Your Favorite Canned Man Food

This are sprats

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 20
With lime these are THE BOMB. Just finished my last can.............feels like a personal shortage, I'm out of food..................I bought a 10 sleeve of Riga Gold in round cans.
Those are by far some of the tastiest fish in a can if one is looking for a bit more smoke to the flavor.

Keep in mind though that those are mostly from the Baltic Sea, which is one of the most polluted waters in the world. WWII caused a huge number of aircraft and marine vessels to fall into those waters. Combined with other sources of pollution and very long rates of salt water exchange with the larger oceans, most of the fish from there are not as clean as they should be. The Riga Gold ones I purchased last year came with a Prop 65 warning for cancer. Now, is there enough chemicals to worry about? I don't know. But, those things are like fish crack-cocaine in a can and are impossible to not devour like Zoidberg on a feeding frenzy. ;)

Sprats come from Europe. They are actually a slightly different species from sardines, but similar.

Riga is a city in Latvia.

41R%2BX8Vcr3L._SX466_.jpg
Sardines are not a species. Sardines is a terms used for a wide variety of small fish. With that said, Sprats are the best of the sardines. Most sardines are from the herring family of fish.

It’s been a while since I opened up a can of soup or chili. With that said, Stagg’s is solid stuff. Also, I’ve been in the habit of buying canned tuna just to have. Recently, I’ve been carrying salami and cheese along with a few beers and other snacks in my backpack when I go snowboarding. Then I’ll go off trail, find a place with a view of a ski run and have myself a little picnic and watch people slide or tumble down the hill. I’ll have to try carrying a bottle of hot water(in a Kleen Kanteen or Hydro Flask insulated bottle) and ramen noodles in a bowl. That’s if I don’t crush them.

Vienna sausages, potted meat, SpaghettiOs, and those things are throw backs to my childhood.

Kippers used to be my favorite until one day I wasn't felling to well. I was carrying the garbage out (back when supermarket paper bags had a second life as garbage bags) and there was an empty kippers can in the top of the bag. Needless to say, I blew chunks in the driveway. I have eaten kippers since and that was about 1968. Maybe it's time to try them again.

No Spam! My canned food is mostly for hiking/backpackin/camping trips. Off the top of my head I have probably Underwood White Meat Chicken and Deviled Ham Spread, B&B Brown Bread in a can, spinach, mackerel, kippers, tuna, chili, tomato sauce, beets, diced tomatoes, and various canned soups in my pantry. Cans are okay for keeping at the cabin or camp but for hiking and backpacking I stick with light pouches instead of cans. I'm not a mule.

Last edited:
Back