Your Favorite Canned Man Food

I work in the oilfield as a supervisor with a service company. My time anymore is spent 50/50 office/field. But when there are issues on site I can be there anywhere from 14-40 hours. I pack a lunch almost every day because its healthier and cheaper than fast food, but I have a cache of canned goods and packs in my truck. My current stash consists of canned chili, beef stew, ravioli, spaghetti-o's, spam singles, packs of plain and flavored tuna, and packs of bbq and Buffalo chicken. I was recently gifted a 12v DC powered heated lunch box that is an absloute game changer for heated meals/snacks. Wish I could have had it years ago when I worked un the coal mines

Canned spaghetti is inexplicably popular in New Zealand - or at least was during our year there. I was a parent-chaperone on a school trip, and for breakfast one day we ate canned spaghetti over Vegemited toast. But we never had it on pancakes and syrup ...

Spaghetti small.jpg

spagettio's , Campbell condensed soup, canned soups, cheese ravioli, raw cabbage, and pickled potatos.
maybe some pickles, but unsalted crackers, and cheap very and I say very inexpensive and horrendous beer or some kombucha.

1635501502466.jpg

This is one of the few things I eat that comes from a can, it's kinda mostly "gravy" since it's only like $1.25/can, but I usually cook a small portion of rice and mix it in and add a little hot sauce.

Not 'canned' technically, but I've been enjoying these lately with some chopped egg, radish, pickle, serrano pepper, and some mayo made into a salad/bread spread.

61+thRiXtvS._SL600_.jpg

I love pork and beans, only one in the family that eats it.

Other than that its herford corn beef. Saute with garlic and onions, serve with rice with diced tomatoes.

I ate a lot of fish sticks mixed with canned corn in college cause didn't have much money and I don't think ramen noodles were available in early 80's

Last edited:
A few people have suggested tuna as an ideal canned food. We like it too but we don't eat it very often (maybe once a month). Tuna is high on the food chain and contains mercury. Don't know how often, but small amounts and sometimes would be enough.

A principle of toxicology is that "the dose makes the poison". So there is no need to avoid tuna completely, but it would be better to go easy on it.

A few people have suggested tuna as an ideal canned food. We like it too but we don't eat it very often (maybe once a month). Tuna is high on the food chain and contains mercury. Don't know how often, but small amounts and sometimes would be enough.

A principle of toxicology is that "the dose makes the poison". So there is no need to avoid tuna completely, but it would be better to go easy on it.
Or you can go with low-mercury tuna. There are several options. Safe Catch tests every fish and sets a limit of 0.1ppm mercury which is 10x stricter than the FDA's limit. Keep in mind that the FDA limit is not enforced and that the limit is often exceeded.

Back