2007 Ford Crown Victoria - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Wonder how many idle hours are on it.

A ton.

And if it was a K9 car (which might explain why the back seats are leather(?) and the front are cloth)...even more.

I wonder if they steam cleaned the interior.

smile.gif

Ed

I prefer the police package vehicles because of their beefier setups - stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, higher axle ratio, dual exhaust, engine oil cooler, ATF/PS cooler, higher capacity alternator and battery, bigger MAF sensor, etc. etc. the list goes on. The export variants of this platform were a win-win because they had all the creature comforts of their civilian counterparts plus the heavy duty components of the police variants. Earlier models had the Handling and Performance Package (HPP) with everything the police models had, only milder spring setups, but those are as common as hen's teeth now.

That being said, unless you're looking at a detective unit, a take home vehicle assigned to a single driver or an unmarked unit that hasn't seen much service use, you might want to pass unless you're getting a really sweet deal. Often they will be pretty well maintained but with 101 drivers who don't give a shoot, you'll get all sorts of cosmetic issues.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I prefer the police package vehicles because of their beefier setups - stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, higher axle ratio, dual exhaust, engine oil cooler, ATF/PS cooler, higher capacity alternator and battery, bigger MAF sensor, etc. etc. the list goes on. The export variants of this platform were a win-win because they had all the creature comforts of their civilian counterparts plus the heavy duty components of the police variants. Earlier models had the Handling and Performance Package (HPP) with everything the police models had, only milder spring setups, but those are as common as hen's teeth now.

That being said, unless you're looking at a detective unit, a take home vehicle assigned to a single driver or an unmarked unit that hasn't seen much service use, you might want to pass unless you're getting a really sweet deal. Often they will be pretty well maintained but with 101 drivers who don't give a shoot, you'll get all sorts of cosmetic issues.

Which is of very little benefit when used as a daily driver going 20 miles or less for back and forth to work.

I've had a Buick that was built like a police package 9C1 Chevrolet- actually exceeding the specs. Much lower gears, bigger injectors, heavy duty shocks -- it was rather nice and very fast. The police package is definitely worth it on any car, Ford or Chevy or Dodge.

If you can find one in good condition without a gazilion miles on it or half a gazillion hours on the engine of idle time.

Last edited:
there are entire industries behind the Crown Vics. Cop cars have big problems with the
driver seat due to cop gear (guns, flashlights, batons, ...). Taxis used them and have 100%
drivers usage. So them driver seats are high ticket items.

In CA you can get them cheap (ex-CHP, ex-taxis, easiest? to fix) and Ford made
many millions of them.

great choice if you can wrench, otherwise for the wear and tear vs comfort, try Buicks.

Originally Posted By: pacem
Originally Posted By: emmett442

The strong selling point for this 2007 model is the new engine. It has to cost 3 grand just to install it. It isn't new however. Without the newer engine, it *might* be worth half that, if that.

Really, that's a warped point of view.

A car's value isn't the sum of all of it's parts. Buyers determine value, and buyers are purchasing the car for it's functionality. One running and driving Crown Vic is worth the same as another running and driving Crown Vic in the same condition, replacement engine or not. A good engine is a good engine, original or replacement.

If you put $15k in windows and $10k in roof replacement into your house, does that mean your house is worth $25k more???

I get your point, completely. Makes sense.

It's just completely wrong. You'll pay more-usually much more, about 50%-for an LX over a P71.

Honestly, I bought a PI because I didn't want all the stuff the LX includes. I WANTED the steel wheels, carpet delete, front bucket seats, and no chrome.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Wonder how many idle hours are on it.

A ton.

And if it was a K9 car (which might explain why the back seats are leather(?) and the front are cloth)...even more.

I wonder if they steam cleaned the interior.

smile.gif

Ed

The idle hours can be checked easily enough. The rear seat is vinyl, standard from Ford and the way probably 95% of P71s left the factory. (Mine has the same setup.)

How about this 2009 Crown Victoria with 111K miles for $3900?

Price seems a little high perhaps? Or not? Can you tell if it is an expolice car?

https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/cto/6037409289.html

It is, judging by the trunk release above the HVAC panel and the gauge cluster (140MPH speedo and "CERTIFIED CALIBRATION" under the odometer display), and a pretty unusual one: it has the regular civilian interior with CD stereo (and I would bet, also with power seat and heated mirrors), and the Street Appearance Package (chrome grille, door handle trim, and trunk strip, full wheelcovers, regular badging).

However...I think the year is wrong. A 2009 would not have the antenna on the quarter...it would be in the rear glass. (Last year for the external antenna was, IIRC, 2006.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
However...I think the year is wrong. A 2009 would not have the antenna on the quarter...it would be in the rear glass. (Last year for the external antenna was, IIRC, 2006.)

Yes, it is 2005 and it is Police Interceptor Street Appearance package [when it says Crown Victoria without LX - it is CVPI-SA] average is $2400; depending on the real axle ratio can vary quite a bit. All in all, these cars are dying..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back