Rental '15 Toyota Yaris Gas Mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't how anyone could get less than 30 MPG with one of these cars no matter how they drive or what the tranny is.

TopGear got 17.2 MPG UK (14.3 MPG US) out of a Prius.
smile.gif

I could see that if you were driving it around with the parking brake on while towing a bull dozer on a trailer...otherwise, this is one of those things that makes a person say WTH???

Last edited:
I always get around 45 mpg mix of hwy and city or over 400 miles per tank. I usually fill up when there is 1 or 2 bar left.

Originally Posted By: shadow7
I always get around 45 mpg mix of hwy and city or over 400 miles per tank. I usually fill up when there is 1 or 2 bar left.

That's what I'm talking about...you have to be either be doing something really bad, or something is wrong with the engine to be getting less than 30 MPG in a Yaris...

I don't how anyone could get less than 30 MPG with one of these cars no matter how they drive or what the tranny is.

smile.gif

I could see that if you were driving it around with the parking brake on while towing a bull dozer on a trailer...otherwise, this is one of those things that makes a person say WTH???

No parking brake and no towing a bulldozer, but they did have it on the track.
smile.gif

smile.gif

No parking brake and no towing a bulldozer, but they did have it on the track.
smile.gif

Maybe it had a gas leak? Seriously, I don't see how you can get a Prius to drop to 14 MPG, unless you're driving wide open throttle, uphill in 1st gear...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
About the same thing I found when I had a current-gen one for a rental a few years back. It got about 35 mpg at 55-60 mph, which for a car that small was not that good...

Yaris should do better than that, though I confess I have no experience with one.
A modern Camry and similar vehicles can get over 40 MPG at that speed.

Maybe it had a gas leak? Seriously, I don't see how you can get a Prius to drop to 14 MPG, unless you're driving wide open throttle, uphill in 1st gear...

They pretty much did try to go as fast as it could go. Not sure what gear since Prius has CVT.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Yaris is a terrible highway car

I disagree. I've driven my daughter's Yaris on the highway several times and it drives just fine...maybe it's not so great at 90 MPH, then again, 90 MPH isn't a NORMAL highway speed...at 75 or less I see no problem with it...

Yaris is a terrible highway car and doing 90 is nuts with a tin can. It is a great around town car though.

Yep -- and it's really difficult to achieve both. Our CR-V, for example, is very light on its feet and feels frisky around town. But it's a little "darty" on the road at 75 mph, and the shorter wheelbase hurts the ride quality. I can't imagine driving a Yaris at the same speed (or more).

On the flip side, our Acura MDX is a sublime highway vehicle. The MDX is a much heavier vehicle than our CR-V, by at least 1,000 pounds, so it makes perfect sense that it'd feel more solid on the road...but that weight plays against it in town, where it's a bit less maneuverable, and where it feels more sluggish than the Honda in quick maneuvers.

Little cars can be fine to motor along at 90mph, there lots of Yaris sized or smaller cars ran that speed or higher in Germany or Italy every day without a problem.
Most of them though wouldn't be tuned to N. America levels of steering boost and floaty suspension though.

It's all relative. Sure, a small car will drive 90 mph...just as it's possible to drive and park an S-class Mercedes in the inner city. It's just that one is better suited to each task than the other.

Yes, you can drive a Yaris @ 90 mph for 1,200 miles. As the OP found out, however, it doesn't excel in that duty.

90's a nice slow cruise for an S class.

The big boy V12's don't even start to stretch their legs until 120.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
About the same thing I found when I had a current-gen one for a rental a few years back. It got about 35 mpg at 55-60 mph, which for a car that small was not that good...

Yaris should do better than that, though I confess I have no experience with one.
A modern Camry and similar vehicles can get over 40 MPG at that speed.

This was a rental-spec 4-speed slushbox version. The manual should do better.

Bigger cars often have similar or better highway FE than Yaris-sized cars because of their aerodynamics. More body length for the air to stay attached to, and the transitions between the engine/cabin/trunk can be smoother. A Prius will do better on the highway than the Yaris Hybrid, er, Prius C for that specific reason.

A Prius will do better on the highway than the Yaris Hybrid, er, Prius C for that specific reason.

exactly, prius hatchback has better hwy mpg than prius c while prius c has better city mpg than prius hatchback.

i believe c stands for city.

Yaris is a terrible highway car and doing 90 is nuts with a tin can. It is a great around town car though.

I know, I only do 35k highway miles a year on mine I must hate myself or something

Or it's not really that terrible.

(I've only owned it 2 years, bought it at 60k)

In the TopGear test, it was to show that driving conditions greatly affect MPG.
They put the Stig in the prius and lapped around the course as fast as it could, and tailed it with a M3, so the M3 could mirror the prius's drive.
Because the M3 was not working in midrange of it's performance envelope, versus the extreme edge for the prius, it's MPG ended up better than the prius.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Subdued

I know, I only do 35k highway miles a year on mine I must hate myself or something

Or it's not really that terrible.

(I've only owned it 2 years, bought it at 60k)

Not only that, but it is a Toyota, so you must hate the concept of driving also.

Seriously, I don't see how you can get a Prius to drop to 14 MPG, unless you're driving wide open throttle, uphill in 1st gear...

Or if your wife decides to leaves the car "on" overnight in the garage...

IMG_9633_zps6e5d2fa5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back