Your Favorite Canned Man Food

I mentioned it earlier, but wasn't thinking of it in a can.

menudo-honeycombtripe25-2.png
That stuff is nasty, :LOL:

I haven't heard of modern day Mercury Poison being a thing. Though that went out 60 years ago.

Or you can go with low-mercury tuna. There are several options. Safe Catch tests every fish and sets a limit of 0.1ppm mercury which is 10x stricter than the FDA's limit. Keep in mind that the FDA limit is not enforced and that the limit is often exceeded.
You work in Tuna processing?

Or you can go with low-mercury tuna. There are several options. Safe Catch tests every fish and sets a limit of 0.1ppm mercury which is 10x stricter than the FDA's limit. Keep in mind that the FDA limit is not enforced and that the limit is often exceeded.
What do you suppose happens with the Tuna that doesn't meet that standard? Thrown out? Wouldn't bet on it.

A few people have suggested tuna as an ideal canned food. We like it too but we don't eat it very often (maybe once a month). Tuna is high on the food chain and contains mercury. Don't know how often, but small amounts and sometimes would be enough.

A principle of toxicology is that "the dose makes the poison". So there is no need to avoid tuna completely, but it would be better to go easy on it.
Just buy wild caught salmon instead. It's not that much more expensive than tuna.

This was about how to get low-mercury tuna. And yes, salmon is generally much lower in mercury than tuna. But you can't make a tuna melt with salmon.
It was about canned food. :)

Not sure about tuna melt, but you can certainly make excellent tuna salad with salmon. :)

I haven't heard of modern day Mercury Poison being a thing. Though that went out 60 years ago.

My friend Mike got severe Mercury poisoning from eating 8-10 cans of tuna a day for a long while. Bad enough where the physician told him another 2-3 weeks of that and he would have died.

This happened in 2006.

Mike lost 45 pounds and he wasn't really right physically for about 6 months.

Back