2005 Mercedes E320

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my wifes Mercedes in for it's first 3000 mile service. Had coffee...waited the 2 1/2 hours...they brought it out and said here are the keys. I ask for the paperwork...curious of what had been done etc. The service writer/advisor came out...gave me a computer generated sheet that said....3000 mile inspection complete......I ask "did they change the oil?"...his response was..." No...We use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 does not get changed until 10,000 miles".....

I am aware of how engines are built and the factory lubes on the bearings etal...and the need to drain these grease/lubes after a few thousand miles is probably a good idea (old school)...with all that aside for the moment....with no UOA....nothing...a brand new engine being broke in...metal shavings floating around with all of those bearing lubes etc....does anybody other than myself think it "odd" the Mercedes dealership would go 10,000 miles on every new car?

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
I'd change it.

I'm sure Mercedes has done tests to show that 10K on Mobil 1 does not damage their new engines, but I'd change it, too. Maybe at 5k.

But, I have never owned a Mercedes, so what do I know?
wink.gif

With the dealer schedule it'll last through warranty plus some, but I vote to change it. We're talking about proper engine hygiene.

MB cares that it will get through warranty,nothing more.

They are trying to make their vehicles more maintance free but the customers are going to be the ones who are paying in the long run.

Why did you go in at 3k? My friends `03 C240 FSS (Flexible Service Schedule) reminder did not come up until 7k...and that's only because the car is driven about 5-7k per year and the computer knew that it was just over a year...otherwise it would have gone to 10-12k!!

I agree with the M-B engineers. Cheapo US cars req. continual changing of oil (and everything else). The factory M-1 0-40 should go the 10k. Don't waste $$. And the next time (when you do get the OCI), make sure they use the right oil. The M-B dealer here uses M-1 5-30 (WRONG) because "only AMG gets the 0-40". My buddy just brought in some GC (because local store was out of M-1 0-40)...it too has the req'd M-B specs...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Why did you go in at 3k? My friends `03 C240 FSS (Flexible Service Schedule) reminder did not come up until 7k...and that's only because the car is driven about 5-7k per year and the computer knew that it was just over a year...otherwise it would have gone to 10-12k!!

I agree with the M-B engineers. Cheapo US cars req. continual changing of oil (and everything else). The factory M-1 0-40 should go the 10k. Don't waste $$. And the next time (when you do get the OCI), make sure they use the right oil. The M-B dealer here uses M-1 5-30 (WRONG) because "only AMG gets the 0-40". My buddy just brought in some GC (because local store was out of M-1 0-40)...it too has the req'd M-B specs...

Mercedes specified between 2000-3000 miles come in for the 1st service. 2 1/2 hours I would have thought they would do something other than air up the tires and wash it:)I agree the OCI should be longer than 3K with this car. Very low miles and all country road into town and back...so no stop/start high speed interstate stuff....but and that is a big BUT....a new engine....I think I'll put her up on the ramp and change the oil with the 0-40 Mobil 1 and buy a Mercedes filter from the dealership....just make me feel a little better....

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
MB cares that it will get through warranty,nothing more.

They are trying to make their vehicles more maintance free but the customers are going to be the ones who are paying in the long run.

I don't believe that Mercedes would set up a scenario where their vehicles begin to cr@p-out after their initial warranty period. Lexus has had WAY too much success with their used car certification program - it makes sense, because certifying a used car guarantees that it's residual value goes up after an initial lease term, for example.

quote:

Originally posted by sgtgeek:
Mercedes specified between 2000-3000 miles come in for the 1st service. 2 1/2 hours I would have thought they would do something other than air up the tires and wash it:)I agree the OCI should be longer than 3K with this car. Very low miles and all country road into town and back...so no stop/start high speed interstate stuff....but and that is a big BUT....a new engine....I think I'll put her up on the ramp and change the oil with the 0-40 Mobil 1 and buy a Mercedes filter from the dealership....just make me feel a little better....

Is that Mercedes as in your dealership or MBUSA?
If you don't mind telling, what did the dealership charge for this "service"?

I, also, suggest changing the oil sooner, especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for some time. The Mercedes dealer in Sioux Falls, SD uses Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 in ALL MB vehicles at 10,000 OCI, regardless of what vis. is spec'd, and when clearly 'stickered' to use Mobil-1!! That vehicle must have set you back more $ than most new vehicles, so unless it broke your wallet, change the oil a bit sooner. Good luck, and I think your decision to change it sooner is smart; certainly extra peace-of-mind.

quote:

Originally posted by vwoom:

quote:

Mercedes dealership.....San Antonio....
Service was free....

Sgt, is this a lease vehicle?

No paid cash...brand new ...had like 4 miles on it....would like to keep it for a few years...it is the wifes car.....that is my concern of the 10,000 First miles....longevity.....I appreciate everyones comments....I have concluded after getting under the car...I think I'll have Mercedes change the oil:)

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by vwoom:

quote:

Mercedes dealership.....San Antonio....
Service was free....

Sgt, is this a lease vehicle?

No paid cash...brand new ...had like 4 miles on it....would like to keep it for a few years...it is the wifes car.....that is my concern of the 10,000 First miles....longevity.....I appreciate everyones comments....I have concluded after getting under the car...I think I'll have Mercedes change the oil:)

Ok..reason I asked is if its leased you can just follow the standard dealer oci schedules(ridiculously long). But since you do own the car now and are concerned with longevity and plan to keep the car well by all means do change the oil before 10k. Likewise above, a regular 5k oci sched for this car is a good rule of thumb.

My 2004 CLK320 never needed a 3000 mile service, right now it looks like it will be due for the first sevice at 12,000 miles, also acording to my manual it came with 0W-40 Mobil 1 and also needs the special Mann fleece oil filter to take advantage of the long OCI.

I can't keep up with all these Mercedes numbers E320, etc., but to highlight something that was said above; the only Mercedes product that comes from the factory with Mobil 1 in it is the AMG, and that's Mobil 1 0W40. Every other Mercedes that is made in Germany is factory filled with Shell. This whole Mobil 1 Mercedes thing was something that Mercedes North America came up with. At one time the oil change was free using Mobil 1 during the warranty period, but that ended on January 1, 2005. Mobil quit giving away free oil. The new Mercedes oil spec is 229.5 and the only Mobil 1 product to meet this spec is the 0W40. Sad to say most dealers are using 5W30 (at least the one's where I live).

5 years from now no one will question what MB requires today.
I seriously doubt there is any metal floating around inside the new engine. Modern manufacturing methods yield an engine that is very clean inside.
We saw a Porsche Toureg ( if memory serves) on this site that had its first change at 18,000 per OLM.
We're questioning the judgement of the leaders of the industry Honda,MB, Porsche. They say leave it in and use extended OCIs with approved oil. I say they know what they're talking about.

quote:

They took 2-1/2hours to inspect your car and change nothing?

I thought they were looking for defects during the 2 hour inspection?

[ January 26, 2005, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: seotaji ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back