What's my car worth?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a clue, try checking out other Impala's for sale in your area. Basically people aren't interested in a high end model at high end prices. Even at 6k, it's basically full retail. A craiglist price is probably more like 4-5k. Also in your ad, you say you won't take a dollar less. Get rid of that. When you find out what people are offering, then you'll know the market value. Plus when you say that you have a tuner and a code reader for the car, that might also scare people away. Sell that separately. Tires that have 20k aren't new anymore. You have a little too much hyperbole in your ad. Only other option according to Nadaguide that adds value is bose stereo. If you have that option, list it.

Seriously, look at what else is on the market, a 2011 LT with 78k at $6500. You think someone is going to jump at a 2008 with 135k for $500 less? A beat up 2010 LT with 130k is there for $5000. Plus there's another 2008 SS for $4k with 111k on it. Like I normally say, the market speaks, some people don't listen. Drop it to 5k and just take it if someone offers you $4500, but maybe you'll only get 4k.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/oklahoma-city-2008-impala-ss/6903060302.html

OP, my threshold for trade with a dealer is KBB Private Party Retail value for my vehicle, and "best going rate" for theirs. For example, if I can find a dealership in California that moves 2000 cars a month, and they will sell the IDENTICAL vehicle to me for a certain price, then that's the price. I will pay doc fees equal to the plane ticket though, as a kick-back to the dealer, usually under the guise of "This dealer has treated me great, and I'd like to keep my dollars local.".

So if you're expecting more than KBB PP retail value (minus any mechanical work needed), from a dealer, than yeah, you're asking too much. If you're not, then keep pushing until you get what you want.

Based on what you posted, I put your car as in "GOOD" condition, and checked very box but NAV (as you don't have a NAV screen I can see). Private Party Retail is $3,726-5,277. However, it is "an SS", so you have a bit of an "intangible" there. If a dealer offered you $5K, I'd take it in a heartbeat!!!! However, I'd post it for $7800 and let someone on Facebook marketplace talk me down to $6K. If that didn't work for a few months, take it t o $6800 and lower expectations to $5K. Also keep in mind...every mile you put on it, is a mile that something expensive could break.

*My numbers are pretty high. You live in Oklahoma. I'd be happy to pull $5K for it from ANY source, were I you. My opinion is that you think too much of your car and need to just keep it, because noone values it as much as you do, based on your postings.

Keep in mind no mainstream dealer will off you more than wholesale auction price, because that's where your car would go. Not even a wax job. Straight to auction block. On MOST non-diesel trick domestics, 100K is a pretty hard cutoff for auction. With Japanese cars, it's more flexible.

Last edited:
I'd almost be tempted to make an offer on it. But I would pull the engine & trans for a refresh, So the price would need to reflect that. And it's RED. Few cars look good in red

The color might just be the thing that's keeping you from selling.

Your selling a full-size sedan in a market that buys Trucks & SUV's. While I don't live in Oklahoma....I've visited 100's of times & have family all over the Pawnee/Stillwater/Cushing area. They all (The ones that can afford what they want) drive trucks

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'd almost be tempted to make an offer on it. But I would pull the engine & trans for a refresh, So the price would need to reflect that. And it's RED. Few cars look good in red

Your selling a full-size sedan in a market that buys Trucks & SUV's. While I don't live in Oklahoma....I've visited 100's of times & have family all over the Pawnee/Stillwater/Cushing area. They all (The ones that can afford what they want) drive trucks

Why? The LSX engines are just fine at 130K miles, and the transmission very well could be, also. I sold my LS1 car at 149K miles, and it ran great.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Why? The LSX engines are just fine at 130K miles, and the transmission very well could be, also. I sold my LS1 car at 149K miles, and it ran great.

Because he'd rebuild the transmission, and if you're going to pull the trans you may as well freshen the motor (and drop a cam in it.)

Clinebarger knows what he's doing.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Ws6

Because he'd rebuild the transmission, and if you're going to pull the trans you may as well freshen the motor (and drop a cam in it.)

I guess I don't see the point in dropping $1500 ($500 for the cam, valve-springs, $300ish for the tune, another $500 for random parts needed to make it sensible like headers, etc./replacement gaskets/etc, and then $200 for random crap that you discover....and that's JUST the cam, and doing all the labor yourself, and assuming you buy some seriously cheap headers) in a $2500 trade-in value vehicle. Especially when he could buy a Camaro/Trans Am instead and at least have RWD to hook that 400+whp up.

I guess I'd just drive it like I bought it, but some people do like to tinker, I get it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Here's a clue, try checking out other Impala's for sale in your area. I have been. Basically people aren't interested in a high end model at high end prices. $span> Even at 6k, it's basically full retail. Not according to book, which I'm in the right range on. A craiglist price is probably more like 4-5k. Also in your ad, you say you won't take a dollar less. Get rid of that. When you find out what people are offering, then you'll know the market value. Plus when you say that you have a tuner and a code reader for the car, that might also scare people away. Sell that separately. Tires that have 20k aren't new anymore. You have a little too much hyperbole in your ad. Noted. Only other option according to Nadaguide that adds value is bose stereo. If you have that option, list it. That's the only option it doesn't have.

Seriously, look at what else is on the market, a 2011 LT with 78k at $6500. You think someone is going to jump at a 2008 with 135k for $500 less? It's a different (higher priced) package, so, yes?
21.gif
A beat up 2010 LT with 130k is there for $5000. This kinda reinforces mine for $6k, considering it's not beat up, and is a much higher package. Plus there's another 2008 SS for $4k with 111k on it. Fair, but from just a glance the leather is trash (my leather is a 10/10) and the gauge cluster is messed up... Like I normally say, the market speaks, some people don't listen. Drop it to 5k and just take it if someone offers you $4500, but maybe you'll only get 4k. No way, no how. No matter how desperate I get, I'll keep it for $5k. I know it's worth that. That's the low end of the books. It's not a low end car.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/oklahoma-city-2008-impala-ss/6903060302.html
Hopefully I didn't come across as arrogant or a jerk, I truly appreciate the criticism and input. I just wanted to think out loud. Thanks for your time!

Well, you'd at least get a fully transparent sale. You've helped me countless times here, and I would be 100% honest with it and sell it cheaper to you than I would someone else as a thank you. However, based on what you've said (which is 100% understandable), it sounds like you're not even close to $5k, and I'm not below it (or even there yet).

Yeah, the truck/suv/cuv rage is really hurting this era Impala. My book value has dropped $600+ in the last three months without even driving it.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I see both sides. A mechanic will do what a mechanic wants to do. Especially a good one. However, (when ignoring the internet doom and gloom, because supposedly they can quit faster than you can blink) I'm being 100000% serious when I say I have ZERO reason to believe this transmission will have any problems before at least 200K. It is freakin strong, and shifts better than new, thanks to the tuner. Yet another reason I may keep it.

My BiL was very hardline over selling a MGM … beautiful burgundy car (tan leather) when he folded his arms and would not sell for less than what he thought it was worth.
It sat in the driveway until the clear coat started going bad - gas prices up - sold it for 2/3 of his original price … (and after my sister tore into him).

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Here's a clue, try checking out other Impala's for sale in your area. I have been. Basically people aren't interested in a high end model at high end prices. $span> Even at 6k, it's basically full retail. Not according to book, which I'm in the right range on. A craiglist price is probably more like 4-5k. Also in your ad, you say you won't take a dollar less. Get rid of that. When you find out what people are offering, then you'll know the market value. Plus when you say that you have a tuner and a code reader for the car, that might also scare people away. Sell that separately. Tires that have 20k aren't new anymore. You have a little too much hyperbole in your ad. Noted. Only other option according to Nadaguide that adds value is bose stereo. If you have that option, list it. That's the only option it doesn't have.

Seriously, look at what else is on the market, a 2011 LT with 78k at $6500. You think someone is going to jump at a 2008 with 135k for $500 less? It's a different (higher priced) package, so, yes?
21.gif
A beat up 2010 LT with 130k is there for $5000. This kinda reinforces mine for $6k, considering it's not beat up, and is a much higher package. Plus there's another 2008 SS for $4k with 111k on it. Fair, but from just a glance the leather is trash (my leather is a 10/10) and the gauge cluster is messed up... Like I normally say, the market speaks, some people don't listen. Drop it to 5k and just take it if someone offers you $4500, but maybe you'll only get 4k. No way, no how. No matter how desperate I get, I'll keep it for $5k. I know it's worth that. That's the low end of the books. It's not a low end car.

Hopefully I didn't come across as arrogant or a jerk, I truly appreciate the criticism and input. I just wanted to think out loud. Thanks for your time!

I go by nadguide.com. Full retail is 6k. Other books tend to be on the high side. Ever wonder why everyone can beat KBB? Because their prices are too high. Nadaguide is what the insurance companies use when your car is totaled because they use actual sale prices, not asking prices. Like I said earlier, all the clues are there for you to pick them up. The fact that you haven't had a single person ask you about it tells you that it's too high. Stop wasting your time and just keep if you think it's worth 5k to you. It will just continue to depreciate every month. As for the 2011 with 78k, it's a NEWER car with less milage. That's the key point. People don't actually pay extra for a higher package or more options, they just go by book. That's how I got a pretty fully loaded Mercedes E-350 which was priced about the same as other cars that didn't have the options, but because the options weren't there in nadaguide, the dealers didn't charge any more for it. No matter what you think it's worth, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Obviously no one else in the area agrees with you except yourself.

Also you can get a 2008 Mercedes E-350 for $5000-$6200 with similar mileage. Compared to those, your car is a low end car and you're asking about the same money.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/d/manchester-2008-mercedes-benz-350-e/6917713649.html

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/fairfield-2008-mercedes-benz-e350-4/6919613022.html

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d/johnston-2008-mercedes-e350-4-matic/6919798698.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/d/bronx-2008-mercedes-benz-e350-4matic/6914018292.html

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

I guess I don't see the point in dropping $1500 ($500 for the cam, valve-springs, $300ish for the tune, another $500 for random parts needed to make it sensible like headers, etc./replacement gaskets/etc, and then $200 for random crap that you discover....and that's JUST the cam, and doing all the labor yourself, and assuming you buy some seriously cheap headers) in a $2500 trade-in value vehicle. Especially when he could buy a Camaro/Trans Am instead and at least have RWD to hook that 400+whp up.

I guess I'd just drive it like I bought it, but some people do like to tinker, I get it.

It has AFM.....I would delete that. I have a few LQ4/LQ9 camshafts along with sets of new "Take-Off" Blue & Yellow LS6/LS2 springs, I do my own tuning (HPtuners)
The transmission.....I don't need to go into that.

I have a 2001 Camaro with a cammed L92 backed by a stalled 4L80E.

Well, you'd at least get a fully transparent sale. You've helped me countless times here, and I would be 100% honest with it and sell it cheaper to you than I would someone else as a thank you. However, based on what you've said (which is 100% understandable), it sounds like you're not even close to $5k, and I'm not below it (or even there yet).

Yeah, the truck/suv/cuv rage is really hurting this era Impala. My book value has dropped $600+ in the last three months without even driving it.

I wouldn't want to insult you, I do however want to wish you the best of luck.

Very diplomatic way to say it. But I've always found it strange how a low ball offer is considered an insult to the seller, but why is that the case if the seller has priced it too high? It does explain the crickets though.

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks.

FWIW, I decided to drop to $5800. It's considered "in-range" according to KBB's "very good" condition (not excellent). I'm still weighing what I want to do. It's still worth $6k to me, and I know I won't find a car well taken care of like this for $6k down the road, but paying bills is worth something too. I was just hoping to have a little fun money (after bills, the car itself is almost paid off,
I think I'm frozen here unless someone actually shows a lick of interest by driving it and provides feedback, someone actually makes a reasonable offer, or until I decide on a realistic plan for keeping it. Idk.
21.gif

The only thing I know is that paying full coverage insurance for 3 vehicles sucks [censored]. And I know, all the more reason to lower it quickly and be done, but I just can't stand letting the most cared for car in my life go for such a puny, pathetic amount. Those countless hours documenting all of it's parts and service... It seems it was all in vain. I don't have kids, but the only analogy I can think of is that it's like watching your only child (who you thought would truly go the distance and make it big) turn their back on/no longer care about you and end up working at McDonald's their whole life. It's just crazy to think that this is the same car that constantly attracted people's interest, compliments, and jealousy the entire time I owned it, and now it's like the kid at school that everyone picks on and nobody feels bad for...

Last edited:
but I just can't stand letting the most cared for car in my life go for such a puny, pathetic amount.

Need to get off the emotional attachment and face the facts that 99.9% of people do not care how well you take care of something or money spent. It is expected by most buyers but most buyers do not equate paying a premium for it.

My Grandfather told me some sage advice on vehicles. Do not over care for them unless you plan on taking them to the bone yard. Excessive maintenance and upkeep only benefits the next buyer.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
[quote but I just can't stand letting the most cared for car in my life go for such a puny, pathetic amount[/b].

Need to get off the emotional attachment and face the facts that 99.9% of people do not care how well you take care of something or money spent. It is expected by most buyers but most buyers do not equate paying a premium for it.

]My Grandfather told me some sage advice on vehicles. Do not over care for them unless you plan on taking them to the bone yard. Excessive maintenance and upkeep only benefits the next buyer. [/quote]

man he's spot on....

Last edited:
The only thing I know is that paying full coverage insurance for 3 vehicles sucks [censored]. And I know, all the more reason to lower it quickly and be done, but I just can't stand letting the most cared for car in my life go for such a puny, pathetic amount. Those countless hours documenting all of it's parts and service... It seems it was all in vain. I don't have kids, but the only analogy I can think of is that it's like watching your only child (who you thought would truly go the distance and make it big) turn their back on/no longer care about you and end up working at McDonald's their whole life. It's just crazy to think that this is the same car that constantly attracted people's interest, compliments, and jealousy the entire time I owned it, and now it's like the kid at school that everyone picks on and nobody feels bad for...

I get the same with my Mercedes, paid a tad under 20k for it. Probably worth about 6-8k now after 5 years. That's depreciation for you. I enjoyed it though so I don't really care. People don't care what you feel it's worth or how much you need to get out of it. They only pay you for what they think it's worth. Obviously you think it's worth more than what other people are willing to offer or even consider.

As for your listing, looks better, but you need a lot more pictures if you want top dollar. Look at some of the cars on the other websites like cars.com, cargurus.com, etc., they always have like 30+ pictures. More pictures of the front, sides, back, dash, trunk, tires (to show tread), vin, date of manufacturer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back