0W-16 or 0W-20 for road trip?

My manual states that 0W-16 is recommended but “An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.” Seeing how I’m traveling out to the Midwest where 80 and 85 zones are common and the vehicle will be loaded down with three adults and luggage. I’d probably be fine with 0W-16 but I’m just wondering if anyone seeing any reason not to bump up to 0W-20? It’s a Toyota A25A-FXS powered hybrid.

Price-wise, after rebates there are negligible differences. 0W-16 AFE is $12.37/jug vs 0W-20 M1EP at $9.37.

0W-16 AFE is 70-80% PAO vs 60-70% PAO for the 0W-20 M1EP, so they are both high quality.

I have 9 jugs of SuperTech 0W-16 that I got on clearance. I just wanted something a bit higher quality for this specific road trip. It’s going to be about 5,000 miles with a mix of higher speeds with a heavy load and quite a bit of idling time as well. Steep grades as well.

I have 9 jugs of SuperTech 0W-16 that I got on clearance. I just wanted something a bit higher quality for this specific road trip. It’s going to be about 5,000 miles with a mix of higher speeds with a heavy load and quite a bit of idling time as well. Steep grades as well.
Better go with 0W-30 then ... (j/k). Going from 16 to 20 still a good move IMO.

Stick with 0W16 unless towing.

I use the spec'd 0W16 in a vehicle used for time critical deliveries, with a lead foot and with loads that occasionally reach a few hundred pounds.
Currently, the odometer is at 125+ k miles. It is the 2.0L version of your engine.

Stick with 0W16 unless towing.

I use the spec'd 0W16 in a vehicle used for time critical deliveries, with a lead foot and with loads that occasionally reach a few hundred pounds.
Currently, the odometer is at 125+ k miles. It is the 2.0L version of your engine.
Oh nice. Thank you for the insight. Any issues that you’ve run across yet? Any oil consumption?

What do you consider the Midwest ? There are no 80-85 mph zones here that I'm aware of and I live in the midwest.
He never said mph, could have been talking about age...slow driving is considered "severe" by some manufacturers :ROFLMAO:

My manual states that 0W-16 is recommended but “An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.” Seeing how I’m traveling out to the Midwest where 80 and 85 zones are common and the vehicle will be loaded down with three adults and luggage. I’d probably be fine with 0W-16 but I’m just wondering if anyone seeing any reason not to bump up to 0W-20? It’s a Toyota A25A-FXS powered hybrid.

Price-wise, after rebates there are negligible differences. 0W-16 AFE is $12.37/jug vs 0W-20 M1EP at $9.37.

0W-16 AFE is 70-80% PAO vs 60-70% PAO for the 0W-20 M1EP, so they are both high quality.

Wyoming speed limits are up to 80 mph. Add a heavily loaded vehicle driving against a 30 mph wind and it is clear you satisfy the owner's manual's qualifications for a thicker oil.

I'd be running 5w-30.

I'd suggest the M1 0W-20 for this trip. EP would be my choice.

Viscosity Matter .... http://www.lube-media.com/wp-content/uploads/Viscosity-matters-WEB-ONLY-Sept19c_FINAL.pdf

Last paragraph in the article:
"Some manufacturers tend to incorporate a greater safely margin in their formulations, setting the v100 target just in the middle of the respective viscosity grade and HTHS well above the permissible minimum value. Others try to push their products to the edge to max up fuel economy benefits. For instance, a 5W-40 with KV100 = 14.5 cSt will withstand 4-5% fuel dilution without falling off grade. A similar 5W-40 “enhanced fuel-economy” product with KV100 = 13.0 cSt will fall off grade already at 2% fuel dilution. Hence, in general, you are always safe to go one grade higher than the one recommended by your engine manufacturer, but never use thinner oils than recommended."

Back