What 0w16 are you using in your newer toyota?

Amsoil 0W-20 Hybrid Oil. Initial drain and fill at 1.1k then at 5k. Will continue with 5k oil change intervals. Would really like to use 0W-30 but will wait after warranty is up.
Using 0W30 Euro LX in my A25. Yes the engine still makes odd DI noises on and off but when they are off it doesn’t sound like a diesel chattering away anymore. Might be a slight increase of fuel use during startup, but otherwise still returning fantastic fuel efficiency numbers when the thing is good and warmed up.

Just like in other cars I’ve used it in, the Euro LX quiets down valve-train noise while both stone cold and fully warmed up.

Last edited:
List of all the oil used in the Toyota so far. I cannot tell a difference with any of it. Not even with MPG going up or down in viscosity. Price, availability and performance are all I care about…

TGMO 0W16
VL AVD 0W16
PP 0W16
M1 AFE 0W16
PP 0W20

Nearly at 75K miles on mostly 16.

List of all the oil used in the Toyota so far. I cannot tell a difference with any of it. Not even with MPG going up or down in viscosity. Price, availability and performance are all I care about…

TGMO 0W16
VL AVD 0W16
PP 0W16
M1 AFE 0W16
PP 0W20

Nearly at 75K miles on mostly 16.
Are you going to continue to run 0W16 while out of warranty?

Here are 0w-16 . Post is 3 years old ( 10/28/20 ) from YouTube . These are likely S.P..

IMG_3205.JPG
IMG_3209.JPG

Lots of people are wondering if they can use other oil instead of 0w16, since the owner's manual pushes so hard for 0w16. I found a post somewhere on the internet where someone said in other countries the Toyota manual lists other viscosities. I found where in Australia (Toyota Camry Hybrid) you can use other viscosities. It appears it is same engine too, so I think the push for 0w16 is simply a CAFE push.

Check page 479

"SAE OW-16 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If you use SAE 10W-30 or a higher viscosity engine oil in extremely low temperatures, the engine may become difficult to start, so SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 engine oil is recommended."

Last edited:
I have 7500 miles and a little over 4 months on a Toyota cross hybrid. I still have factory fill! Not worried about it, I’ve been here before, I will take the first two free oil changes at 10k intervals and then I will start experimenting. I will probably continue using 0w16 and or 0w20 when I start changing it myself. After warranty, due to the way I am stacking miles I may try HPL or Amsoil for 20k mile intervals confirming that with Used oil analysis.

Kirkland or Supertech 0w20 is what I'm using. Every 10k miles.

Back