2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

[wanders in again, "shocked" the thread is off-topic and not closed yet, wanders out]

Cost does outpace tax. It is simple math. It cannot be simpler than that.
Than you can add to that other redistribution. In the end, people want things that they are not paying it for. That especially goes for states that get more federal tax dollars than they pay, like let’s say, Texas.
You keep saying this but provide no proof for this.

But let’s assume it is true. Are we as the taxpayers totally sure that the contract bidding goes to the best firm with no conflict of interest? Do these project stay within the allocated budget or do they go over? If so how often?
Is there sufficient oversight of the materials, funds, etc to ensure money is spent on what it is claimed it is spent on? Basically look at all the things that cause the increase in costs.

The point is that there are many things that should be looked at before the cry for raising a tax is even proposed. We as the taxpayers should be demanding this type of transparency.

There is no other business or investor that would take your stance of simply “everything costs more”. These things can be easily analyzed if there is a push for it.

As you said it, it’s simple math.

You keep saying this but provide no proof for this.

But let’s assume it is true. Are we as the taxpayers totally sure that the contract bidding goes to the best firm with no conflict of interest? Do these project stay within the allocated budget or do they go over? If so how often?
Is there sufficient oversight of the materials, funds, etc to ensure money is spent on what it is claimed it is spent on? Basically look at all the things that cause the increase in costs.

The point is that there are many things that should be looked at before the cry for raising a tax is even proposed. We as the taxpayers should be demanding this type of transparency.

There is no other business or investor that would take your stance of simply “everything costs more”. These things can be easily analyzed if there is a push for it.

As you said it, it’s simple math.
Taxpayers?
1. Taxpayers are government. Government are not aliens. Government are your neighbors, family etc.
2. All spending data is available in every city, county, state, federal agency etc. No one is going to knock your door and said: i am privileged to deliver you this report.
3. Debate is there. There is always public debate. Nothing stops you from attending your city council debate, hearing in state legislature, the US Congress, discussion with your representative.

Taxpayers?
1. Taxpayers are government. Government are not aliens. Government are your neighbors, family etc.
2. All spending data is available in every city, county, state, federal agency etc. No one is going to knock your door and said: i am privileged to deliver you this report.
3. Debate is there. There is always public debate. Nothing stops you from attending your city council debate, hearing in state legislature, the US Congress, discussion with your representative.

Show me the numbers on road maintenance then?
You claimed there was no significant money being taken away from the fuel tax, I showed you otherwise.
I think the same courtesy applies to your claims.

That especially goes for states that get more federal tax dollars than they pay, like let’s say, Texas.
People say this about South Carolina all the time. Maybe a decade ago I dug into it in detail - its harder to find than it should be. The biggest part was Social Security. Yes, more people retire in South Carolina than somewhere like New Jersey. Giant Shock. SS shouldn't be on budget to begin with.

Second biggest is military bases. There are some benefits to having military bases, they make excellent neighbours for one. However it would be hard to dock nuclear subs in, oh lets say Denver, so too bad them I guess.

Needless to say anyone that makes such comments is most likely just repeating talking points.

People say this about South Carolina all the time. Maybe a decade ago I dug into it in detail - its harder to find than it should be. The biggest part was Social Security. Yes, more people retire in South Carolina than somewhere like New Jersey. Giant Shock. SS shouldn't be on budget to begin with.

Second biggest is military bases. There are some benefits to having military bases, they make excellent neighbours for one. However it would be hard to dock nuclear subs in, oh lets say Denver, so too bad them I guess.

Needless to say anyone that makes such comments is most likely just repeating talking points.
The military bases are not attractive bcs. they are good neighbors.
It is attractive bcs. it injects huge amount of money into local economy. Call it socialized economy whatever. The biggest fight in Congress is about NDA, bcs. money.
Colorado Springs is perfect example. Northern Command, NORAD, Ft. Carson, Space Command, Schreiver SFB, USAFA.
From strategic standpoint doesn’t make any sense to have such facilities in such close proximity. But, politically? It is jack pot!

The military bases are not attractive bcs. they are good neighbors.
It is attractive bcs. it injects huge amount of money into local economy. Call it socialized economy whatever. The biggest fight in Congress is about NDA, bcs. money.
Colorado Springs is perfect example. Northern Command, NORAD, Ft. Carson, Space Command, Schreiver SFB, USAFA.
From strategic standpoint doesn’t make any sense to have such facilities in such close proximity. But, politically? It is jack pot!
Again, I like our military bases. But the monetary part benefits a very few people in the state. So yes, its all quid pro quo stuff, and some folks get rich, but most of the state's residents see's no financial benefit. They are still good neighbors, so still happy.

Same with Social Security. People who get it can choose to retire where they want. South Carolina does not even tax it as income.

So saying states like South Carolina get more tax dollars than they pay in due to these two things is a false strawman argument.

Again, I like our military bases. But the monetary part benefits a very few people in the state. So yes, its all quid pro quo stuff, and some folks get rich, but most of the state's residents see's no financial benefit. They are still good neighbors, so still happy.

Same with Social Security. People who get it can choose to retire where they want. South Carolina does not even tax it as income.

So saying states like South Carolina get more tax dollars than they pay in due to these two things is a false strawman argument.
It is really not a strawman argument.
First, SC does not have the highest % of senior citizens. Actually, it is ranked 10th. is it a contributing factor? Sure. https://www.prb.org/resources/which-us-states-are-the-oldest/
KY has much less senior citizens then SC, but KY is by far largest recipients of federal funds in the US per capita. I think last number I have seen was $2.24 per each $1 they send to Federal govt. Take into consideration that NY sends more money to the federal govt. then it gets, but has more senior citizens than KY. So, it is a multitude of issues: Military bases, senior citizens, other welfare recipients, pet projects, etc.
The point is that the money government is not some boogieman that is trying to screw someone. Starting from regulation to taxes, etc.

It is really not a strawman argument.
First, SC does not have the highest % of senior citizens. Actually, it is ranked 10th. is it a contributing factor? Sure. https://www.prb.org/resources/which-us-states-are-the-oldest/
KY has much less senior citizens then SC, but KY is by far largest recipients of federal funds in the US per capita. I think last number I have seen was $2.24 per each $1 they send to Federal govt. Take into consideration that NY sends more money to the federal govt. then it gets, but has more senior citizens than KY. So, it is a multitude of issues: Military bases, senior citizens, other welfare recipients, pet projects, etc.
The point is that the money government is not some boogieman that is trying to screw someone. Starting from regulation to taxes, etc.
You brought up the topic?

My point is overall federal transfer payments to a state aren't really worth debating at all given the largest "expense" is SS which shouldn't be on budget, the second largest is National Defense, and those bases need to be put where it makes the most sense from a defense standpoint, and I think the third soon to be second is net interest expense - which we all are guilty of. Hence the debate of net federal taxes vs net transfer payments makes no sense. But like I said, you were the one pointing it out.

You brought up the topic?

My point is overall federal transfer payments to a state aren't really worth debating at all given the largest "expense" is SS which shouldn't be on budget, the second largest is National Defense, and those bases need to be put where it makes the most sense from a defense standpoint, and I think the third soon to be second is net interest expense - which we all are guilty of. Hence the debate of net federal taxes vs net transfer payments makes no sense. But like I said, you were the one pointing it out.
That is rarely the case. In some cases there is no other way but having base in certain areas like let's say San Diego.
But, I already gave you an example of the city where I live and work in that sector. It is all about politics! You mentioned that few people will get rich. That is not how this works. Military bases are huge tax revenue base. They spend money on rent, groceries etc. Why do you think CO fought tooth and nail to keep SpaceCom? Next is maintenance. All maintenance, repairs, and upgrades are done by local companies located in that state. Civilians from local cities are employed there. That is why BRAC was such a hot topic in 90's. NDA is by far the most gruesome process in Congress, and that is because every representative wants to bring military projects to their own district. That guarantees their job. Again, look at list of military installations in Colorado Springs. It does not make any strategic sense. But, everything is politics.

The key part:

"This recall covers vehicles equipped with V35A engines of a particular configuration that were manufactured during a certain period at particular engine plants. V35A engines of this configuration, manufactured after this production period, were manufactured with new or improved processes that better clear machining debris. Other Toyota or Lexus vehicles sold in the U.S. are not equipped with this engine or have a different V35A engine configuration with different pressure on the main bearings. Some of these vehicles equipped with a different engine configuration have a Hybrid powertrain system. If engine failure occurs on a Hybrid vehicle, the vehicle continues to have some motive power for limited distances and the driver receives a continuous audible warning, warning lamps, and visual warning messages."

My takeaway is:
1. Pressure at the main bearings and possibly not (at least entirely) debris is the issue.

and/or

2. Hybrid engines are also affected but because they can still move with failure of the ICE not included in this safety campaign.

Back