What 0w16 are you using in your newer toyota?

Valvoline and Pennzoil preferably. Mobil 1 as my last choice as it is annoying loud on my 15 Prius and 20 Prius prime. Live in the mountains so they're constantly revved up and it gets on my nerves how loud M1 is compared to the other 0w16 offerings.

a neighbor of mines has a toyota,he did use Mobil 1 and then put in Amsoil ss 0w-30, runs nice and smooth now and actually quieted the engine.

Anybody thought why they say “recommended” and not “required” viscosity? If warranty was an issue, do you think the brilliant manual writers would have changed recommended to requited by now?

Anybody thought why they say “recommended” and not “required” viscosity? If warranty was an issue, do you think the brilliant manual writers would have changed recommended to requited by now?
Also because what's required for the warranty is an oil that doesn't cause damage. An oil of a higher HT/HS isn't going to cause damage, that's not how it works.

Of course all this fear is exactly what the EPA demands in their letter to the automaker.

Has anyone had an issue with Toyota denying a warranty from using 0w20 in place of the 16?
They better not or can't, actually. Their owners manual only recommends 0W-16. There is a world of difference between recommended and required.

Their lawyers must have skipped the part that says you "must" switch back to 0W-20 at the next change though. That contradicts the above. Then again, you or I can simply say "0W-16 wasn't available". 😉

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Magnusson-Moss Act says if a manufacturer requires something in order to maintain warranty, that manufacturer has to provide the "something" at no cost to the consumer.

My 2019 manual says 0w-20 can be used if 16 isn't available. What does your manual say?

View attachment 212396
I think basically everyone's manual from the US says the same. Strong wording that you should use 0w-16. However, if you go to the Australian links and look up the manual for the same car you'll likely find a much more permissive manual. Below is the manual from Australia for the 2021+ Toyota Camry Hybrid. However the one from the US says same as yours and in the maintenance book it says "if you didn't use 0w-16 at your last oil change, change your oil now (which was at 5,000 mile interval instead of 10,000). I'm unsure how they'd handle a warranty claim but I think #1, it is highly unlikely they'd know you were using 5w30 anyways, and being that they do have manuals that suggest you can use 5w30, I don't they'd have a leg to stand on. This appears to be driven by a CAFE/EPA requirement. Also Australia's service book recommends 15km oil changes, so every 9300 miles instead of 10,000mi like the US. I'm assuming they chose these numbers just because they are nice and round. https://toyotamanuals.com.au/docs/camry-hybrid-warranty-service-booklet-may-current/ (service pdf for camry). My next oil change I'm using 0w20 and then after that I may just use 5w30. I'm going to do 7500-8000 mile intervals.

You can find the Australian manual for your vehicle here.

2021+ Australian Owner's manual for Toyota Camry Hybrid
1712337486378.jpg

Last edited:
I'm unsure how they'd handle a warranty claim but I think #1, it is highly unlikely they'd know you were using 5w30 anyways
They'd ask for proof of oil changes and see what oil is used.

and being that they do have manuals that suggest you can use 5w30, I don't they'd have a leg to stand on
Wouldn't surprise me that they try to claim there's something different with the engines, hence the different oil specs.

Also Australia's service book recommends 15km oil changes, so every 9300 miles instead of 10,000mi like the US. I'm assuming they chose these numbers just because they are nice and round.
Yes, round numbers.

I recently started servicing my friend's daughter's beautiful '21 RAV4 hybrid using M1 0w16.
It boggles my mind how much difference 0w20 would make; it's above my pay grade. I just use what the sticker says.

I am curious where do folks find 0W-16 5 qt containers of Castrol? All I can find from regular sources are 1 qt bottles.

Mobil 1 AFE 0w-16 is the only $2x.xx, rest all are $30+

Last edited:
Back