The hypocrisy of selective anger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else and this would be locked in minutes.

Why? Because I'm a Mod? I'm just as accountable to the rules as others.
Please, someone point to the BITOG rule I've violated. Show me in the Standard of Conduct where we cannot talk about this topic.
I've not taunted anyone. I've not used foul language. I've not violated copyright laws or posted videos with sexual references.

If controversy were not allowed, would BITOG even exist? Because lord knows that we don't ever allow threads of dissent about oil filters, or OCI durations, or lube base stocks that are just 100% in total harmony, right? This is the GaOT forum, after all. We allow lots of conversation about a slew of things. What we don't allow is for rules or policy to be violated. This thread is not inconsistent with the rules or policy.

Those of you who call for this thread to be locked or deleted are the same who would want to ban other things in life, just because you don't agree with them.

I think having a reasonably polite conversation about contemporary issues in a side sub-forum like this is wholly appropriate and helpful for members. I would hope and I do think it would be tolerated well. I think a little loser rules about such conversations are a good policy.

I disagree. This site is VERY conservative and aggressive with moderation.

Why? Because I'm a Mod? I'm just as accountable to the rules as others.
Please, someone point to the BITOG rule I've violated. Show me in the Standard of Conduct where we cannot talk about this topic.
I've not taunted anyone. I've not used foul language. I've not violated copyright laws or posted videos with sexual references.

If controversy were not allowed, would BITOG even exist? Because lord knows that we don't ever allow threads of dissent about oil filters, or OCI durations, or lube base stocks that are just 100% in total harmony, right? This is the GaOT forum, after all. We allow lots of conversation about a slew of things. What we don't allow is for rules or policy to be violated. This thread is not inconsistent with the rules or policy.

Those of you who call for this thread to be locked or deleted are the same who would want to ban other things in life, just because you don't agree with them.

you guys are very aggressive and lock things down pretty quickly. How many ‘picture’ threads have we gone through in the past year, for instance?

The song "Fat Bottomed Girls" was recently cut from the Queen Greatest hits collection.

You’re kidding? That’s silly.

A parallel hypocritical situation was something I heard last week. I was driving and listening to my regular classical/jazz station from a local U. The downside of that is sometimes you get to listen to NPR propaganda.

In this case, the NPR announcer was introducting something from Franz Schubert. She commented that his famous “Unfinished Symphony” was unfinished because he died of syphillis. That detail was unneeded, but she as also quite “smirky” about it. No biggie, but then it occured to me that if a female had been similarly sl&t-shamed, it would have been an apoplectic moment for most NPR listeners.

I disagree. This site is VERY conservative and aggressive with moderation.

I was in fact AGREEING with you, just being a little more tactful in how I phrased it. ;)

Here’s the biggest problem with this situation. You are unwilling to see other’s side to it. You’re right about everything and unwilling to self reflect at all. You come on here to strike your own ego parading around here.

Honestly it just sounds like narcissism to me.
Who are you pointing to by this response? Please use the Reply key so we know to whom you are replying or answering.

I know the OP and he exhibits none of those personality traits of which you accuse him.

This is only one of the many hypocritic maladies being inflicted on society today.

Last edited:
I would avoid " this person " in the future . Feel free to insert your own label .

@dnewton3 in general, the word is frowned upon. I think the only usage that is socially acceptable today would be in reference to a mechanical process, ie "the throttle was retarded."

I think the lesson here is:
Be open to change and light on being offended yourself, or you will be leaving yourself open to being left behind.

Words change, context changes as history always does.

You’re kidding? That’s silly.

A parallel hypocritical situation was something I heard last week. I was driving and listening to my regular classical/jazz station from a local U. The downside of that is sometimes you get to listen to NPR propaganda.

In this case, the NPR announcer was introducting something from Franz Schubert. She commented that his famous “Unfinished Symphony” was unfinished because he died of syphillis. That detail was unneeded, but she as also quite “smirky” about it. No biggie, but then it occured to me that if a female had been similarly sl&t-shamed, it would have been an apoplectic moment for most NPR listeners.

I was in fact AGREEING with you, just being a little more tactful in how I phrased it. ;)

Nothing about your post agreed with my take on this thread. Tactful and blunt (stating the obvious) are not mutually exclusive. ;)

@dnewton3 in general, the word is frowned upon. I think the only usage that is socially acceptable today would be in reference to a mechanical process, ie "the throttle was retarded."

Be open to change and light on being offended yourself, or you will be leaving yourself open to being left behind.

It seems the people who are most offended are those less willing to change in VERY minor, inconsequential ways. It’s not hard to stop saying retarded in public. heck, I used to say it around the house (everyone said it in the Navy), but my wife broke me of the habit for the sake of our kids.

There are many stupid isms these days. Some words being excluded from one’s vocab for obvious reasons isn’t a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

//

some of the posts and responses are why I posted what I did about this being locked were this not posted by a mod...

you guys are very aggressive and lock things down pretty quickly. How many ‘picture’ threads have we gone through in the past year, for instance?
What gets locked, modified or deleted is in keeping with our directives from above. The rules are set by the owner.
We enforce those rules. We have input into what we believe should be allowed and ruled out; it is a team effort.

As much as some folks complain about the aggressive nature of Moderation here, we also get lots of compliments about how the site is run from others. Further we have a standard to uphold in regard to some professional business concerns.

This thread is not the place to complain about over-moderation. You should take that up with the staff administrator.

This thread is about selective anger based in emotional rage, and hypocritical choice of words. That's all; nothing more and nothing less.

OMG !!! Someone actually stumbled onto the underlying answer!
This is what I'm trying to get across !!!!

The terms moron, imbecile and idiot haven't had reasonable use in clinical terms for decades.
But socially we accept them to describe things we find objectionable in some manner.
"Dan - you're being an idiot for doing that."
"Sally - you're a moron for thinking that."
"That is the most imbecilic thing I've ever run across; who would buy that product?"
Etc ...
No one blinks an eye at these terms, whether they are applied to a person or a thing. Sure, they are meant to be derogatory, but no one says we can't use them. Sometimes they are used in jest; one friend playfully teasing another. At times they are meant to be hurtful. When these words are used, they are combined and considered with the INTENT and CONTEXT of the message, and not solely on the words themselves.

But not the word "retarded". No sir. That's considered heinous all the way around. Whether you describe a person or a thing, in jest or in hate, it's completely vulgar to use this word. The context and intent don't matter when the R word is used. Despite the fact that it's really referring to the exact same topic conceptually as all those other words.

It just REEKS of hypocrisy; selective anger as I put in the thread title. Typically exuded by those who want to gain attention with their outrage. Outrage which has not basis in fact or logic. And that makes it VERY hard to understand what we can or cannot say, now or in the future.

“No basis in FACT or LOGIC”…

Yes. Indeed.

I admit I have used the term not pointed at anyone directly but in terms aimed at a object or action but now in retrospective it’s wrong and come to terms with it and have taken out of my vocabulary I suggest the same to you.

What gets locked, modified or deleted is in keeping with our directives from above. The rules are set by the owner.
We enforce those rules. We have input into what we believe should be allowed and ruled out; it is a team effort.

As much as some folks complain about the aggressive nature of Moderation here, we also get lots of compliments about how the site is run from others. Further we have a standard to uphold in regard to some professional business concerns.

This thread is not the place to complain about over-moderation. You should take that up with the staff administrator.

This thread is about selective anger based in emotional rage, and hypocritical choice of words. That's all; nothing more and nothing less.

That’s not always true (the first part). You guys are apt to lock a thread based on expected or perceived responses and have in the past locked threads rather than deleting offending posts and punishing the offenders.

This is an OT post in an OT thread, so to say that I can’t post about a moderator starting a tactless thread is pretty relevant, I think. If it’s not, then my point has pretty much been made about whether this thread should be locked based on such a silly post.

Finally, the selective anger you rail against seems to be a theme in this thread, ironically…People getting upset over a relative nothing of an issue.

I agree with your assessment.

I am open to change. What I'm not open to is hypocrisy.
Being offended by the word retarded, but not moron or imbecile, is illogical and hypocritical.

None of those words have been used clinically in decades. And most of them are still in use today; acceptably so depending on the intent and context of the situation. But not the R word; that's just heresy. For no good reason other than selective anger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back