Yaris or Sonic

2007 Yaris owner, former echo owner.

Can't attest to the sonic, but over the years, i've always had the impression that GM 1/2 heartedly makes small cars, and they are really not into it.

The Yaris I have, although somewhat spartan, is clearly backed by top notch solid engineering and has 'toyota reliability' because it has the toyota name on it.

My previous car, 2003 echo, made 417K miles with original clutch, alternator, power steering, brake booster, starter and only needed a coil replaced; same engine as the yaris.

Not the most comfortable car, but I spent over 5K for a 63K mile yaris (12 year old) and I don't regret it a bit. Toyotas don't have many 'old car' symptoms

I primarily value reliability for the long haul as I don't have the resources to buy a car every 6 years so what I get needs to last.

That engine is the definition of bullet proof.

-T

Last edited:
Things must have been slow on the used car lot last weekend. He walked in the store where the Yaris was and they took another $400 off the price almost right away. Chalk it up to COVID-19 and the lack of customers. The salesmen even admitted it was a very slow week. So that is what he ended up with. I think it was a decent price. He did not have the resources to buy a more expensive mid-size. MA is shutting down all not essential this week, and I think they were looking for a quick sale.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
2007 Yaris owner, former echo owner.

Can't attest to the sonic, but over the years, i've always had the impression that GM 1/2 heartedly makes small cars, and they are really not into it.

The big 3 have never shown they can, or are willing to build high quality compacts or subcompacts. They make their profits selling pickups and SUVs. I honestly think the ONLY reason they build and sell compacts and subcompacts is so they can meet their fleet EPA requirement...

courtesy of the “similar threads” list i rediscovered this thread and, as a happy yaris owner, am wondering how o.p.’s nephew’s yaris is doing 8 months later...

Back