Rental '15 Toyota Yaris Gas Mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

Similarly, my 5.6L V8 Nissan Titan gets 20MPG at 80MPH with tailgate down

you know that gate down increases drag, right?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Similarly, my 5.6L V8 Nissan Titan gets 20MPG at 80MPH with tailgate down and max A/C.

Sadly, that's about what our Q5 gets as well.

And our 4500# MDX as well. (And the 4500# Ridgeline I'm about to buy.) Going fast uses a lot of fuel...small car or large.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Similarly, my 5.6L V8 Nissan Titan gets 20MPG at 80MPH with tailgate down

you know that gate down increases drag, right?

33.gif
Now ya tell me. I usually go with it up but put it down this time cuz I was carrying many many suitcases. I'll hafta try it with it up next time. I was pretty happy with 20 tho. It's a 2WD model.

I'm mad because my Accent only gets 20 mpg when I'm going 110 mph down the interstate and because it doesn't do well when I'm towing 5k pounds. And it sure didn't perform well on the Rubicon last year.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
I'm mad because my Accent only gets 20 mpg when I'm going 110 mph down the interstate and because it doesn't do well when I'm towing 5k pounds. And it sure didn't perform well on the Rubicon last year.

Lol! That about sums up this topic!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I never quite understood the notion of complaining about fuel economy while driving 90 MPH...if you want good fuel economy, slow down...if you must drive that fast, then don't complain about poor fuel economy...

Speed limit is between 75MPH and 85MPH the whole way.

I was getting passed like crazy going 90MPH.

About the same thing I found when I had a current-gen one for a rental a few years back. It got about 35 mpg at 55-60 mph, which for a car that small was not that good. Getting back into my Cruze was a relief.

Originally Posted By: supton

When I was shopping this car I noticed that it still calls for a 5k oci. It also still uses a metal canister, instead of a paper cartridge like later Toyota mills. Makes me think Toyota is just letting this car languish, and will just kill it off instead of its next design refresh--probably wants Yaris sales to go to Scion.

They're still using the 1NZFE in this car. I see no need to change it because it's one of the most reliable motors Toyota has ever made.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I never quite understood the notion of complaining about fuel economy while driving 90 MPH...if you want good fuel economy, slow down...if you must drive that fast, then don't complain about poor fuel economy...

What does that have to do with the price of beans in China? You can't expect ANY vehicle to get good fuel economy at that high of a speed...

Originally Posted By: Subdued

When I was shopping this car I noticed that it still calls for a 5k oci. It also still uses a metal canister, instead of a paper cartridge like later Toyota mills. Makes me think Toyota is just letting this car languish, and will just kill it off instead of its next design refresh--probably wants Yaris sales to go to Scion.

They're still using the 1NZFE in this car. I see no need to change it because it's one of the most reliable motors Toyota has ever made.

I agree, a very good motor...

Originally Posted By: JustinH

What does that have to do with the price of beans in China? You can't expect ANY vehicle to get good fuel economy at that high of a speed...

My prior car would get 40 at 80mph. Sure, it probably could do 50 plus if I wanted it to, but the 42-44 that I got with no care for mpg was good enough.

An early Echo hatch was quite good car for an urban or 55 mph rural commuter. It was made in Japan and with the VVT motor and 5spd, it had enough power to be fun and still get upper 40's mpg. The suspension and steering were good too for some brisk driving. The sedan version with an atx was a poor compromise and didn't do anything well except be reliable I guess. In my area lots of the sedans are driven by seniors as they sit higher than most mid size sedans, and float along getting decent mileage.
For 80+mph commutes though, something like a tdi Passat would be a lot nicer though.

I still kinda like the sedan version, but they killed that years ago. No surprise, given that it was like 3/4 the size of Corolla for like 7/8 the price. At least the hatchback is, well, a hatch and different enough than Corolla.

Nothing really wrong with the Yaris especially if you need a hatch for around town stuff.

It isn't pretending to be something it is not; obviously not the car for everyone, but not the car for no one.

I have noticed the abysmal MPG even in the Echo for AT equipped cars.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nothing really wrong with the Yaris especially if you need a hatch for around town stuff.

It isn't pretending to be something it is not; obviously not the car for everyone, but not the car for no one.

I have noticed the abysmal MPG even in the Echo for AT equipped cars.

I don't how anyone could get less than 30 MPG with one of these cars no matter how they drive or what the tranny is. I swear I could drive my daughter's AT equipped Yaris around with the pedal to the metal all the time and still get over 30 MPG...heck, I get 30 MPG with my AT Corolla towing a 1000 lb trailer, and it's got over 240K miles on it...

Last edited:

I still kinda like the sedan version, but they killed that years ago. No surprise, given that it was like 3/4 the size of Corolla for like 7/8 the price. At least the hatchback is, well, a hatch and different enough than Corolla.

I never did quite get the pricing of the Yaris...it's a $10K car no matter how it's equipped, any more than that is just ridiculous...price it where it should be and Toyota wouldn't be able to keep these cars on the lot...

I don't how anyone could get less than 30 MPG with one of these cars no matter how they drive or what the tranny is.

TopGear got 17.2 MPG UK (14.3 MPG US) out of a Prius.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back