0w16 options?

Mobil was of course the company that pioneered using all three of these bases together (tri-syn) and has stated, previously, to use all three when formulating, in varying quantities of course.
I remember when Mobil went from Tri-Syn to Supersyn....many on BITOG thought it was a downgrade before eventually accepting that it was in fact an upgrade.
If using the 3 base oils was desirable...was it cost or performance that made Mobil make that change (from Tri-Syn to SS)? Of course like most things on BITOG....the answers will be opinions.

PS: Since this thread is on 0w16 oils....I'm wondering if anybody used the discontinued Supertech 0w16 which Walmart 'cleared' @ $7 for the 5 quart jug? I wonder if Warren made theirs as stout as the name brands?

I remember when Mobil went from Tri-Syn to Supersyn....many on BITOG thought it was a downgrade before eventually accepting that it was in fact an upgrade.
If using the 3 base oils was desirable...was it cost or performance that made Mobil make that change (from Tri-Syn to SS)? Of course like most things on BITOG....the answers will be opinions.

PS: Since this thread is on 0w16 oils....I'm wondering if anybody used the discontinued Supertech 0w16 which Walmart 'cleared' @ $7 for the 5 quart jug? I wonder if Warren made theirs as stout as the name brands?
SuperSyn, IIRC, brought Group III into the mix. It wouldn't be a downgrade or an upgrade, though I could see the PAO purists considering it a downgrade. Mobil never stopped using the three base oils from the Tri-Syn line, but they did switch-up the formulation with the integration of Group III, which in turn, meant less reliance on POE and/or AN's for balancing out the PAO, since the PAO was significantly reduced or removed all together, depending on the grade.

Well I recently changed the oil in the Rav 4 and drained out the 0w16 and
replaced with 0w20 Havoline Pro DS.
It seems to me it is running even quieter with this new weight oil and, has
not made any warning lights come on. It is idling and running as smooth
as silk.
I have read on sites where others said the "thicker", oil would make their
oil light come on but, I'm not sure how true that is. It hasn't affected this one at all.
I think I have found the new oil I will be using from now on in the Rav 4.
Havoline 0w20 Pro DS.

I have read on sites where others said the "thicker", oil would make their
oil light come on but, I'm not sure how true that is. It hasn't affected this one at all.
I think I have found the new oil I will be using from now on in the Rav 4.
Havoline 0w20 Pro DS.

2019 RAV4 here approaching 50K miles, and I installed Valvoline Extended Protection 0W-20 during two oil changes at ~30K and ~35K when TGMO 0W-16 was out of stock locally. I keep a stash of the Valvoline for our '21 Pentastar vehicle so in it went per the manual dispensation.

No discernible change in performance or noise level (that high pressure pump is loud), no error codes, no drama of any kind including winter conditions in New Jersey.

I started doing research on whether 0w16 was as crucial as the manual states. Info on the internet is rarely credible but figured I'd share the facts. I found toyota camry manual from another country were CAFE isn't an issue. See attached. I was intrigued because 5w30 outperformed the 0w16 in testing on project farms youtube.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031_082043_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231031_082043_Drive.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 54
I started doing research on whether 0w16 was as crucial as the manual states. Info on the internet is rarely credible but figured I'd share the facts. I found toyota camry manual from another country were CAFE isn't an issue. See attached. I was intrigued because 5w30 outperformed the 0w16 in testing on project farms youtube.
I truly believe that if you use a quality brand oil and filter and change every 5k miles you will be fine.

I truly believe that if you use a quality brand oil and filter and change every 5k miles you will be fine.
A lot of people have said the tolerances of these new motors and bearing clearances is why they are running such thin oil and detergents for the direct injection soot carbon build up on the low tension rings. I think it has more to do with CAFE than anything after reading a foreign manual for a 2024 camry

A lot of people have said the tolerances of these new motors and bearing clearances is why they are running such thin oil and detergents for the direct injection soot carbon build up on the low tension rings. I think it has more to do with CAFE than anything after reading a foreign manual for a 2024 camry
It's everything to do with CAFE.

And it would be clearances, not tolerances. Bearing widths have changed in some engines to tolerate thinner oils without excessive wear. But that never precludes the use of one with a higher HT/HS.

My new Camry 2.5L specs 0w16. I plan to change oil at 5k miles and then take advantage of the Toyota included TGMO service at 10k and 20k miles.

After I’m not sure if I’ll stick with TGMO or use another OTC 0w16 assuming I can find it on shelves at the local Walmart.

What say you experts?
The closest to Toyota oil is Mobil 1 AFE. But any major brand will do, I’ve actually seen Toyota service departments using pennzoil platinum 0w16 during covid supply shortages in my area. Decent price at Walmart

It's everything to do with CAFE.

And it would be clearances, not tolerances. Bearing widths have changed in some engines to tolerate thinner oils without excessive wear. But that never precludes the use of one with a higher HT/HS.
I use 0W20 in my Highlander so to keep wit the trend I’m going to use the same in my Camry.

I wouldn’t worry too much about TGMO going into that engine, because when you take it to the dealer they’re going to stuff whatever bulk 0W20 they have into it. 🤣🤣 And then tell you it’s TGMO. Half the Toyota dealers I’ve been to don’t even know what TGMO is, except maybe the parts counter guy (because he has to dust off the bottle of TGMO they have in a display case once a month).
I doubt they just put any old 0W-20 in.

The people who say you must use 0w-16 oil only will use the following arguments:
1. In other countries ECM is programmed differently, oil pump is different and etc
2. Oil and Gasoline of different quality.

This is BS IMHO, but you will keep hearing about it

To be fair project farm’s testing is entertaining but it shouldn't be deemed anymore credible.

The people who say you must use 0w-16 oil only will use the following arguments:
1. In other countries ECM is programmed differently, oil pump is different and etc
2. Oil and Gasoline of different quality.

This is BS IMHO, but you will keep hearing about it
This all started with the Car Care Nut and “facts” morphed as theories were slowly debunked. It was very amusing to watch actually.

Back