Service dept uses unapproved oil. Looking for advice (M-Benz GLC 300)

I typically recommend sticking to mnfcr recommendations but I don't think you will have a problem with that oil for 5k miles.

On the other hand, one of my neighbors owns a 2015 CLA with over 150k miles. He's used nothing but Mobil1 AFE 0w30 since new with zero issues. No idea of his intervals. And of course...he swears by it.

Hello, BITOG experts,

This is my first post and I'd like to start by expressing my admiration for the depth of knowledge and expertise demonstrated by the community here when it comes to all things related to motor oils. It's truly impressive, and I haven't found a better source of advice on the web than right here at BITOG. With that said, I hope to benefit from your invaluable insights.

Earlier this year, I acquired a Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 with the M274 Engine (turbo 4 cyl) at approximately 55,000 miles on the odometer. According to the online service records, the vehicle has received regular oil changes at the Mercedes Benz dealership every 10,000 miles and has been maintained according to manufacturer's recommendations. One owner used as a personal vehicle.

I'm currently covered by an extended warranty provided by the nationwide used car retailer from whom I purchased the vehicle. My first oil change under this warranty took place at around 65,000 miles at their service department. They are responsible for the warranty, so I thought any issues that may arise would be their responsibility.

Recently, I discovered BITOG and became engrossed in the topic of motor oil. I'm continuously learning and expanding my knowledge in this area. It was during this process that I realized the service department where I bought the vehicle used an unapproved oil type for the car, specifically "Fram Oil" with a viscosity of 0W-30. There's speculation that this oil may be "Amelie Elixir" Given that the used car retailer performs oil changes at the time of sale, I've been running on this oil for nearly 15,000 miles now. I drive around 1200 miles a month.

I would greatly appreciate your recommendations on how to address this situation. I am looking for:

1. Minimizing the risk of LSPI.
2. Keeping the engine in good condition for as many years and miles as possible even after the warranty period. My extended warranty expires at 125,000 miles. M274 has a lot of history with piston getting cracked, which I realized after the purchase unfortunately.

Here are my specific questions:

1. Is "Fram Oil" at 0W-30 safe for this vehicle, despite it being unapproved? If it is safe, should I continue using it for future oil changes? They charge around $75 for the oil and filter change (Mann brand).

2. If this oil is not recommended for my vehicle, what would be your top choice for an alternative oil that has low calcium content and offers excellent long-term wear protection? Fuel efficiency is not a concern for me. Is Mobil 1 FS the right oil or is there a better one for me? I would probably go DIY and get one of those manual fluid extractors to do the job. I want to start 5,000 miles intervals.

3. What is the viscosity you would recommend? (Located in West NC)

As a side note, I've recently noticed a ticking noise during the first 15-20 minutes of my morning drive, which then gradually diminishes. I'm not certain if this noise has always been present or if I've only started noticing it recently. I tried using a can of Liqui Moly lifter additive, and after around 140 miles over two days, the noise has significantly reduced. It has been helpful thus far, and I'm eager to observe its long-term effects in the coming weeks.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I'm grateful for all the insightful discussions taking place within this community.
15 K is well past any manufacturer's change interval. Get out your owner's manual and study it. As far as "Fram oil", any brand that attains your manufacturer's specifications (again, read the manual), is fine. I use whatever synthetic I can find on sale that attains those specs along with a good filter that is designed for extended change intervals. Your thought of a 5 k interval based on your type of driving is a good way to keep things right. 15 k, not so much. Good luck with it.

Fram is Amalie

It will be fine for this run of 10k

Go with the Euro 0w40 or 5w40 next time

I have a CLA 250 4MATIC that has been running on STP ( Amalie) Euro 5w40 for about 30k now

The Mercedes purists on here will chime in on owning Mercedes and thier preferred use .....wait for it Mobil1 Euro 0w40

Good luck on the decision
I use Amalie Elixir 5W40 in my 15 E250 Bluetec (diesel). The oil is spec'd for MB 229.51 and I have had no problems at all. 5k oil change is my baseline and I have taken it up to almost 9k with subsequent lab analysis showing about 40% of additive package remains with no measurable metals or contaminants at 100k on the car. Now at 140k, all good after a 7500 mile round trip to the west coast.

I use Amalie Elixir 5W40 in my 15 E250 Bluetec (diesel). The oil is spec'd for MB 229.51 and I have had no problems at all. 5k oil change is my baseline and I have taken it up to almost 9k with subsequent lab analysis showing about 40% of additive package remains with no measurable metals or contaminants at 100k on the car. Now at 140k, all good after a 7500 mile round trip to the west coast.
Just to be clear however, no Amalie oil has Mercedes-Benz 229.51 approval.

I didn't see Amalie (of any type) on the MB 229.5x approval list.

If you need a 229.51, start here.

How did the analysis show “40%” of the additive package left? What did they measure, to substantiate that percentage?

Hello, BITOG experts,

This is my first post and I'd like to start by expressing my admiration for the depth of knowledge and expertise demonstrated by the community here when it comes to all things related to motor oils. It's truly impressive, and I haven't found a better source of advice on the web than right here at BITOG. With that said, I hope to benefit from your invaluable insights.

Earlier this year, I acquired a Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 with the M274 Engine (turbo 4 cyl) at approximately 55,000 miles on the odometer. According to the online service records, the vehicle has received regular oil changes at the Mercedes Benz dealership every 10,000 miles and has been maintained according to manufacturer's recommendations. One owner used as a personal vehicle.

I'm currently covered by an extended warranty provided by the nationwide used car retailer from whom I purchased the vehicle. My first oil change under this warranty took place at around 65,000 miles at their service department. They are responsible for the warranty, so I thought any issues that may arise would be their responsibility.

Recently, I discovered BITOG and became engrossed in the topic of motor oil. I'm continuously learning and expanding my knowledge in this area. It was during this process that I realized the service department where I bought the vehicle used an unapproved oil type for the car, specifically "Fram Oil" with a viscosity of 0W-30. There's speculation that this oil may be "Amelie Elixir" Given that the used car retailer performs oil changes at the time of sale, I've been running on this oil for nearly 15,000 miles now. I drive around 1200 miles a month.

I would greatly appreciate your recommendations on how to address this situation. I am looking for:

1. Minimizing the risk of LSPI.
2. Keeping the engine in good condition for as many years and miles as possible even after the warranty period. My extended warranty expires at 125,000 miles. M274 has a lot of history with piston getting cracked, which I realized after the purchase unfortunately.

Here are my specific questions:

1. Is "Fram Oil" at 0W-30 safe for this vehicle, despite it being unapproved? If it is safe, should I continue using it for future oil changes? They charge around $75 for the oil and filter change (Mann brand).

2. If this oil is not recommended for my vehicle, what would be your top choice for an alternative oil that has low calcium content and offers excellent long-term wear protection? Fuel efficiency is not a concern for me. Is Mobil 1 FS the right oil or is there a better one for me? I would probably go DIY and get one of those manual fluid extractors to do the job. I want to start 5,000 miles intervals.

3. What is the viscosity you would recommend? (Located in West NC)

As a side note, I've recently noticed a ticking noise during the first 15-20 minutes of my morning drive, which then gradually diminishes. I'm not certain if this noise has always been present or if I've only started noticing it recently. I tried using a can of Liqui Moly lifter additive, and after around 140 miles over two days, the noise has significantly reduced. It has been helpful thus far, and I'm eager to observe its long-term effects in the coming weeks.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I'm grateful for all the insightful discussions taking place within this community.
Buy yourself a vacuum oil extractor and change the oil yourself. Filter is on the top and easy to change. Do 5k oic's. MB dealers use this extraction method.

Fram is Amalie

It will be fine for this run of 10k

Go with the Euro 0w40 or 5w40 next time

I have a CLA 250 4MATIC that has been running on STP ( Amalie) Euro 5w40 for about 30k now

The Mercedes purists on here will chime in on owning Mercedes and thier preferred use .....wait for it Mobil1 Euro 0w40

Good luck on the decision
Well my daughter's 99 MB 3.2 V6 has over 380k on it with Mobil 1 0-40 so yes I recommend it Mr. Snarky.

If you need a 229.51, start here.

How did the analysis show “40%” of the additive package left? What did they measure, to substantiate that percentage?
Blackstone Labs tested and provided baseline markers along with the actual measured. I’m not a chemE so I’m at a loss to provide additional to you. Maybe a query of the various labs would be appropriate for your interest in the test protocol.

Amalie states that it does.
only Amalie Elixir FULL SYNTHETIC 5W-40 is on the list i can find.

Be careful though, it doest matter what Amalie says, it matters if it is on the official list if you're concerned about it... the official list appears to be more difficult than one would expect to find.

Blackstone Labs tested and provided baseline markers along with the actual measured. I’m not a chemE so I’m at a loss to provide additional to you. Maybe a query of the various labs would be appropriate for your interest in the test protocol.
Wut? A $30 spectrographic analysis confirms the entirety of a manufacturer approval? Tell that to Mercedes-Benz. It will save everyone a lot of work.

I appreciate you replying. My question was rhetorical in nature. I'm familiar with the test protocol.

No need to be a chemical engineer, here is a guide that might be helpful

Amalie recommends it for use in those applications. They state that it meets specifications.

Mercedes did not approve it.

Big difference.

I linked a very helpful resource from Mercedes itself. You can see what they actually approved. And by elimination, what they did not.

Yeah I question that since as DuckRyder noted it’s not on the Bevo list nor does Amalie list the approval with the correct terminology.

Plus, some of the approvals in the list are mutually exclusive to each other. One oil cannot have all those approvals simultaneously.

German cars are really special, needing these women's approval, Amalie or Bevo? I would lower the interval to 5000 miles with a turbo engine. Mobile 1 is good oil. and so is most oil sold at Wallyworld. Many here overthink oil.

German cars are really special, needing these women's approval, Amalie or Bevo? I would lower the interval to 5000 miles with a turbo engine. Mobile 1 is good oil. and so is most oil sold at Wallyworld. Many here overthink oil.
Buy a turbo Mercedes, make it an expensive one, and follow your own advice.

Use an oil that doesn’t meet specification.

Let us know how you make out.

Back