Need opinions on selling my car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
As college students making little money with a loan on another car. Keep your car, graduate college, pay off the loan on other car first and then maybe consider a different one when new job or life requires it.

Good luck.

It only really makes sense to get rid of an older car to get a newer car. OP is proposing to get rid of a car and get an even older car on the theory that the older car will be more reliable than his newer car. While the failure rate may be lower, the higher age also makes it more prone to failure which is why people get rid of older cars all the time to get newer ones. Getting rid of an old car to get an even older car is somewhat dubious at best. If you must get rid of it, get a newer car.

Just traded in 2001 RX300 with less than 60K. Lexus does need repairs in my experience and OEM parts are very expensive. A lot depends on how it was maintained. I fed it a diet of Pennzoil Plantiun, PUP, Mobil 1, and Castrol Edge due to the potential of a the motor sludging.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
If you are looking to buy a Toyota, why not a 4 cylinder 2003-2006 Camry. Can get them cheap. My dad's 06 has 200k on it with nothing but oil changes and brakes and 2 coolant flushes. No lie.

^ This.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not saying they're perfect by any means but you would be increasing the reliability factory by quite a bit by doing this. Dump the Impala while it still has some value. The moment the engine, trans or other major problem hits it goes straight to the crusher.

Known Impala year that has tranny issues. Id sell it while it runs but yep, go for something newer and go Toyota. Used luxury never seems to turn out well. A newer Camry will serve you well and last with minimal maintenance.

Car payments - uh, not good. Car running OK. Don't beat on it and get through school first. Get a real job and then worry about cars ...

You're in TX so you know there are rust free cars out there 20 years old, or more. What are you doing being in school and making car payments ...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
This is the Lexus he is speaking of: https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/lexus-es-runs-great/6236493256.html

Nothing in the ad screams "run" to me. But that's just one of many things to check out. A few more would be to ask the seller why is the car being sold. Check oil level and other fluid levels. Hopefully has maintenance records. How long has current owner had it for. Ask seller if any known problems. Have mechanic look it over. Carfax - I know not perfect.

Why would you think that a four years older Camry badged as a Lexus with 65K more miles would be a better car than your Impala?
Talk to some GM wrenches and they'll tell you that the Impala that you own is a solid car. GM cars of the last fifteen years are not nearly as awful as they're usually made out to be and Toyota products of the same period aren't as wonderful as the uninformed believe them to be.
This Lexus may or may not be a good bet, but I wouldn't bet too much on the badge when you're looking at a seriously old and high mileage car.
Better to stay with the devil you know IMHO.

I had an Impala (2004) and it was a good car. I knew about the potential tranny issues and changed the fluid and filter every 25K miles. A new GM rebuilt transmission incl. labor is 1800 bucks and if you do that, the car has another 100K miles easily left in it before any other major issue. The 3.4 is a very good engine and the gasket problem was fixed late 2003 and definitely for the 2004+ model years. Keep in mind GM parts are a lot cheaper than anything foreign, and no way would I trade my newer, lower mileage car for that Lexus.

Last edited:
We had a 2002 Impala LS - 3800 Series III? - great engine - Put 90k on it before son totaled it.
The car only saw the dealer for a 40k transmission ATF job ...

Pull in for a Coke today and there were two old Impala's and a freaking Lumina - kept thinking how they mucked things up for the new generation Impala - with the V6 the nicest rental I've had in a long time ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
We had a 2002 Impala LS - 3800 Series III? - great engine - Put 90k on it before son totaled it.
The car only saw the dealer for a 40k transmission ATF job ...

Pull in for a Coke today and there were two old Impala's and a freaking Lumina - kept thinking how they mucked things up for the new generation Impala - with the V6 the nicest rental I've had in a long time ...

is it me or it almost look like a Charger?

Still think is a nice car

Another thing about the older Impalas is they get 30+ mpg on the highway. I routinely got 34 mpg on a interstate road trip if I set the cruise at 67 mph.

This is the Lexus he is speaking of: https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/lexus-es-runs-great/6236493256.html

Nothing in the ad screams "run" to me. But that's just one of many things to check out. A few more would be to ask the seller why is the car being sold. Check oil level and other fluid levels. Hopefully has maintenance records. How long has current owner had it for. Ask seller if any known problems. Have mechanic look it over. Carfax - I know not perfect.

Few things are red flags to me. The add says the timing belt, water pump and some belts are changed at 178k miles. Pretty odd number, considering that it should be changed at 200k. So this car either never had a TB changed, or it was simply done to boost the price, which screams a flip.
Another thing is that none of the parts were OEM and no idler pulleys or tensioners seem to be mentioned on the receipt. Again a sign of a flip, plus the tensioner and the idler pulleys may fail prematurely, since they were not changed. And who knows how long that aftermarket WP is going to last.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Few things are red flags to me. The add says the timing belt, water pump and some belts are changed at 178k miles. Pretty odd number, considering that it should be changed at 200k. So this car either never had a TB changed, or it was simply done to boost the price, which screams a flip.
Another thing is that none of the parts were OEM and no idler pulleys or tensioners seem to be mentioned on the receipt. Again a sign of a flip, plus the tensioner and the idler pulleys may fail prematurely, since they were not changed. And who knows how long that aftermarket WP is going to last.
I agree! That was just a timing belt slap with a after market water pump install. Do you trust 16 year old idler and tensioners with almost 200k. Job will likely have to be redone sooner than later

Last edited:
So, didn't realize this thread was still going but I really appreciate all the advice. I'm not a car guru by any means, but I'm leaps and bounds ahead of just about everyone I associate with so it's nice to have some place to go when I have questions.

To answer a few questions-

Why am I even thinking about selling the car- The Impala has been taken care of, at least as far as I can tell. No leaks, locally owned (bought when new in the same town I'm in) and had plenty of service records (I got the carfax before I bought it). The biggest reason I'm even contemplating selling it is pretty simple- I am unfamiliar with this iteration of the Impala and their reliability. Some people say they are solid, but a majority of people I've heard from say to run from these cars as fast as you can. I also never really feel solid about the car even after I repair something or perform preventative maintenance. Coupled with that feeling, there are some issues with it such as the infamous 4T65E hard shift (although the shift kit seems to have really helped- hasn't shifted hard yet), it's in dire need of shocks/struts and intermittent hard starts (what I would call stumbling starts). With that said, I have put a lot of work into it (see first post) and it's hard to give up a car that you know has had that much work done to it. Also, I hope that the intake manifold gasket fix was in fact done in 2003. That would certainly make me feel better about it.

Why replace it with an older car, and a Lexus no less- I'm not really worried about age as there's not a huge difference to me between the two. Now, why the Lexus. I'm not interested in the badging as much as I am the powertrain. If this was a Camry, I'd be just as interested. Unfortunately, decently cared for cars are hard to come by around here it seems (granted, I just check Craigslist passively from time to time). These engines/transmissions just have a much better track record in terms of reliability and longevity.

Now, I've given it some thought and I've decided to just stay put. I'm going to put away money for a future replacement car and drive this thing until I have to tow it to the junk yard. I've never retired a car in that fashion, but there's a first for everything. I'm hoping that I can get quite a bit more out of this car as it is in really nice shape, but I guess we will see.

Thanks again for the input. It was an interesting read and a lot of solid advice!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back