2007 Ford Crown Victoria - opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this local Ford Crown Victoria, 2007 with 126K miles but 35K on the engine.

The reserve is close to BIN price. Is 4K for it a good buy or not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-Crown-Victoria-/232263680422?hash=item3613fe81a6:g:QUQAAOSw4A5YrO7A&vxp=mtr
Quote:

Up for sale today is an original Black 2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. This vehicle has a new engine from the Ford dealership that was installed at 96,000 miles. Since then, this car was exclusively used for administrative purposes.

The following has been done to the car:
Crown Victoria LX Sport Rims
Black interior with Wood Grain
Captain's Chairs
CD Player
New Spark Plugs
New Coil Packs
New Alternator
New Serpentine Belt
New K&N Air Filter
Spare Tire and Jack
Differential Fluid Change with Limited Slip Additive
Radiator Flush
Oil Change

This car runs and drives great. It has 327 limited slip, heated mirrors, power doors and power windows.

This car was used in police service, it has multiple scratches, dings and dents, and some imperfections in the paint, as seen in pictures.

Looks to be in pretty decent shape, and certainly looks sharp from the outside..

.. but is it worth $4k? You'll likely get a lot of varying opinions from folks on here. Some like these cars, and others don't.

I'd say $4k is a little on the high side, but not completely unrealistic. If you really like it, and want it, then I say bid on it and see if you can win it for less, and then see what the seller says.

Crown Vics have really fallen off in value the last few years. That's not to say they were ever valuable - it's just worse now.

I just went to a state municipal auction 2 weeks ago. There were Crown Vics of all conditions, most selling for under $3k. ONE unit sold for $4.4k, but it was in EXCEPTIONAL condition in and out, and younger (2011, under 90k miles). No major failures either. IMO, engine replacements are NOT something you want in a used car.

Not only that, but this car has been molested. Grand Marquis door panels, incorrect front seats, LX Sport wheels for starts. Nothing wrong with upgrades, but I don't trust anyone else's work. Who knows what's been done to that car at this point.

Also consider that corrosion-wise, this car isn't very clean. Lots of corrosion under the hood, so you can't expect it to be any better underneath.

The linked car isn't worth considering.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
Crown Vics have really fallen off in value the last few years. That's not to say they were ever valuable - it's just worse now.

I just went to a state municipal auction 2 weeks ago. There were Crown Vics of all conditions, most selling for under $3k. ONE unit sold for $4.4k, but it was in EXCEPTIONAL condition in and out, and younger (2011, under 90k miles). No major failures either. IMO, engine replacements are NOT something you want in a used car.

Not only that, but this car has been molested. Grand Marquis door panels, incorrect front seats, LX Sport wheels for starts. Nothing wrong with upgrades, but I don't trust anyone else's work. Who knows what's been done to that car at this point.

Also consider that corrosion-wise, this car isn't very clean. Lots of corrosion under the hood, so you can't expect it to be any better underneath.

The linked car isn't worth considering.

This is exactly what I was looking for - this articulates my concerns. At 4K, not worth it, at 2K might be a steal. Ford Crown Vics are a dime a dozen generally, I understand.

The strong selling point for this 2007 model is the new engine. It has to cost 3 grand just to install it. It isn't new however. Without the newer engine, it *might* be worth half that, if that.

The dude probably got it at an auction for $1500, modded it and selling it for 4K, a common pratice here.

I will just keep looking for a newer year. I am not particularly attached to the Crown Vic, they are just basic transportation. Good V8 engine, roomy on the inside more or less.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Wonder how many idle hours are on it.

a completely legit point with these cars.

Originally Posted By: pacem

The strong selling point for this 2007 model is the new engine. It has to cost 3 grand just to install it. It isn't new however. Without the newer engine, it *might* be worth half that, if that.

Really, that's a warped point of view.

A car's value isn't the sum of all of it's parts. Buyers determine value, and buyers are purchasing the car for it's functionality. One running and driving Crown Vic is worth the same as another running and driving Crown Vic in the same condition, replacement engine or not. A good engine is a good engine, original or replacement.

If you put $15k in windows and $10k in roof replacement into your house, does that mean your house is worth $25k more???

I'd be concerned about how hard this thing was beat on to blow the engine at 96k and how beat the rest of the powertrain is as a result.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
This looks like a better deal

.. probably.

A Baltimore car? - no thanks. A used Police car? - pass. Get on the Northern Virginia Craigs list and find a nice car - if you have to stay in MD - stick with Montgomery Cty cars. Take your time and make a wise choice - not either of the above two junkers.

As far as recommendations for other cars, if you want one of these, stick with the regular civilian models. Same car with all of the creature comforts, and you can safely assume they had an easier life than these fleet cars. Plus, they really don't go for much more money.

Find yourself a nice Grand Marquis and forget all of this municipal garbage.

Originally Posted By: emmett442
Originally Posted By: pacem

Really, that's a warped point of view.

A car's value isn't the sum of all of it's parts. Buyers determine value, and buyers are purchasing the car for it's functionality. One running and driving Crown Vic is worth the same as another running and driving Crown Vic in the same condition, replacement engine or not. A good engine is a good engine, original or replacement.

If you put $15k in windows and $10k in roof replacement into your house, does that mean your house is worth $25k more???

I get your point, completely. Makes sense.

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
Wonder how many idle hours are on it.

Enough to wear out a motor in 96k. Which means the replacement is a third of the way there.

The K&N filter would bug me. Not sure I'd go for a vehicle with one of those. Just don't like 'em.

I'm not really a Ford fan but the Crown Victoria / Mercury Marquis is one of Ford's best vehicles. They are well built, Ford restrained themselves from their usual practice of changing parts every two years for no good reason (to the owner; to the company it was an ongoing practice to reduce manufacturing costs), it's a Body On Frame construction, which is heavier but also strong. The drivetrain is amongst Ford's most reliable units.

My dad bought one in 2001, and gave it to my sister when he lost his license due to medical reasons about ten years later. She drove it until 2007 when she bought a new Honda Civic, which she still drives. Think about that ... she's in her 50's and has owned only two cars. The first she ran for 26 years. I don't see any reason to dismiss a vehicle that can pull that kind of reliability off. * I don't think she had much work done to it, but there was a problem, under warranty, when my dad owned it with the head gasket.

These are getting scarce at the auctions these days, as police etc agencies are retiring them and going to the FWD cars and suvs available to them now. At surplus assets auctions, ex-RCMP Crown Vics here in running / safetied condition are selling for $C 900 to C$1800 ($US 690~1380).

* In my experience, women car owners fall into two broad categories. The first is those women who take the vehicle regularly to a competent mechanic or the dealer, and pay to get service done as recommended. The second are women who think cars last forever with zero attention, and who pay through the nose when the vehicle stops dead due to ignored noise / suspension / brakes / belts / hoses / filters / fluids / motor parts. My sister is very frugal, but understands the concept of penny wise and pound foolish. She was one of the first category.

Last time I was looking at 6-8 year old Crown Vics, the best one available was 35K miles at $6K. That's the kind of car I'd go after. Grand Marquis fine too. Pass on the police package cars unless they're extremely low mileage and proven they were "babied."

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
My dad bought one in 2001, and gave it to my sister when he lost his license due to medical reasons about ten years later.

So, your dad gave the car to your sister in 2011? And then your sister drove it until...

She drove it until 2007 when she bought a new Honda Civic,

confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My dad bought one in 2001, and gave it to my sister when he lost his license due to medical reasons about ten years later.

So, your dad gave the car to your sister in 2011? And then your sister drove it until...

She drove it until 2007 when she bought a new Honda Civic,

confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif

crackmeup2.gif

And then:
Think about that ... she's in her 50's and has owned only two cars. The first she ran for 26 years.
How did she drive a car for 26 years that he bought in 2001?

Don't buy a fleet dinosaur. If you must - look at one from a private party.....but only if you must.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back