What’s important in your relationship?

Obviously completely off topic.

What is important to you in a relationship? What are deal breakers? Or must-haves?

For me in a partner I need someone who’s willing to have a legit, monogamous relationship. A plan for the future even if it’s a work in progress. A driver’s license and car (each time I overlook this it turns out bad). And at least some common ground in terms of politics, at the very least the ability to agree to disagree in a respectful manner. Of course being physically attracted to someone and liking them as a person and enjoying spending time with them is assumed/implied.

This is different for everyone so let’s hear it!

An analogy: Maybe some of the same things that are important in a vehicle.

Is reliable
Ready to start every morning
Lets you know when something's wrong but doesn't complain
Is economical
Will let you play and tolerate your own music
Handles well
You found it attrctive at first glance and will love, take care of it and appreciate it for the long haul.

Hard to say, it's been so long since I was "in the market".

Even personality, rolls with the punches, not easily angered. But truthful, willing to speak up.

Thing is, dating is a lousy way to get to know someone. You go on the first date, and you're on your best behavior. Are you really being yourself, or being what you want to be? And likewise in the other direction. I have no idea how to do it, but it'd be best to be friends first, and the relationship naturally develops into more than just being friends. No pretending, no best foot forward, just always being one's self. Wife and I were friends before anyone started accusing us of dating. We still "weren't dating" for another year before we gave up and said "we're dating". All along we were just being ourselves, turns out we liked being with each other.

My wife is my best friend. We share interests, want to do things together, and we're both willing to participate in things that we wouldn't normally would in order to spend time with each other. I don't see how a couple can happily stay together if they're not friends with each other. Obviously, there's a lot of other things that are equally as important, but I think that is the one thing that gets overlooked.

I’ve never been fortunate enough to have a relationship but trying to get one badly. I think a few things that would be important to me is someone who is loyal and honest who listens to me and I would do the same for them as well and be there to support them when I need to be. And also someone who shares at least a couple interests with me and is open to doing and trying new things. And also someone that wants to spend time with me and do things as a family not by themselves.

Trust and loyalty. 🙏
I made the mistake of showing my vulnerable side in relationships, and it was invariably used against me. The vindictive nature of women has left me content to be single with my dogs. The flipside is that as I get older, I really need a wing person.

Last edited:
My current wife and I were both divorced for similar reasons; our other half didn't realize it takes commitment and recognizing that it takes some compromise. If you have to make too much of a compromise, that's not good either, but you both have to be willing to make some compromises for each other. Thankfully, my wife and I met at an opportune time, we were both patient and not rushing into another marriage as we got to know each other, and we have very few (if any) arguments. We just click together and if we disagree on anything we get it figured out. Honesty, loyalty, and respect I can safely say are the key things that my wife and I would agree are most important. We make sure to make time for us, but we also recognize that we don't do everything together 100% of the time, we make time for ourselves too.

Back