0w16 for a new Prius?

Your assessments are correct. It is true that the plug-in Prius Prime runs the ICE less than the non-plug-in Prius in the HV mode. In the HV mode, I typically lose 5% of the state of charge in the hybrid battery in one trip, which would roughly cover 1.7 miles as purely EV driving. Moreover, with the non-plug-in Prius, if you fully deplete the hybrid battery under a certain driving condition, then you will be in the HV mode longer so that the battery can recharge.

Prius Prime always starts in the EV mode by default, and what I do is that I don't switch into the HV mode until I pass the first red light and then switch to the HV mode while driving after I reach 15–20 mph. This way, I don't waste any fuel idling. My actual HV fuel economy after accounting for the battery use is around 75 mpg (above 80 mpg if I don't account for it). I can get an actual HV fuel economy of 110 mpg in stop-and-go freeway driving. If you drive fast, your fuel economy will be closer to the EPA numbers.
I'm personally waiting for the 2022 Prius but I also want the prime since they usually have nice tax credits too but that'll be in another 2 years and I'm getting tired of waiting. But at the same time I'll be darned if I get a model right before the new one unless the discounts are fat.

I've never seen Canadian Tire ever spelled as "tyre" and where in the US does anyone buy oil at a place with Tire in the name?
You’re prob right, my friends are quite weird. They do all the “colour, behaviour” kind of things. I’m actually surprised the Canadian Tire is not Tyre

I'm personally waiting for the 2022 Prius but I also want the prime since they usually have nice tax credits too but that'll be in another 2 years and I'm getting tired of waiting. But at the same time I'll be darned if I get a model right before the new one unless the discounts are fat.
There will be no redesign for Prius until the model year 2023 and Prius Prime perhaps until 2024. December is a good month to buy a Prius Prime. I doubt you can buy one in Texas though.

There will be no redesign for Prius until the model year 2023 and Prius Prime perhaps until 2024. December is a good month to buy a Prius Prime. I doubt you can buy one in Texas though.
Oh lord I didn't want to wait longer. But I swear that once you buy a soon to be old car time blows by and in no time the new one comes out. I'll look for end of year sales if they're good enough to justify buying a late model. Or heck even a slightly used one on clearance at an even bigger discount but then again auto prices are whack right now. And I've talked to a dealer about wanting a model that isn't popular and they say they can always ship one in from another dealer if the customer is serious and waive the fee.

The only 0W16 at WalMart would be Mobil 1.
yeah thats the only 0w-16 in mine as well. others have a lot more choices. walmart once carried their supertech in 0w-16 for a very short while like just a single shelf stocking then it never came back.

yeah thats the only 0w-16 in mine as well. others have a lot more choices. walmart once carried their supertech in 0w-16 for a very short while like just a single shelf stocking then it never came back.
Not enough DIYers buying 0W-16 yet, other than hybrids with start/stop I don't see any point in using 0W-16, I'd use 0W-20 over 0W-16 in the non-hybrid cars that spec it.

Oh lord I didn't want to wait longer. But I swear that once you buy a soon to be old car time blows by and in no time the new one comes out. I'll look for end of year sales if they're good enough to justify buying a late model. Or heck even a slightly used one on clearance at an even bigger discount but then again auto prices are whack right now. And I've talked to a dealer about wanting a model that isn't popular and they say they can always ship one in from another dealer if the customer is serious and waive the fee.
Prius Primes don't depreciate thanks to the tax credits etc. You can trade in at no loss next year. However, it will be a challenge to get it in Texas because Gulf States Toyota distributes it in very limited quantities if at all. Nevertheless, if you could get one, you will be the only one in town with a Prius Prime. The color I have—Blue Magnetism/Spirited Aqua Metallic—is a particularly cool and striking one, which is something most people don't appreciate until they own it, and if you could pay extra for the Limited trim, you get all the advanced safety features and more. December is when you have good rebates, and then you can file for the federal tax credit shortly after. You might want to shop in another state for better rebates. You can compare the rebates on Toyota's website.

Prius Primes don't depreciate thanks to the tax credits etc. You can trade in at no loss next year. However, it will be a challenge to get it in Texas because Gulf States Toyota distributes it in very limited quantities if at all. Nevertheless, if you could get one, you will be the only one in town with a Prius Prime. The color I have—Blue Magnetism/Spirited Aqua Metallic—is a particularly cool and striking one, which is something most people don't appreciate until they own it, and if you could pay extra for the Limited trim, you get all the advanced safety features and more. December is when you have good rebates, and then you can file for the federal tax credit shortly after. You might want to shop in another state for better rebates. You can compare the rebates on Toyota's website.
I've seen 2 or 3 prius primes and regular priuses are everywhere. i was just looking up new toyotas within a 50 mile radius and there are just 8 prius primes spread out between 5 dealers which is kind of nuts. they do sell them but judging by the sparse availability they aren't super common.

oddly enough they have one brand new in your color for 31-32k https://www.sterlingmccalltoyota.co...front-wheel-drive-hatchback-jtdkamfpxm3191139.

hmmmm. ugh i really want to wait for the next gen which is 1-2 years away but i also want to bite the bullet and just get it over with.

I've seen 2 or 3 prius primes and regular priuses are everywhere. i was just looking up new toyotas within a 50 mile radius and there are just 8 prius primes spread out between 5 dealers which is kind of nuts. they do sell them but judging by the sparse availability they aren't super common.

oddly enough they have one brand new in your color for 31-32k https://www.sterlingmccalltoyota.co...front-wheel-drive-hatchback-jtdkamfpxm3191139.

hmmmm. ugh i really want to wait for the next gen which is 1-2 years away but i also want to bite the bullet and just get it over with.
I just checked, and you guys don't have any factory rebates over there. Fly here in December. Longo Toyota in El Monte stocks many dozens of them. You can then drive a 2022 home with $5,000 in rebates and an additional generous dealer discount.

I just checked, and you guys don't have any factory rebates over there. Fly here in December. Longo Toyota in El Monte stocks many dozens of them. You can then drive a 2022 home with $5,000 in rebates and an additional generous dealer discount.
it aint a bad idea to get a 5k rebate, a cheap plane ticket and a road trip back during the December free time doesn't sound too bad. makes it more compelling now. are the factory rebates constant or do they come and go. i thought they were at certain times and you have to meet some conditions.

it aint a bad idea to get a 5k rebate, a cheap plane ticket and a road trip back during the December free time doesn't sound too bad. makes it more compelling now. are the factory rebates constant or do they come and go. i thought they were at certain times and you have to meet some conditions.
Prius Prime factory rebates in California approach maximum in December in the so-called Christmas sales. They increase by another $500 in January, but the caveat of the latter is that you need to wait for an additional year for the $4,502 federal tax credit. Note that the federal tax credit is nonrefundable, which means that it cannot be higher than your federal tax liability. If you purchase a Prius Prime in California, you also get a point-of-sale $900.11 clean-fuel reward. You can and should also negotiate for an additional $2,500 or so dealer discount. So, you're looking at about $7,000 in savings in addition to the federal tax credit in comparison to buying it in Texas. Note that you still don't pay for sales tax, as it is based on the address of your residence.

I recommend the Limited trim. However, if you want to go cheaper, skip the XLE and go with the LE.

It looks like the redesigned Prius will be delayed to the model year 2024. This could delay the redesigned Prius Prime to the model year 2025. The Gen 4 Prius is by far the longest-running Prius generation. It is certainly the best generation as well, and the 2021 Prius Prime refresh substantially improved upon the 2020 Prius Prime I had before. It's definitely not worth a two-to-three-year wait for the next generation.

Back