HPL oil choice for a 600hp V8 TT?

Hi guys! New member here.

My current daily driver is a 2018 Mercedes Benz S63 Cabriolet. I’ve had it since 2019, bought off a 2-year lease (huge initial depreciation hit on these cars!), currently with just under 30000 miles on it. I really love it. So comfortable and powerful. The engine is an M177 twin scroll turbocharged 4.0 liter direct injection V8 putting out just over 600hp. So pretty power dense. It’s a heavy car but hustles!

The dealership was doing regular service interval oil changes every year for the first two years that I owned it. Now that it’s off warranty, it’s seen a mix of dealer and local indy shop services. I recently swapped the brakes on it to the carbon ceramics myself, so not afraid to wrench, and decided that I will service it myself now. Even the indy shop cost would be more than me doing it myself.

In my other cars I’ve used Mobil 1 or Motul synthetics. I’ve decided to go ahead and do the regular service myself now and was looking for a great oil. I would typically stick to Mobil 1 0w40 or Motul 8100 Xmax 0w40. That is, until I found this forum and learned just enough to be dangerous 😊. Don’t misunderstand, I get that Mobil 1 and Motul are actually great oils. Then I’ve seen posts about Amsoil, Redline, Driven, Ravenol, and HPL and thought I should read some more.

I would like stick to the regular OCI of once per year or 10000 miles. I never put more than around 5000-7000 miles on it though in a year, an equal mix of local streets and highway driving in south Texas. We see freezing temps sometimes, but only a handful of days per year (2021 Texas power crisis excluded).

I thought HPL would be a solid choice and initially purchased a case of their regular PCMO 5w40. Reading the specs though, I second guessed that initial recommendation from HPL and went ahead and ordered a case of Super Car 5w40 because it is advertised as meeting or exceeding the MB295.5 spec that is recommended by Mercedes. A case cost about the same as a case of their Euro version of that oil, which is also advertised as meeting the same spec.

So, while I wait for the oil filters to arrive from FCP Euro, I thought I'd ask the oil geeks here. Should I go ahead and stick with the Super Car for the next service interval, or perhaps switch to the Euro version. I've read here somewhere that the Euro version has a more "modern" additive pack, whatever that means! Inspecting the oil filter should be easy because it's cartridge style. Any benefits to a UOA and/or VOA? I'd probably use Amsoil's service for that because I understand that they may be using one of the recommended labs (Polaris?) on this forum.

IMG_3696.jpg

I think I would contact Dave @High Performance Lubricants just to make sure. with horsepower like that I wouldn't put anything to chance in my guess is if you're not done with it and are considering upgrading the power you might want to let him know that when you have a discussion is that would be imperative to decide what's really going to work best. I would also visit with him about transmission fluid so you can put all that power down without destroying the transmission. nice looking car!

Thanks! I have always dreamed of running some HRE’s since I learned of their existence maybe over 25 years ago. I was looking for some new rims to replace the steelies on my Mitsubishi Eclipse (loved that car!), but alas HRE was well outside my budget at the time. Settled for some decent TSW cast rims, which did serve me well for sure :)

Thanks guys. I will go ahead with the Super Car 5w40 and maybe switch to Euro line next service interval.
The Super Car 5W40 and the Euro 5W40 are the same oil.

After talking with David at @High Performance Lubricants, that 5W40 Super Car is the oil I chose for my S600.

Not quite the power density of your S class, but the twin turbo V-12 sure is smooth…

Would love to have a V12 Benz someday. Very nice!

Super Car and Euro lines are priced pretty much the same also, so you might be right. I did some more reading and looks like Euro might be low SAPS and Super Car full SAPS. But it probably doesn’t matter for my non diesel application anyway.

Would love to have a V12 Benz someday. Very nice!

Super Car and Euro lines are priced pretty much the same also, so you might be right. I did some more reading and looks like Euro might be low SAPS and Super Car full SAPS. But it probably doesn’t matter for my non diesel application anyway.
Might be worth sending HPL a message. See what they recommend.

Well FCP delivered the wrong oil filters to me today. Pretty disappointing for my first order. May have to put off my overdue OC for another week or so.

Well FCP delivered the wrong oil filters to me today. Pretty disappointing for my first order. May have to put off my overdue OC for another week or so.
I buy my filters at the local MB dealer. You know they’re genuine. You know they fit. They’re good for 10,000 miles, so saving a couple dollars on a filter that lasts that long isn’t really a savings.

edit: FCP has been great in supplying parts over the years, but they are not always cheapest or best. My dealer can often beat their price. Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount. Bring your parts guys a Starbucks gift card now and then. Show some appreciation. They’ve been a big help to me.

Last edited:
FCP sent the OEM Hengst filters, instead of the upgraded synthetic media filters. I used the Hengst filter because it was the same exact thing as what I pulled out. Mercedes don’t actually make their own filters anyway.

It is SO annoying after adding around 9 quarts of oil, have to figure out how to actually figure out the oil level. There is no dipstick (stupid) so the only choice is the electronic level check. Took me a frickin hour to figure out that oil level cannot be measured electronically unless the hood is closed. So stupid.

/rant

Back