Service dept uses unapproved oil. Looking for advice (M-Benz GLC 300)

German cars are really special, needing these women's approval, Amalie or Bevo? I would lower the interval to 5000 miles with a turbo engine. Mobile 1 is good oil. and so is most oil sold at Wallyworld. Many here overthink oil.
IMG_1721.jpeg

Amalie can claim whatever they want. You have to conduct your own research and due diligence. If you also check the O'Reilly Euro 5W-40, it claims that it has the Mercedes 229.3 and 229.5 approvals but that is BS. Mercedes doesn't even list them on their websites.

• Wow
Reactions: 4WD
Good choice on the M1 0W-40!

CAUTION: Only put in the amount that you extracted, if the level on the dipstick or meter was good!!! Then make sure your oil level is not above the high mark, if you have a dipstick or level meter.

Your engine is different than mine but when I extracted everything I could out of my MB M133 engine (2.0L turbo) there was still a quart or so more of oil still in the pan. I couldn't get all the oil fully extracted with a pump in the dipstick tube. If I added the normal amount of oil for an oil change, I would have been quite a bit more than what is required. From my understanding, for this engine (M133), any overfill of the sump will cause problems with the PCV system; a costly fix. I am not sure but I hope yours's is not as sensitive to an overfill.

Anyhow, sampling the oil at the interval you mentioned would be interesting, looking forward to the results. The M1 0W-40 is worlds better than what was previously poured in and should exceed the specification you are looking for.
When I last changed my oil in the 2018 E300 (same engine), I drove the front wheels up on a pair of plastic ramps. I measured the amount that I got out using my manuals suction pump through the dipstick tube.
It was the same amount that I get out when changing through the drain plug.

When I last changed my oil in the 2018 E300 (same engine), I drove the front wheels up on a pair of plastic ramps. I measured the amount that I got out using my manuals suction pump through the dipstick tube.
It was the same amount that I get out when changing through the drain plug.
Good to hear there should be no issues with extracting the full amount of fluid from the engine!

By the way, I have already switched to M1 FS 0W-40 (SP) after this sample.

Been running on the new oil for the last 2,000 miles. I will get another UOA on the new M1 FS 0W-40 SP at exactly 3,000 miles.
You would do us a favor if you do UOA at 5k and also pay for TBN and TAN. That will give you much better picture of how oil does in your application. Considering quality of M1 0W40, you shouldn’t have absolutely any concerns running it 5k.

You would do us a favor if you do UOA at 5k and also pay for TBN and TAN. That will give you much better picture of how oil does in your application. Considering quality of M1 0W40, you shouldn’t have absolutely any concerns running it 5k.
That’s the plan 👍 I’ll share the results.

Good choice on the M1 0W-40!

CAUTION: Only put in the amount that you extracted, if the level on the dipstick or meter was good!!! Then make sure your oil level is not above the high mark, if you have a dipstick or level meter.

Your engine is different than mine but when I extracted everything I could out of my MB M133 engine (2.0L turbo) there was still a quart or so more of oil still in the pan. I couldn't get all the oil fully extracted with a pump in the dipstick tube. If I added the normal amount of oil for an oil change, I would have been quite a bit more than what is required. From my understanding, for this engine (M133), any overfill of the sump will cause problems with the PCV system; a costly fix. I am not sure but I hope yours's is not as sensitive to an overfill.

Anyhow, sampling the oil at the interval you mentioned would be interesting, looking forward to the results. The M1 0W-40 is worlds better than what was previously poured in and should exceed the specification you are looking for.
Typically the dipstick runs down to the front side of the pan. If you have the car up on jacks or have a typical inclined driveway such that the oil drains toward the rear of the pan, you may not get all the oil out. Thats one reason the oil drain is typically in the rear.

So they just keep incrementing by a letter? The next upgrade will be SQ? I'm waiting on them to get through all the S's because who doesn't want top quality TA?

Not sure if you were serious or not…

Back