0W16 for new Venza

Are there any reasons other than fuel economy to use 0W16? Just wondering if the engine design (bearings, rings, etc) require it for adequate lubrication. Thanks.

Are there any reasons other than fuel economy to use 0W16? Just wondering if the engine design (bearings, rings, etc) require it for adequate lubrication. Thanks.
No. For a vehicle that size, I'd use something like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Using a different oil viscosity won't impact your warranty. Look in your owner's manual and see what it says about that.

That would be a new one if warranty is predicated on the grade. Every owner's manual and warranty book excerpt that has been posted here states that warranty is predicated on damage.

Here are a few existing threads on 0W-16 oil. Some are quite lengthy and most at least touch on fuel economy as the reasoning.

Lots of uninformed speculation as well, which will no doubt be a component of this thread.

And no it’s never required. An engine can have design features that allow the use of thinner oils without excessive wear but that never precludes the use of a higher grade.

Last edited:
No. For a vehicle that size, I'd use something like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Using a different oil viscosity won't impact your warranty. Look in your owner's manual and see what it says about that.
You really can't say that with any certainty, and shouldn't be spreading it. A dealer can deny you warranty pretty easily. You can argue semantics of the owners manual all you want but if they really want to fight you court would be the ending option. And I promise they have more money than you or any of us.

Here are a few existing threads on 0W-16 oil. Some are quite lengthy and most at least touch on fuel economy as the reasoning.

Lots of uninformed speculation as well, which will no doubt be a component of this thread.

And no it’s never required. An engine can have design features that allow the use of thinner oils without excessive wear but that never precludes the use of a higher grade.
I'd be more interested in the main and rod bearing clearances on the engine in the Venza. There's a limit to how tight you can fit them. The other problem is how consistent is the manufacturer with their clearances? The clearance ranges should answer that. I seriously doubt they're any tighter than and engine that would call for a 20-grade.

It's a 2.5L NA 4-cylinder with a breathtaking 176 HP. Looks to me like this engine's been neutered from the get go, most likely for emissions purposes.

You really can't say that with any certainty, and shouldn't be spreading it. A dealer can deny you warranty pretty easily. You can argue semantics of the owners manual all you want but if they really want to fight you court would be the ending option. And I promise they have more money than you or any of us.
1710343573196.jpg

Many People here readily discount the warranty issue. While I am not a fan of these thin oils, it is what the manufacturer specifies and what you want as a consumer is for the dealer to repair the car, not to have a debate with the dealer (or the manufacturer) about whether your non-specification viscosity caused an issue. Not that I think it would actually cause an issue, but that is not the point, this is really about not having to get into an argument when or if you need your car repaired. Unless the folks here telling you to diverge from the manual recommendation have something in writing from the manufacturer, it is a risk I would not take.

This seems like another good one to check the Toyota lube recommendations for this motor which is sold around the world. If you feel uneasy about Toyota recommendations for the US, check what they allow for Australia, Middle East, Mexico, etc.

@artbuc, the OP, didn't seem to have any concerns about the warranty, as his original question simply asked if there is any other reason to use 0W-16 besides fuel economy. His question implied technical reasons, not warranty related reasons. I find it weird, to say the least, when the Downer Dans pop up in every similar thread and start harping on about warranty. The OP didn't ask that, why bother interjecting?

Now, bellow is page 483 from the Venza Hybrid's owner manual. Please read the highlighted section. What does it say?

Even the manufacturer is concerned about the vehicle being operated on 0W-16 outside of the narrow safety margin of driving it empty, except for passengers, at normal speeds, in a moderate climate, without towing. That right there should be clarification enough about what's right and what's wrong in the eyes of the manufacturer, who by the way, is obligated by the EPA to shove 0W-16 down customer's throats because that is the oil they used to pass the emissions and the fuel economy tests.

venza.jpg

Last edited:
How are they going to prove you used 0W-20 or even - gasp! - 0W-30, instead of 0W-16, in the event of an engine failure under warranty?

Clue - they're not. Clue the second - a receipt with oil on it means nothing, aside from the fact that you did, indeed, buy that oil. It means nothing when it comes to car warranty.

How will you get receipts for 0w16 oil you didn't use? Please tell me you would buy it and return it. I need a good laugh.

Thx Invisible. You are correct…I am not concerned about warranty. You and kschachn answered my question. No mechanical/design requirements driving 0W16.

@artbuc, the OP, didn't seem to have any concerns about the warranty, as his original question simply asked if there is any other reason to use 0W-16 besides fuel economy. His question implied technical reasons, not warranty related reasons. I find it weird, to say the least, when the Downer Dans pop up in every similar thread and start harping on about warranty. The OP didn't ask that, why bother interjecting?

Now, bellow is page 483 from the Venza Hybrid's owner manual. Please read the highlighted section. What does it say?

Even the manufacturer is concerned about the vehicle being operated on 0W-16 outside of the narrow safety margin of driving it empty, except for passengers, at normal speeds, in a moderate climate, without towing. That right there should be clarification enough about what's right and what's wrong in the eyes of the manufacturer, who by the way, is obligated by the EPA to shove 0W-16 down customer's throats because that is the oil they used to pass the emissions and the fuel economy tests.

View attachment 208096

How are they going to prove you used 0W-20 or even - gasp! - 0W-30, instead of 0W-16, in the event of an engine failure under warranty?

Clue - they're not. Clue the second - a receipt with oil on it means nothing, aside from the fact that you did, indeed, buy that oil. It means nothing when it comes to car warranty.

They would have a very hard time proving that someone used 0w20 instead of 0w16 simply because the difference in viscosity between those two oils is actually pretty minimal. Case in point, M1 0w16 has a viscosity of 7.6 at 100c while their 0w20 AFE is 8.2. Your engine honestly won't know the difference between those two oils and even a viscosity test in a UOA would not easily be able to discern between the two either.

As a side note, it's very likely that a good number of 0w20s out there are thinning out to a 0w16 once in service for a few thousand miles, especially with any amount of fuel dilution.

How will you get receipts for 0w16 oil you didn't use? Please tell me you would buy it and return it. I need a good laugh.

A successful warranty claim depends on two things:

1) The nationwide directives that the manufacturer enforces for warranty claims, and how they are handled. These change periodically, stiffening up during economic downturns, and relaxing when the economy does well. No amount of receipts or convincing, or services performed at the dealer will change how the manufacturer wants to cut its loses or help the customer.

2) Your relationship with the dealer. Are you friendly with the dealer, do you do a lot of business, buy cars regularly, service your car there all the time? Do you have value for the dealer? If you only bought one vehicle there, even with all the oil changes in the world done at the dealership, they will put minimal effort into helping you push a warranty claim through, as they have a lot of discretion in how they present it to the manufacturer. The manufacturer trusts the dealer, not the customer.

Conclusively, using the "recommended" 0W-16 won't swing a potential claim in either direction.

It's a 2.5L NA 4-cylinder with a breathtaking 176 HP. Looks to me like this engine's been neutered from the get go, most likely for emissions purposes.
The OP's Venza is a hybrid and the engine is an Atkinson-cycle engine which gives better fuel economy, but at the cost of high RPM horsepower, and only works well within a narrow RPM range. Perfect for a hybrid.

If it is allowed then it is allowed. That goes for 0W16 as well as 0W20. List of all the oils used in the Toyota so far. I cannot tell a bit of difference with any of it. Not even MPG wise.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W16
Valvoline Advanced 0W16
Pennzoil Platinum 0W16
Mobil1 AFE 0W16
Pennzoil Platinum 0W20

PP 0W20 is in it now with PP 0W16 coming up next. 80K miles on mostly 16. Might permanently go to 20 one day. Probably would not make a difference either way.

No......that same engine around the world will have different weights based on the ambient temp......

16 is only for CAFE reasons.

Back