Rental '15 Toyota Yaris Gas Mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Ride Report for a 2015 Toyota Yaris that I rented this past weekend.

2015 Yaris in Fleet trim with basically no options. Rented from Hertz in Round Rock, TX

5 Door Hatchback.

3700 miles on it.

Drove from Central Texas to El Paso Texas and back. About 1200 miles total.

Speed limit is 75mph to 85mph pretty much the whole way. I drove 90mph.

Car got 22.6MPG going up mountains and hills, second fillup was 27mpg.

Going back down the hill on the way home got nearly 30mpg.

Never over 30mpg at any point though. Car was struggling to get up the hills, and was reving up all the time.

Trip computer read an average MPG of 19.7MPG over the life of the car.

Range was only 225-240 miles before I decided to fill up.

Maintenance light came on at 4650 miles, this vehicle must have a 5k OCI unlike most of the other toyotas who now are 10k.

Car was reasonably well built, but did poorly on the highway, very unstable in cross winds. Might be a decent car for a lady or shorter man for around town, but not on 8.5 hour drives.

I am 6'5'' and I only tortured myself because I had enough points that were expiring, and I could get this class of rental car for free for 3 days.

This is not the smallest car, this is Compact. Economy seemed to be the Chevy Spark, which is weird because that is not that much smaller than Yaris. I would consider Corolla to be compact, but they are now calling that Intermediate.

I rented a Lincoln MK Sedan with Ecoboost 4 cylinder last month and it did get better gas mileage than the Yaris did. Different driving conditions, but I found that funny.

Last edited:
I rented one a couple of years ago. MPG was extremely sensitive to speed. At a steady 45 mph I was getting in the high 50's MPG. Above 70 mph it dropped like a rock and at 80 mph it was silly. Driving in the low 70's it was at or less than a Corolla.

They don't put any tech into these cars. Aerodynamics are obviously poor. The car is not designed to go 90 on a sustained basis. I wonder if the oil monitor took this into account?

I don't quite get Yaris anymore, it is bottom of the barrel but not that much cheaper than Corolla. If cheaper it would make sense.

The ancient 4AT is a known power hog, but 90mph is just too much for this old setup.

When I was shopping this car I noticed that it still calls for a 5k oci. It also still uses a metal canister, instead of a paper cartridge like later Toyota mills. Makes me think Toyota is just letting this car languish, and will just kill it off instead of its next design refresh--probably wants Yaris sales to go to Scion.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Maintenance light came on at 4650 miles, this vehicle must have a 5k OCI unlike most of the other toyotas who now are 10k.

Toyota recommends a tire rotation every 5k miles, so the maintenance light still will illuminate, prompting the owner to check the owner's manual and see what's recommended at that point in time.

2015 Toyota Yaris that I rented

I am 6'5''

We'll let it go this time and this time only. Next time we're going to need to see some pictures of this; eg.:

pkjnccocldglm8rftlme.jpg

They are geared pretty short for city driving ... running them at those speeds has to have the engine screaming. The 4 speed auto in the Yaris is outdated for sure, but it'll have no problem putting up with rental service and another 200K miles aftewards.

When I bought my Corolla the salesman echoed the same sentiments. Why buy a Yaris or Scion when for a small increase in price you can get a Corolla that is bigger, faster, and gets better gas mileage.

Lots of smaller hatchbacks aren't long enough to take full effect of a more aerodynamically efficient tail end.
Many hatchbacks do better around city speeds.

That being said, I enjoy reading everyone's comments.
It's always great to hear real reports about what is out there in the "thrifty" market that I shop in.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
2015 Toyota Yaris that I rented

I am 6'5''

We'll let it go this time and this time only. Next time we're going to need to see some pictures of this; eg.:

pkjnccocldglm8rftlme.jpg

Yeah pretty much. I rented a 4 door "sedan" yaris last year and it seemed to be bigger and have more room than the 5 door hatch.

Either way it was a clown car for me, also no cruise control. That was fun.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
When I bought my Corolla the salesman echoed the same sentiments. Why buy a Yaris or Scion when for a small increase in price you can get a Corolla that is bigger, faster, and gets better gas mileage.

Corolla is 1 of the top 10 selling vehicles in US and in Japan, Toyota would spend a lot of money to make sure it will be 1 of their best selling vehicles.

Yaris is another story, it didn't sell well and profit margin is low so Toyota wouldn't spend more money to improve it.

The Yaris is about the same price as Honda Fit, I think Fit with manual transmission is a much better driving car than Yaris.

I never quite understood the notion of complaining about fuel economy while driving 90 MPH...if you want good fuel economy, slow down...if you must drive that fast, then don't complain about poor fuel economy...

My daughter has an '09 Yaris hatchback...I think it drives fairly nicely on the highway, but then again, I don't do 90 MPH...at NORMAL highway speeds it does just fine...it is what it is and I think some of you may be expecting too much from this entry level vehicle...expect from it what it was intended for and it does it's job very well...my daughter averages in the high 30 MPG range all the time, and that's a mix of city/highway driving...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I never quite understood the notion of complaining about fuel economy while driving 90 MPH...if you want good fuel economy, slow down...if you must drive that fast, then don't complain about poor fuel economy...

+1.

Thats the point. A number of other cars will pull better mpg at those speeds. Whether or not one "has" to drive those speeds is irrelevant. Yaris only does so well, as long as kept to design speeds. Outside that speed and it just is not the right tool for the job.

Alternatively we could whine about how anyone complaining about mpg had better not drive faster than 55. Or 45. Or 35...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Jesus... You're driving 90 mph...

My car gets 34 mpg at 85 mph, and 44 mpg at 65 mph.

Similarly, my 5.6L V8 Nissan Titan gets 20MPG at 80MPH with tailgate down and max A/C. Having power is great for faster speeds. Interesting to see the high speed Yaris report.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Similarly, my 5.6L V8 Nissan Titan gets 20MPG at 80MPH with tailgate down and max A/C.

Sadly, that's about what our Q5 gets as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back