0W16 for new Venza

@artbuc, the OP, didn't seem to have any concerns about the warranty, as his original question simply asked if there is any other reason to use 0W-16 besides fuel economy. His question implied technical reasons, not warranty related reasons. I find it weird, to say the least, when the Downer Dans pop up in every similar thread and start harping on about warranty. The OP didn't ask that, why bother interjecting?

Now, bellow is page 483 from the Venza Hybrid's owner manual. Please read the highlighted section. What does it say?

Even the manufacturer is concerned about the vehicle being operated on 0W-16 outside of the narrow safety margin of driving it empty, except for passengers, at normal speeds, in a moderate climate, without towing. That right there should be clarification enough about what's right and what's wrong in the eyes of the manufacturer, who by the way, is obligated by the EPA to shove 0W-16 down customer's throats because that is the oil they used to pass the emissions and the fuel economy tests.

View attachment 208096
Both of my hyundai and kia manuals also state that recommendation.
Simple.....you drive hot and loaded up increase the viscosity.

Thx Invisible. You are correct…I am not concerned about warranty. You and kschachn answered my question. No mechanical/design requirements driving 0W16.
While I don't think there is any mechanical/design requirements driving 0W16. There are however, mechanical/design enablers that allow an engine run on 0W16 oil. Stuff that comes to mind is main/conrod bearing coatings, cylinder wall liners, piston ring coating, variable displacement oil pumps, oil temperature control. There's probably countless more but you get the idea. There is no way they just spec an engine to run on 0W16 without evaluating it at the design phase.

0w-20 would be fine,change out at 5k 8k , Amsoil ,HPl,,,Royal Purple PCMO , etc, and good filter,oem,fram ultra ,wix xp,,

Let me just say this - I don't give a darn about using a thin oil "for the warranty..OMG you can't use a thicker oil..the warranty!" I see it this way - first the chance of severe engine issues during the warranty period is very slim and even if - they are not going to run an oil analysis to see what oil was in there as long as its clean and been maintained. Second - the owner's manuals in most all vehicles (including the Versa) say you can use a thicker oil under high speed use or whatever severe duty...THAT alone tell me the thinner oil is not protecting as well as the thicker. Point Blank by their own words. Thirdly - I have always ran 5w/30 in my 3 vehicles that call for 5w/20 (Ram, JGC, Gladiator) and these very motors used to be spec'd 5w/30 before moving to 5w/20 for MPG reasons only. Lastly - WHY would you run an oil that may not provide as good protection during the warranty period possibly causing small additional wear if you are keeping it long term? It's like lets shorten the life of my motor for the "warranty" then after that i have issues years down the road...the warranty is no longer there to cover you.

Note - I know I am being extreme and I know thinner oils won't hurt you but a thicker oil my be better in certain applications.

Are there any reasons other than fuel economy to use 0W16? Just wondering if the engine design (bearings, rings, etc) require it for adequate lubrication. Thanks.
I think it's warranty but I looked up and here is all the stuff. I believe Ravenol even makes a 5w16, but the guy in the back of the laundromat where they hide the slot machines says go with at least a 20wt 😆.

Screenshot_20240313_233741_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20240313_233758_Brave.jpg

The owner manual does not require 0w-16, it recommends it. Two different things. If it was that important for the warranty, the language would have been very different in the manual.

IMO, “thin” oils are fine if the car is driven “normally” and Toyota engineered the new Dynamic Force engines to be flexible with oil viscosity. I’m not surprised if they left Japan or Kentucky/West Virginia/Alabama with 0W-8/16/20. In the US and Canada, it’s worded for CAFE, probably the same same case in Europe but with a little more leeway, and in LATAM/APAC thicker oils are allowed.

Now, if you’re driving for Uber/Lyft/Doordash or other “abnormal” driving(off-roading or towing) and even high-speed freeway driving, consider a thicker oil - and Toyota seems to agree by saying “higher viscosity oil protects better in high speed or loaded driving”.

Here's a crazy notion...maybe the engineers at toyota might maybe know what they are doing better than a bunch of people with an internet connection?

Here's a crazy notion...maybe the engineers at toyota might maybe know what they are doing better than a bunch of people with an internet connection?
You cannot ever suggest that on this forum. People just assume the manufacturers are compromised whores and that if they go with the recommended viscosity the engine won’t last for 500k like it should. Most forget the rest of the car is well worn out by 200-250k miles unless major systems (brakes, cooling, HVAC, fuel lines, etc.) are partially or fully rebuilt / validated. Conspiracy theories are more fun.

Maybe, but the engineers are still allowing thicker viscosity in these engines in other regions.

Back