Toyota 0w16 substitute for M20A-FKS engine

Okay got rid of the white whale (2012 Honda Odyssey, 178000 miles). Wife wanted a high economy car with seat heaters, no new corollas available so she selected a 2109 Toyota Corolla hatchback XSE with the M20A-FKS engine. No problem I thought just put some Valvoline EP in at next oil change and... There is no 0w16 Valvoline EP. So my question is what substitutes are there for Toyota 0w16 engine oil or is there a good online spot to order TGMO 0w16 oil. Only 0w16 oil I found on a shelve was Mobil1 AFE.

My Wal Mart had 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for the new rollback price. $24.8x something or other.

There is Castrol Edge 0w-16 which AutoZone carries in quarts.

Okay got rid of the white whale (2012 Honda Odyssey, 178000 miles). Wife wanted a high economy car with seat heaters, no new corollas available so she selected a 2109 Toyota Corolla hatchback XSE with the M20A-FKS engine. No problem I thought just put some Valvoline EP in at next oil change and... There is no 0w16 Valvoline EP. So my question is what substitutes are there for Toyota 0w16 engine oil or is there a good online spot to order TGMO 0w16 oil. Only 0w16 oil I found on a shelve was Mobil1 AFE.
Literally ANY 0W16 oil.
When it comes to these water-like oils, I would go Mobil1.

Reactions: FZ1
Been running 0w20 and 5w20 synthetic with no issue and no loss of mpg. The manual technically allows it (0w20) with epa mandated disclaimers to use 0w16 next time. 5w20 is virtually identical to 0w20 above 0F

0W-16 is recommended. Even the manual tells you it is not mandatory, and that a higher viscosity oil is better suited for severe operation. I've been running 0W-30 Mobil 1 in mine. The engine runs much quieter as a result.

I pulled up the owners manual, the 2019 Corolla says to use 0W-20, just use 0W-20, even the cars that spec 0W-16 usually explicitly permit using 0W-20 if 0W-16 is unavailable, technically you can use all the way up to 10W-30 in almost any Toyota calling for Xw16 or Xw20 because usually the only explicit requirement is ILSAC motor oil or API Resource Conserving motor oil.

That engine can take up to a 40 grade outside america. The chart will show anything from 16 to 40. Feel free to use a 20 grade since it's readily available and won't hurt a single thing. Mpg loss will be margin of error.

My experience is it's better to be a little too thick than a little too thin. My engine became very noisey when the dealer, apparently, put 0-16 in my 0-20 spec '17 Camry. I extracted it and put in 8.8 vis 0-20 AFE . Quiet now. I may take the 30w challenge this summer with some thin PP. lol

My experience is it's better to be a little too thick than a little too thin. My engine became very noisey when the dealer, apparently, put 0-16 in my 0-20 spec '17 Camry. I extracted it and put in 8.8 vis 0-20 AFE . Quiet now. I may take the 30w challenge this summer with some thin PP. lol
Or even better, I plan on trying Supertech CF2 Detroit Deisel Motor Oil in my '17 this summer 🥰

0w20 will work fine, with a 1/1000 reduction in mpg's

You'll be a happy camper because it will run even quieter. Save the 0W-16 for your wife's sewing machine.

Okay, think I'm going to order the Valvoline 0w16 from Amazon (3 5qt for 78) that will get me through a year. Only thing on shelves in town is Mobil 1 0w16 AFE even that is hit or miss. Supposedly there is Pennzoil Platinum 0w16 anyone seen that?. From the my reading the Mobil 1 AFE is 70-80% PAO, the rest are GTL's. Now just have to find the oil filter wix or fram ultra part numbers.

Okay, think I'm going to order the Valvoline 0w16 from Amazon (3 5qt for 78) that will get me through a year. Only thing on shelves in town is Mobil 1 0w16 AFE even that is hit or miss. Supposedly there is Pennzoil Platinum 0w16 anyone seen that?. From the my reading the Mobil 1 AFE is 70-80% PAO, the rest are GTL's. Now just have to find the oil filter wix or fram ultra part numbers.
Walmart delivers to your door free on orders over $35.

I pulled up the owners manual, the 2019 Corolla says to use 0W-20, just use 0W-20, even the cars that spec 0W-16 usually explicitly permit using 0W-20 if 0W-16 is unavailable, technically you can use all the way up to 10W-30 in almost any Toyota calling for Xw16 or Xw20 because usually the only explicit requirement is ILSAC motor oil or API Resource Conserving motor oil.
The owner's manual says 0W-20 for the 2ZR engine, which is the sedan for the previous generation in 2019

2019 also saw the Corolla hatchback on the TGNA platform with the M20A dynamic force engine, and that is spec'd for 0W-16

Back