What's my car worth?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my Impala SS posted for sale for over a month. No serious inquiries at all. Barely a nibble. Nobody even wanted to open the door, much less start or drive it. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm selling a niche car or if I'm out of touch on pricing. I'll try to be brief, but here's the basics:

2008 Impala SS 5.3L V8
*135K miles
*Interior is [censored] near perfect, leather looks brand new
*Exterior is above average, but not perfect (some front rock chips, minor dings, etc.)
*Engine is strong
*Trans is even stronger (which is unheard of with this trans at this mileage, transmission mechanics are stunned when I say it's all original)
*Loaded with every possible option
*Matching quality tires with ~60% tread remaining
*No rust, no hail damage, no accidents (was stolen when new, but no damage other than a few minor indentions between the door and 'roof' where it looks like he tried to wedge a pry bar in there to open the door. Barely noticeable)
*Includes a handheld tuner (current value $250, cheapest online used price)

***My strongest selling point? A COMPLETE freakishly OCD maintenance history. Literally every bolt, quart of oil, and gallon of gas (no I'm not kidding) has documentation since I bought it at 76K (and I even have some documentation from the previous owner). All of which is conveniently placed into a well-organized binder that matches the car. You won't find that anywhere else.

Full synthetic oil changes every 4K, trans has been drained and filled a few times, coolant flushed, plugs and wires (yes, the short wires to the coils) changed at 80K... the list is extensive, but I said brief!

Am I out of touch asking $7,500? The base model Impalas with similar miles are going for $5-7k around me. I've literally never had a problem selling a car, and I figured this one would be the easiest considering the records. But go figure, the one time I bust my [censored] keeping records to make it an easy sell, it's the most difficult yet.
21.gif

A few sample pics of many (sorry if some pics don't upload correctly, posting from my phone):

Screenshot_20190507-053246.png

20190326_192740.jpg

20190326_193108.jpg

20190326_193346.jpg

20190326_193901.jpg

No offense, but that body is one of the more unappealing SS's built "boring". If the transmission takes a dump after someone buys this car, its a major "hit" on the "deal" that you think this is. People buying this platform want a boring car with a boring powertrain!

Originally Posted by EricG
No offense, but that body is one of the more unappealing SS's built "boring". If the transmission takes a dump after someone buys this car, its a major "hit" on the "deal" that you think this is. People buying this platform want a boring car with a boring powertrain!

I appreciate the criticism. I know it's not a '64. Or a '95. But when you step on that pedal, no offense, mine isn't the boring model in comparison...
19.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'd say it's about a $5k car.

Fair, but book values say otherwise. I'll keep it for anything less than $6K, maybe even $6,500. Not trying to sound blunt or rude, I really appreciate the criticism and input. That was the point of this thread.

You may find the right buyer for your car. Sadly, they just don't have a great resale value but I don't think it's terrible either! Clean up the engine bay some and it could surprise you. I can't tell by the pics however, do some extra cleaning & polishing to the interior & exterior as well and you may get your asking price. Make it look just that little bit snappier. Zip Code also has some effect on the price.

Originally Posted by tony1679

Fair, but book values say otherwise. I'll keep it for anything less than $6K, maybe even $6,500. Not trying to sound blunt or rude, I really appreciate the criticism and input. That was the point of this thread.

No bites usually implies your price is too high. I would say its likely a car that not many people are interested in. Almost only fits a niche market. The way I look at it, its a chevy with a 135k miles, id never spend 7500$ on a car with that much mileage. If people are aware that the model is known for trans issues is likely another hesitation. Why are you selling it?

Originally Posted by tony1679

Which book?

It is worth what it is worth. Drop the price until you start getting interest.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
You may find the right buyer for your car. Sadly, they just don't have a great resale value but I don't think it's terrible either! Clean up the engine bay some and it could surprise you. I can't tell by the pics however, do some extra cleaning & polishing to the interior & exterior as well and you may get your asking price. Make it look just that little bit snappier. Zip Code also has some effect on the price.
I can't stand engine bays that are slicker than snot from cleaners and detail chemicals. That's the reason it's never been done. The way I see it, if I were the buyer, I would want to see it in this condition. It shows that the seller isn't hiding anything and I know exactly what I'm getting into. I understand I'm not the buyer, and that everyone has different opinions, but surely this point of view can at least be respected as being honest.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Why are you selling it?
I finally decided to become financially responsible/fit. 22 mpgs on premium fuel is far from financially responsible. It's been replaced by the Civic in my sig. 38 mpgs using the cheap stuff is frickin nice.

Your car sure looks pretty and I'd bet money you've kept it well.....but,
2008 means it's >10 MY old. People don't like that....base 10 mindset and all.

It's >135K. People don't like being near 100K. My last 3 sales were my previous Volvo V70's and a Saab.
Each had over 100K but 'Swedefreaks" know.

You imply the transmission is a known weak point.

There is a large caveat regarding buying someone's "old mussel car".

People say the police persecute red cars.

A 5.3 not being a 5.7 might have something to do with it. Can you make "proportional arguments" for the smaller engine.

"No serious inquiries....barely a nibble" etc. So how many "nobodies" have come by who haven't opened the door or desired to start and drive it?

How many outlets are you using to advertise? If it's just Craigslist you're dealing with many (not all) who want $200 cars. The car photographs well so go for the $30 and place an ad on cars.com. Are there local "shoppers papers" near you? My experience is that the companies who publish these papers publish many so an ad in one is repeated in all.
Also, big, established papers have their want ads online so pictures can be uploaded.

Do you park it in high traffic areas with a sign? Do this when you go shopping etc. This is not to be overlooked.

DEPRESSING ANECDOTE:
I was asked to sell a neighbor's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic with The car had every option in GM's bin except for leather.
I "knew" the buyers would beat a path to my door.
(insert cricket sound effect HERE)
One family's matriarch called to tell me how after 6 Caprices the stupid grandson bought a new, manual shift sports car and rode the clutch to destruction.
A bloke who's older Caprice had been stolen was my buyer.

edit: I just saw the torrent of responses which came in whilst I wrote mine.
1) Premium gas guzzling car is a harder sell.
2) While I too appreciate dirt's natural honesty I gotta agree with cleaning the engine bay. If these nonexistent shoppers finally do show up you'll be able to tell 'em there are no leaks (or whatever). Cleanliness POPS more than raises suspicions.
3) As you're learning, lots of other people are growing more financially responsible.

Clean up the engine bay some and it could surprise you.

This. Trust me and Char Baby on this one. The first thing people who are looking for a niche car will do is pop the hood. They want to see a squeaky clean meticulously maintained engine bay. They want to be able to eat off of it.

Originally Posted by Kira
Your car sure looks pretty and I'd bet money you've kept it well.....but,
2008 means it's >10 MY old. People don't like that....base 10 mindset and all. [Fair.]

It's >135K. People don't like being near 100K. My last 3 sales were my previous Volvo V70's and a Saab.
Each had over 100K but 'Swedefreaks" know. [Fair.]

You imply the transmission is a known weak point. [Yes, if they're beat on...]

There is a large caveat regarding buying someone's "old mussel car". [Interesting]

People say the police persecute red cars. [Never been pulled over in the 6 years I've owned it. Then again, I drive like an old lady and never speed]

A 5.3 not being a 5.7 might have something to do with it. Can you make "proportional arguments" for the smaller engine. [Not sure I understand fully. It's no slouch, and I've owned an LT1]

"No serious inquiries....barely a nibble" etc. So how many "nobodies" have come by who haven't opened the door or desired to start and drive it? [3 people]

How many outlets are you using to advertise? If it's just Craigslist you're dealing with many (not all) who want $200 cars. The car photographs well so go for the $30 and place an ad on cars.com. Are there local "shoppers papers" near you? My experience is that the companies who publish these papers publish many so an ad in one is repeated in all.
Also, big, stablished papers have their want ads online so pictures can be uploaded. [This is my weak spot, but it seems strange, as I've never had to in the past. Times change I guess, maybe I should too]

Do you park it in high traffic areas with a sign? Do this when you go shopping etc. This is not to be overlooked.[Yes, I live on a major two-lane highway]

DEPRESSING ANECDOTE:
I was asked to sell a neighbor's 1996 Chevrolet Caprice Classic with The car had every option in GM's bin except for leather.
I "knew" the buyers would beat a path to my door.
(insert cricket sound effect HERE)
One family's matriarch called to tell me how after 6 Caprices the stupid grandson bought a new, manual shift sports car and rode the clutch to destruction.
A bloke who's older Caprice had been stolen was my buyer.
This is what I was looking for. A true critic. Someone to open my eyes to things I wasn't thinking of. I appreciate the time spent to reply!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Clean up the engine bay some and it could surprise you.

This. Trust me and Char Baby on this one. The first thing people who are looking for a niche car will do is pop the hood. They want to see a squeaky clean meticulously maintained engine bay. They want to be able to eat off of it.

I guess I would agree. I wouldn't want that at all though. To me, overly clean = something to hide.
21.gif

Yes, just clean it some but avoid the Crisco look the used car lots love …
the dull finish wipes are good on the plastic …

The used car market is a bit merciless. And it never lies about a car's true value.

Sorry for the OP, but you can't use other car's asking prices to determine value.

It's worth exactly what someone will pay you for it. No offense intended here at all, but that is hardly a desirable SS model. You are looking for a particular buyer, very rare, who appreciates the car...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
The used car market is a bit merciless. And it never lies about a car's true value.

Sorry for the OP, but you can't use other car's asking prices to determine value.

It's worth exactly what someone will pay you for it. No offense intended here at all, but that is hardly a desirable SS model. You are looking for a particular buyer, very rare, who appreciates the car...

Completely agreed. No offense taken. If I couldn't handle criticism, I wouldn't have created this thread. Appreciated.

That's exactly why I turned to BITOG, it's a tough crowd that doesn't sugar-coat things (in a good way)
thumbsup2.gif
. Perhaps I should have uploaded a pic of under a valve cover, that surely would have commanded more positive responses!
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back