0w16 for a new Prius?

For my Venza, the manual frowns on the use of 0w20 and has a strong preference for 0w16.
My understanding is that in the US Toyota programs it to run on 0w16. I found the post below useful.

Any 0w16 will be fine. Napa offers a house-brand 0w16, which is Valvoline. There is also M1 and PP 0w16. There is even Castrol 0w16.

Walmart stopped offering their ST 0w16 due to low sales, as cars requiring 0w16 are still too new for most Walmart customers who change their own oil.

Every brand you've heard of now offers a 0w16 oil

Any 0w16 will be fine. Napa offers a house-brand 0w16, which is Valvoline. There is also M1 and PP 0w16. There is even Castrol 0w16.

Walmart stopped offering their ST 0w16 due to low sales, as cars requiring 0w16 are still too new for most Walmart customers who change their own oil.

Every brand you've heard of now offers a 0w16 oil
Yes, it will be a while before the Walmartians buy used Prius’s.

0w20 is fine. I used that in a couple newer toyotas with no issues.

Toyota is just selling a lot more SUVs/Trucks they need to get their CAFE numbers up a little. Hence the 0w16.

The 2016-2021 Prius can run from 0w-16 to 15w-40 in the non north America owners manual but I'd run Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. If you accelerate hard into power mode and make it rev cause you live in an a hole texas city where you have to stomp it to not get reared when merging then shoot bust out the non resource conserving for it.

The 2016-2021 Prius can run from 0w-16 to 15w-40 in the non north America owners manual but I'd run Mobil 1 EP 0w-20. If you accelerate hard into power mode and make it rev cause you live in an a hole texas city where you have to stomp it to not get reared when merging then shoot bust out the non resource conserving for it.
Sounds like OP is in Canada judging by the "Crappy Tire," so I'd stick to 0w-16 if they can find it or 0w-20 if it can't be found.

What is out there for a good 0w16? Anyone using 0w20? 2021 Prius
Interestingly, I recently saw that the Toyota dealers were officially offering both TGMO and M1.

TGMO 0W-16 SP is petroleum-derived Group III/III+ as far as I know according to the Japanese-language MSDSs I posted here. The SN version was GTL (natural-gas-derived Group III+). M1 0W-16 is Group IV PAO. However, TGMO typically includes a small amount of Group V polyol ester (POE). M1 includes a small amount of Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN).

M1 0W-16 is definitely the premium choice in terms of the base oil, and I would prefer it if I had the choice. It should be capable of a longer OCI. Otherwise, TGMO 0W-16 is OK. I would definitely use the dealer's two-year courtesy free maintenance. You can see if M1 0W-16 is available. On the other hand, Toyota perhaps has some say in TGMO's specs, composition, additives, etc. Sometimes, the budget oil outperforms the premium oil.

No, I wouldn't use any kind of 0W-20. These hybrid engines take a long time to warm up and keep shutting off. You are typically spending more time in the EV mode purely with the electric motors on than with the ICE on. I doubt the ICE ever runs hot. You want the thinnest oil recommended by Toyota, which is 0W-16.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I recently saw that the Toyota dealers were officially offering both TGMO and M1.

TGMO 0W-16 SP is petroleum-derived Group III/III+ as far as I know according to the Japanese-language MSDSs I posted here. The SN version was GTL (natural-gas-derived Group III+). M1 0W-16 is Group IV PAO. However, TGMO typically includes a small amount of Group V polyol ester (POE). M1 includes a small amount of Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN).

M1 0W-16 is definitely the premium choice in terms of the base oil, and I would prefer it if I had the choice. It should be capable of a longer OCI. Otherwise, TGMO 0W-16 is OK. I would definitely use the dealer's two-year courtesy free maintenance. You can see if M1 0W-16 is available. On the other hand, Toyota perhaps has some say in TGMO's specs, composition, additives, etc. Sometimes, the budget oil outperforms the premium oil.

No, I wouldn't use any kind of 0W-20. These hybrid engines take a long time to warm up and keep shutting off. You are typically spending more time in the EV mode purely with the electric motors on than with the ICE on. I doubt the ICE ever runs hot. You want the thinnest oil recommended by Toyota, which is 0W-16.
In a Prius prime I'd agree more with the statement but I believe the TS has a regular prius. One that switches to gas more frequently after accelerating a bit and continues to run the gas engine more often than a prime. On the prime the engine runs much less. Only when cruising at higher speeds. Acceleration and idle is more electric on the prime or am I mixed up. And doesn't the Prius run the engine at idle or when you immediately start it up if it's cold enough. If the weather is warm the engine stays off until it needs to be turned on. if it's cold enough it should turn on immediately and run until warmed up then shuts off. Rather interesting engine management.

In a Prius prime I'd agree more with the statement but I believe the TS has a regular prius. One that switches to gas more frequently after accelerating a bit and continues to run the gas engine more often than a prime. On the prime the engine runs much less. Only when cruising at higher speeds. Acceleration and idle is more electric on the prime or am I mixed up. And doesn't the Prius run the engine at idle or when you immediately start it up if it's cold enough. If the weather is warm the engine stays off until it needs to be turned on. if it's cold enough it should turn on immediately and run until warmed up then shuts off. Rather interesting engine management.
Your assessments are correct. It is true that the plug-in Prius Prime runs the ICE less than the non-plug-in Prius in the HV mode. In the HV mode, I typically lose 5% of the state of charge in the hybrid battery in one trip, which would roughly cover 1.7 miles as purely EV driving. Moreover, with the non-plug-in Prius, if you fully deplete the hybrid battery under a certain driving condition, then you will be in the HV mode longer so that the battery can recharge.

Prius Prime always starts in the EV mode by default, and what I do is that I don't switch into the HV mode until I pass the first red light and then switch to the HV mode while driving after I reach 15–20 mph. This way, I don't waste any fuel idling. My actual HV fuel economy after accounting for the battery use is around 75 mpg (above 80 mpg if I don't account for it). I can get an actual HV fuel economy of 110 mpg in stop-and-go freeway driving. If you drive fast, your fuel economy will be closer to the EPA numbers.

Back