Pick me an oil from my stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pda1122
Originally Posted By: klt1986
I have been running 5w-20 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 5w-20 EP in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7. I don't think the engine will care which 20 weight oil you choose. I have always found the 5w-20's a little easier to find in my parts.

The 2011 Tundra's with the 5.7 came from the factory with non synthetic 5w-20. When I was still under the Toyota Care the dealer said all Toyota recommended was 5w-20, non synthetic oil. The very first oil change after Toyota Care was over, the dealer recommended synthetic. Amazing how that changed.

I am getting ready to change mine soon and I'm thinking about trying PUP or PP 5w-20 or Valvoline SynPower 5w-20. Got a few cases of M1 5w-20 that I bought on sale last year with some Amazon points so I may just use it.

If you have a cartridge filter, I can highly recommend this custom made filter wrench.
Link
The skid plate is a pain by yourself so either have an extra set of hands or what helped me was an air wrench; one hand to hold the skid plate and the other to use the wrench without having to ratchet

If I'm not mistaken all the 5.7's and probably all other newer Toyota vehicles are using the cartridge style filters. I know my 2014 Corolla uses one. This is my favorite tool for the Tundra cartridge housing:
Assenmacher TOY640

The skid plate can be a pain. I have considered cutting an access door in my plate to make changes a little easier. The newer trucks may offer this?

Originally Posted By: pda1122

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
When was the last time Valvoline produced a passenger vehicle jug in a gallon container?
You need to use that old stuff-up.

It's the bottom remnants of the drums at work. Couple gallons per drum. The drum pump doesn't reach all the way to the bottom.
whistle.gif

All the good stuff lives at the bottom!
grin.gif
How long does a drum last at work?

A month or two. We use waaaay more 5w-20 and 0w-20.

Ok, seriously guys, I made up my mind. What’s the quietest running oil I have (in your opinion of course)? All these replies and only one vote for Idemitsu, one vote for milesyn 5w-30, one vote for each of the magnatecs. Thank you.

I say the Mobil 1 EP.

Why, because I went to https://www.random.org/, said select from 1-8, and it said 5 (the M1EP).

It really makes no difference.

I have the same issue with my stash trying to decide what to use.

For my last change in the wife's Scion, I had 5 different xw-20 to choose from.
I asked my 12 year old son to look at the oil shelf and pick an oil.
He picked QSUD (no idea why), so I used that. I will use it next change also, just because I have 4 qts left, and it uses 4 qts.
After that, I will ask him to pick another one (or may use random.org).

For my truck, I have been using conventional 5w-20 high mileage oils, seeing if it helps with consumption (it has not).
Brother in laws truck, I have been using 5w-20 syn-blend or high mileage oils, just because I have a bunch, and he has no need for full syn.
My sisters Hyundai, used QSUD 5w-20 last time. She sometimes does not let me know it is time to change, so she may go 10,000 miles, so want a syn in there.
My mom's car is easy, needs 5w-30, only 5w-30 I have is Valvoline Synpower.
My mother in laws car will be getting 10w-30 Magnatec, because it is the only vehicle that I service spec'ed for it.

I do have to admit that when you have a vehicle that uses a qt of oil every 1500 miles, are using conventional high mileage oil, then you choose Pennzoil Ultra as the top off oil, you may have too much oil.
But the Ultra was free, so why not.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
One vote for Idemitsu 0W-20

^ this The stuff just does NOT burn off. I've had 5w-30s, 10w-30s and 5w-20s burn (different cars, they had VTEC, this one has VTC) but all these things being equal (which they are not but lets say engine design is engine design and things are relative), do the test yourself, the other weights will require make-up oil which means blow by, which means deposits on the intake valves, if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Out of all of it, use the Napa synthetic last. Seems like the bottom of the barrel synthetic anyway.

It's Valvoline synthetic with it's additives additions tweaked - so not to match Valvoline's add-pack.
At $2.99-$3.49 when on sale, it delivers nice, quiet, very little-consuming 6-7K oil service for me.

Last edited:
Put the name of each one on a piece of paper, put the pieces of paper in a hat and pick one because it really doesn't matter all that much which one you put in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back