2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

Here is a summary for the linked article:

Toyota has identified the cause of the failures in its twin-turbo V6 engines found in the 2022-2023 Tundra and Lexus LX models. The issue stems from machining debris left inside the engines during production, which can cause main bearing failures. This debris can lead to engine knock, rough running, no-start conditions, and even sudden loss of power while driving, significantly increasing the risk of accidents.

The recall affects over 100,000 vehicles in North America, and Toyota is working on notifying owners and providing a fix by the end of July 2024. The problem is particularly associated with the V35A-FTS engine and does not affect the hybrid iForce Max versions of these vehicles

The "machining debris" explanation is straight out of the Hyundai Theta II Debacle handbook. It wasn't machining debris in Hyundai's case, and it's not machining debris in Toyota's case. I bet that for the 2026 model year we'll see a major engine block redesign.
Ah yes why blame the engineers when they can blame the workers.
Undersized bearings seems to be the trend lately.

I find that hard to believe its an outright design issue. Something that significant would have shown up in testing. Not like these engines have 200K miles on them, there brand new.

I am also skeptical of the "debris" story. I would guess more along the lines of a machining or material quality defect over design, possibly exasperated by a marginal design?

The Nissan VK engines suffered from bad machining in one cylinder on some engines. Didn't show up to 30-40K. It was lousy machine operation / maintenance. Could be along those lines?

Well. BMW S65/S85 has rod bearings as a maintenance item and these engines were preceded by the S54 which also developed rod bearing problems. We in BMW land were thinking after the S54 that there would be no way BMW would let that happen again. Boy were we wrong.

You know, I've thought about that statement a time or two. We all know that these OEM's do a pile of testing before they release a design, yet time and time again we see things pop up that 'should' have been caught during testing.

I'm honestly curious why that is. Is it the beancounters getting in the way after the engineering is done? Is the testing not as difficult as daily vehicle usage is?

Just a thought I have every time I see something like this pop up.
It's a matter of the engineers and their bosses telling their bosses what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear. The so called "bean counters" come in after the sh** happens and tell them how much they screwed up. In the news just today, Toyota management apologized for lying and cheating on vehicle testing.

It's a matter of the engineers and their bosses telling their bosses what they want to hear rather than what they need to hear. The so called "bean counters" come in after the sh** happens and tell them how much they screwed up. In the news just today, Toyota management apologized for lying and cheating on vehicle testing.

I'm talking about the engineers turning over a perfectly good design and then the beancounters cost reducing it to death.

'we don't need to hot tank those blocks a second time, they've already been done once before they were line bored, that will save $.50 per block, it will only affect XX% of all blocks and that is an 'acceptable' loss.' - Totally made up statement, but has probably happened somewhere.

That kind of thing.

Just like GM saving $2 per torque converter on their 8L transmissions that is continuing to make them bleed millions.

I'm talking about the engineers turning over a perfectly good design and then the beancounters cost reducing it to death.

'we don't need to hot tank those blocks a second time, they've already been done once before they were line bored, that will save $.50 per block, it will only affect XX% of all blocks and that is an 'acceptable' loss.' - Totally made up statement, but has probably happened somewhere.

That kind of thing.

Just like GM saving $2 per torque converter on their 8L transmissions that is continuing to make them bleed millions.
Manufacturing and quality control is not in the perview of the so called "beancounters." They can tell the engineers and management what it costs to hot tank a block but they don't decide whether to do it or not.

Manufacturing and quality control is not in the perview of the so called "beancounters." They can tell the engineers and management what it costs to hot tank a block but they don't decide whether to do it or not.

They absolutely did in the case of GM and the 8L transmissions. I'm quite sure the engineers didn't decide to go from a carbon disk to an inferior untested paper clutch disk because it was the best choice. They did it to save the $2 and to bolster corporate relations with LUK.

It just seems that nobody is building reliable engines anymore and it's all due to trying to meet EPA regulations etc. Every auto maker has issues of some sort with power trains and mostly in trucks...Toyota is now on the list as well.
Respectfully, that's speculation without data.
If it were due to EPA regulations then why don't they say so?
And why just certain engines? Why not all that meet spec?

but 3.5TT is really inefficient engine considering complexity. Sequoia can barely hit 20mpg on hwy. I mean it helped CAFE a bit. There are also emission targets that had to be met.
That’s true. A pig of a vehicle is a pig of a vehicle. If it requires a ton of power to overcome wind resistance at speed, a higher worked engine isn’t going to help, and a superior SFC will help to a point, but we’re almost splitting hairs.

I wonder if they are getting Chinese steel, maybe not hardened properly. Usually defects are at the hands of suppliers. The first couple of years of Mercedes 3.5 production had balance shafts that were not hardened properly. A lot of people had costly repairs. Some of it was done under warranty. The manufacturer may go after the suppliers but that doesn't do the owners any good. Stay away from 06-07 3.5 V6 MB engines.

That’s true. A pig of a vehicle is a pig of a vehicle. If it requires a ton of power to overcome wind resistance at speed, a higher worked engine isn’t going to help, and a superior SFC will help to a point, but we’re almost splitting hairs.
It is a big vehicle, but so are others, and they return better mpg, even though many are not hybrid. This engine will need a lot of tweaking to catch up with others, if ever.

Did you read my reply you quoted?
Yes, emissions, I get it.
MPG, on the other hand, is horrid for such an engine.
Also, apparently, GM does not have a problem meeting those same emission standards with a V8 engine.
The same goes for the appliance SUV category. Toyota went 2.4T, and Honda stayed with V6. Both have to meet the same emissions standards (which was emphasized by Toyota as one of main reasons dropping V6).
So, why Toyota went turbo? I think there is more to it with chasing performance and trying to reinvent itself a bit. However, they are really, really behind others in this game, and it shows.

Back