HPL oil choice for a 600hp V8 TT?

FCP sent the OEM Hengst filters, instead of the upgraded synthetic media filters. I used the Hengst filter because it was the same exact thing as what I pulled out. Mercedes don’t actually make their own filters anyway.

It is SO annoying after adding around 9 quarts of oil, have to figure out how to actually figure out the oil level. There is no dipstick (stupid) so the only choice is the electronic level check. Took me a frickin hour to figure out that oil level cannot be measured electronically unless the hood is closed. So stupid.

/rant
What is the benefit of doing away with the dipstick?

I had a BMW for a while that had a sensor to report the coolant level. That thing was a BIG pain. Down a skosh and the dash light came on all for just a few ounces of coolant.

What is the benefit of doing away with the dipstick?

I had a BMW for a while that had a sensor to report the coolant level. That thing was a BIG pain. Down a skosh and the dash light came on all for just a few ounces of coolant.
Easier to check. Certainly cleaner. More accurate.

There are a lot of people who check on the oil is cold, but oil expands with temperature so while that check may be precise, it is not accurate.

There are a lot of people who check the oil immediately after shut down, instead of waiting the required amount of time leading to an inaccurate level.

So, the Mercedes system will only allow you to check warm oil after the engine has been shut down for a certain number of minutes.

Not a bad system.

IMG_2316.jpeg

The dipstick was invented by pennypinching bean counters to replace the oil level gauge that existed over 90 years ago. It’s fine for your lawnmower, perhaps even your garden tractor. But on a six figure car? Come on man…

IMG_2296.jpeg

The state of the art long before you were born. No need to get one’s hands dirty…no need for a rag…

Stated capacity in mine is 9.5 quarts. And if I add only 9.0, it is unhappy. It actually takes 9.5 to get an “oil level OK” reading. So, as a matter of course, I just add 10.0. Easily done with 5quart jugs or even 1 quart bottles. I like the round number.

The thing is very accurate.

There are a lot of people who check on the oil is cold, but oil expands with temperature so while that check may be precise, it is not accurate.

There are a lot of people who check the oil immediately after shut down, instead of waiting the required amount of time leading to an inaccurate level.

So, the Mercedes system will only allow you to check warm oil after the engine has been shut down for a certain number of minutes.

Not a bad system.

The dipstick was invented by pennypinching bean counters to replace the oil level gauge that existed over 90 years ago. It’s fine for your lawnmower, perhaps even your garden tractor. But on a six figure car? Come on man…

The state of the art long before you were born. No need to get one’s hands dirty…no need for a rag…
Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

Not a bad system.

View attachment 179566

View attachment 179567

Oh man, when you put it like that, how can I disagree?! On the other hand, I would be much happier if they just made it a bit simpler to use. For example, hood has to be closed before it would give a readout. Says something like “oil level system unavailable” instead of “ close hood to display oil lelel”. Not sure why the hood needs to be closed but I suppose there could be some reason.

Also, similarly, you can’t access the “workshop menu” unless the driver’s door is closed. Took me over an hour to figure that out, but at least I learned my lesson there and it took me less time to figure out the hood issue to read the oil level.

The workshop menu does have a cool feature where it tells you the amount of oil in the system to the nearest 0.1 liter and how much to add to fill to the max level.

These filter element cartridge style filters, or whatever they’re called, are pretty neat. Looks pretty good, no sludge or particulates otherwise.

Also have a couple containers to send out for UOA and VOA, first time ever doing that!

IMG_7226.jpeg

IMG_7227.jpeg

IMG_7229.jpeg

Very much like the oil filter in my B48 engine. And, it has the same "no dipstick" (other than the driver perhaps) oil measurement system. None of my Mini's have ever burned oil, so, it's not a big deal after the engine is warm to simply put it in Park on a level surface and bring up the Check Oil Menu and let it run for the 30 seconds it takes. Mine stays full and when I measure the old oil during a change-out, it's nearly the same volume as I put in. When I feel I need to check a dipstick, I go open the hood of my other two cars and wipe/insert/wipe until I'm content.

FCP sent the OEM Hengst filters, instead of the upgraded synthetic media filters. I used the Hengst filter because it was the same exact thing as what I pulled out. Mercedes don’t actually make their own filters anyway.

It is SO annoying after adding around 9 quarts of oil, have to figure out how to actually figure out the oil level. There is no dipstick (stupid) so the only choice is the electronic level check. Took me a frickin hour to figure out that oil level cannot be measured electronically unless the hood is closed. So stupid.

/rant

leave it to the Germans for technical innovations like that.

Brother is an engineer who worked at GKN for a period of time.
if you don't know who GKN is, in a nutshell they supply about 80% of the world with CV joints and halfshafts.

my brother had a German boss.
Apparently my brother wanted to change departments
German Boss asked him
"do you know what the problems with Americans is"
brother said what.

German Boss says " Americans have no loyalty"

my brother then asked the German boss if he knew what the problem with Germans was.
of course the German boss needed the answer.

Germans are all azznozzles. :)

that my opinion of why they do things the way they are.
they get a patent and royalties on great ideas
but screw the rest of the world over in the process
somebody in Timbuktoo who needs to check the oil..

My reply was simply playing devils advocate. I actually like the dipstick because I can see the color of the oil and smell the oil if I choose… on an old carbureted car, I found both of those things useful.

I’ve since learned from my time here that color makes no difference, and the smell may be misleading.

And I understand the attraction of being able to physically see the oil on the dipstick.

But as I found over several oil changes on the V12s, the measuring device is really accurate. And now that I’m used to it, I can flip through the menu pretty quick when filling up. I have to point out that the car really does need to be dead level, because it is that sensitive. My shop floor is the reference, if it’s good there - it’s good.

I need to close the hood in order to get a level is a real pain during an oil change. But I think you’ll get a feel for exactly what it takes, then simply add that next time and be good to go.

These filter element cartridge style filters, or whatever they’re called, are pretty neat. Looks pretty good, no sludge or particulates otherwise.

Also have a couple containers to send out for UOA and VOA, first time ever doing that!

View attachment 179665

View attachment 179666
View attachment 179668

The HPL oil you put in is from a different company than the one that heavily advertised and is the oil of the day on this forum.

Your oil....

Id consider using an oil that is ACTUALLY mb 229.5 and porsche a40 CERTIFIED.

Neither HPL oils are.

There are plenty easy to find ones out there.

M1 0w40 is one

I did consider it. M1 is what was already in the car.

The oil was purchased from advlubrication.com, with a forum discount. I’m not sure why it came in bottles that are a different color. Are you suggesting that it is not genuine?

The oil was purchased from advlubrication.com, with a forum discount. I’m not sure why it came in bottles that are a different color. Are you suggesting that it is not genuine?
There are two companies that sell HPL. The same plant makes the oil but there are distribution rights and relationships that have to do with the consumer market and the racing team market.

What you got is genuine, it’s just that you went through the other distributor.

Most of us go through this site:

As far as using HPL and the MB 229.5, I trust David and the team to make a good oil.

It’s what’s in my S600, and next oil change it’ll be in the SL 600.

They sent you the wrong oil. That's not the same one.

This is where the order was placed with discount! Not sure why I got the black and red.

This is where the order was placed with discount! Not sure why I got the black and red.
It's not the correct oil. They're not the same product.

The bottles should look like this (only yours would be 5w40 or 0w40):

1695299351391.png

Last edited:
It's not the correct oil.
I’m not so sure. If he placed the order through advanced lubrication, then he’s got the correct oil. Both product lines are made in the same factory. It’s a bottling issue, not a product issue.

I’m not so sure. If he placed the order through advanced lubrication, then he’s got the correct oil. Both product lines are made in the same factory. It’s a bottling issue, not a product issue.
No they're different oils. I'm pretty sure. I could be wrong though.

This is not the same product.

This comes up quite frequently.

Last edited:
Back