I think it’s more the gearing. The engine makes good power, it’s over 380 HP, but you have to rev it. When you get on it, it sounds great. A true V-8 sound.

I’ve shared this before, but when truck shopping 8 years ago, I drove everything, including Ford, Chevy, GMC and Ram. They all had some great features and all drove well. I chose the Tundra, even with its ancient leaf spring rear (slightly less sophisticated than the Packard’s) six speed transmission (when the others had more) and the “thirsty” V-8, for one reason: reliability.

Made in America ( the San Antonio plant builds the Tundra) mattered to me, but reliability was king.

This debut of the twin turbo 6 is just so disappointing. Debris? Design? I don’t care which it is, if I were to spend the ridiculous* amount of money they are asking for this truck, I would not be happy with this recall, because of what it implies.

* Actual window sticker from the dealer lot while my truck was getting an inspection last month.

View attachment 222256
Agreed - They’ve lost their minds with pricing across their model lineup.

Mine don’t run nearly as hot as what OP mentioned …
I had a 2010 and could see 230 on the highway *with a cooler* and not towing. I came to the conclusion that a) the cooler thermostat did not open up until 230, and b) Toyota really hates locked up torque convertors, they'd rather run unlocked in too high of a gear.

But Aisin transmissions seem to tolerate this, so...?

But I'd hate to see what it'd spike to, while towing up a mountain, sans cooler. Just wrong, so wrong.

So there are no cooler lines to/from the radiator?
They removed the transmission radiator in 2019 and now there is a small "puck" on the transmission with trans fluid running on one side and engine coolant on the other side. Its primary function is to warm the trans fluid when cold with warm engine coolant. Toyota claims it also acts to cool the trans fluid, which is technically true when the trans fluid temp exceeds the engine coolant temp, but it is minimal cooling. I watched a video of someone towing 3500lbs up the Ike Gauntlet with a 2013 Sequoia at 65mph and their trans temp never exceeded 210F. I can drive 75mph on flat highway unloaded and easily get to +225F. Mike Sweers was asked and he acknowledged the increased trans temps but said their testing showed the WS fluid would have no problem running these temps as "lifetime fluid". I call BS...hence I just had the transmission flushed at 50k miles.

Last edited:
I had a 2010 and could see 230 on the highway *with a cooler* and not towing. I came to the conclusion that a) the cooler thermostat did not open up until 230, and b) Toyota really hates locked up torque convertors, they'd rather run unlocked in too high of a gear.

But Aisin transmissions seem to tolerate this, so...?

But I'd hate to see what it'd spike to, while towing up a mountain, sans cooler. Just wrong, so wrong.
I'd assume yours was malfunctioning in some way. I've watched countless videos of pre-2019 Tundras and Sequoias never getting over 200F during normal driving and not going over 210F towing up long highway grades. The problem is for every 10F in increased fluid temp the rate of oxidation goes up dramatically.

They removed the transmission radiator in 2019 and now there is a small "puck" on the transmission with trans fluid running one running on one side and engine coolant on the other side. Its primary function is to warm the trans fluid when cold with warm engine coolant.
I think they always had that? mine did, in 2010.

1717161825724.jpg

I'd assume yours was malfunctioning in some way. I've watched countless videos of pre-2019 Tundras and Sequoias never getting over 200F during normal driving and not going over 210F towing up long highway grades. The problem is for every 10F the rate of oxidation goes up dramatically.
I only had a Scanguage II and of the codes I could find for the ATF temp sensors, only one would work. Given how fast it responded, it was apparently the convertor outlet, not pan, sensor. It would quickly spike on any hill that I let it run with TC unlocked.

Don't think I saw over 230 though. Even when I worked it, it stopped around there it seemed.

Lived at 190 on the highway, around coolant temp.

View attachment 222282
On yours, there were coolant lines that then went to a radiator. They removed the radiator so it's not actively cooled anymore. It's actually fairly simple to retrofit the coolant lines and radiator to the puck because it's exactly the same, just missing the coolant lines and radiator on my truck.

View attachment 222282
The difference is, the new one has just the puck.

And in your diagram the puck warms the fluid, but above a certain temperature, the fluid gets routed to an external air to oil cooler.

Your diagram looks like my truck. They simply took the external cooler off doc’s and left the puck.

Another big fail by Toyota. First it was turbos (required removing the cab to repair) and now bearings. There is no excuse for a main bearing to fail. That's like having the foundation of a building collapse.

They use that engine in a lot of vehicles. I hope they get it sorted out... but I don't know how they put a bandaid on what looks like an engineering failure.

I have a 1st Gen Sequoia that is 23 years old, still going strong and has been a great vehicle. I had a gen 2 Sequoia for a while, and liked it a lot too. I think Toyota has lost their way. There won't be a gen 3 Sequoia in my garage... ever.

Toyota changed the automotive world with their level of quality that leapfrogged the other car companies.
The Toyota pickup just ran and ran and ran, asking for very little. Work horses. Camrys and Corollas got 300K and kept on running.
Our 2001 Tundra is thirsty but with 220K, I never check the oil. I get offers all the time.

So this news is highly disappointing.

It is, but it goes to show, the makers are all swapping spots. They have a good run, and if they get complacent (or unlucky), fall behind. Really hard (and a bad idea) to rely on prior performance (but hey, we all do it, I won't lie about what I prefer to shop).

One tries to avoid Toyota's 1.8L, 2.4L and 3.0L engines. Each of them seem to have bad runs. The 1.8 drank oil (Prius, Corolla) for some years--or blew headgaskets (Prius), again some years. 2.4 RWD was supposedly good but the 22RE is still known to destroy timing chains? that one I don't get how the 22RE gets a pass there. 2.4 FWD, early years pull head bolts and blow head gaskets, later years drink oil. RWD 3.blow, they did a head gasket change and they liked to toss gaskets as a result.

Seems like for a number of years now Toyota has had problems with cam tower oil leaks and water pump leaks. The cam tower leak I want to say is minor--but a major repair job. Water pumps tend to at least be easier to fix (assuming one doesn't run out of coolant).

Toyota changed the automotive world with their level of quality that leapfrogged the other car companies.
The Toyota pickup just ran and ran and ran, asking for very little. Work horses. Camrys and Corollas got 300K and kept on running.
Our 2001 Tundra is thirsty but with 220K, I never check the oil. I get offers all the time.

Ya but now Toyota not only has to maintain or increase efficiency but they also have to make over 100 hp/liter because the competition is there.

It is, but it goes to show, the makers are all swapping spots. They have a good run, and if they get complacent (or unlucky), fall behind. Really hard (and a bad idea) to rely on prior performance (but hey, we all do it, I won't lie about what I prefer to shop).

One tries to avoid Toyota's 1.8L, 2.4L and 3.0L engines. Each of them seem to have bad runs. The 1.8 drank oil (Prius, Corolla) for some years--or blew headgaskets (Prius), again some years. 2.4 RWD was supposedly good but the 22RE is still known to destroy timing chains? that one I don't get how the 22RE gets a pass there. 2.4 FWD, early years pull head bolts and blow head gaskets, later years drink oil. RWD 3.blow, they did a head gasket change and they liked to toss gaskets as a result.

Seems like for a number of years now Toyota has had problems with cam tower oil leaks and water pump leaks. The cam tower leak I want to say is minor--but a major repair job. Water pumps tend to at least be easier to fix (assuming one doesn't run out of coolant).
The “3.slow” in my 1990 4 Runner was perfectly reliable. It was made before the HG issue came up, and was not eligible for the recall.

The cam tower leak, however annoying and labor-intensive (AKA expensive) to fix, will not leave you stranded the way a main bearing failure will.

The data on Japan vs. US made 3.4 twin turbos would be interesting. The 3VZE (3.0) in the 4Runner was Japanese manufacture, but still had issues. This issue seems to be limited to the US-made engines in the Tundra - and it makes me wonder if this is process failure like Boeing and the Max door - They’ll tighten the door bolts at the next step” while the next step thought the bolts were already done.

On yours, there were coolant lines that then went to a radiator. They removed the radiator so it's not actively cooled anymore. It's actually fairly simple to retrofit the coolant lines and radiator to the puck because it's exactly the same, just missing the coolant lines and radiator on my truck.

If that were my truck - I would have done the retrofit already.

I’ve done several automatic transmission coolers on the Volvos - maintaining the proper fluid temperature is part of why I’ve been able to get 300,000 miles on the Aisin Warner transmission that was known for its failures.

If that were my truck - I would have done the retrofit already.

I’ve done several automatic transmission coolers on the Volvos - maintaining the proper fluid temperature is part of why I’ve been able to get 300,000 miles on the Aisin Warner transmission that was known for its failures.
I know, I know...it's on my to do list. My punishment will be owning an $80K pickup with a spun bearing. This post is reinvigorating me to get it done.

Yup, we live in a world where we are only as good as our last whatever...perform or perish!

Back