The hypocrisy of selective anger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Because I'm a Mod? I'm just as accountable to the rules as others.
Yes, because you're not actually subject to the same rules. Specifically, we cannot "ignore" your posts as we can with others. I would argue that means you (mods) need to hold yourself to a higher standard than ordinary members. IMHO your initial post would be classed as an "inflammatory" topic by an ordinary member and locked or deleted.

What makes "retarded" objectionable, but not "moronic" or "idiotic"? Seriously; explain it to me.
Since the latter two are slots on the IQ spectrum it's something that could, in theory, be changed or worked around with work. IOW a moron or idiot could still live a fulfilling life within the box that is his set of capabilities. The former is typically used around an extra chromosome which is a tragedy... even if you see someone living a "fulfilling" life bagging groceries or whatever I don't know anyone who would want to live in their shoes or those of their caregivers.

As for "the word", I imagine it was borne of kindness, a synonym for "slow", with the faintest hope that a child born "that way" will eventually reach maturity and the ability for self-care. It then grew a new meaning, as many words do, in the power of those who tease people "under" them.

Yes, because you're not actually subject to the same rules. Specifically, we cannot "ignore" your posts as we can with others. I would argue that means you (mods) need to hold yourself to a higher standard than ordinary members. IMHO your initial post would be classed as an "inflammatory" topic by an ordinary member and locked or deleted.
Again - is this topic specifically taboo by our rules? No.
Did I violate our standard of conduct? No.
Are the words which we discuss profane? No.
So what rule violation would you "charge" me with here? Because "I don't like what you say" isn't a valid complaint, and if it were, BITOG would not exist for long at all.

There is no edict or mantra that says Mods cannot participate in threads, or start threads.

This topic may be controversial, but it's not against the rules.

If you don't want to read what I write, then by all means, just don't open the thread.

There are exceptionally few words I find offensive and will not use.

I have made that choice many, many years ago.

People can choose to be offended or not be.

If they choose to be offended… That may or may not be a right choice.

We all make choices… I do. You do.

Do you think it’s great to give another person authority or power over you ?

I know I have been extremely guilty of that. And still struggle over this to this day over that.

But it is a choice. Good, bad or indifferent.

Again - is this topic specifically taboo by our rules? No.
Did I violate our standard of conduct? No.
Are the words which we discuss profane? No.
So what rule violation would you "charge" me with here? Because "I don't like what you say" isn't a valid complaint, and if it were, BITOG would not exist for long at all.

There is no edict or mantra that says Mods cannot participate in threads, or start threads.

This topic may be controversial, but it's not against the rules.

If you don't want to read what I write, then by all means, just don't open the thread.
Most people probably picking themselves off the floor after reading that.
WOW is all I have to say.

I see other's point of view on this post. I actually appreciate @dnewton3 for posting it even if I do not 100% agree with his view. In my life I have learned that my "innocent" actions may be offensive to others. I have used terms far worse, especially when not in my right mind.

Was she right to speak up? I don't think so, but I don't walk her path. Was dnewton3 right in replying, probably just standing up for himself? I see it multiple ways.

I see comments here like "Commiefornia", "fascist california", etc. quite often. People are offensive and apparently feel justified or don't consider their choice of words offensive. Personally I find it childish.

Once I was giving a talk to corporate leaders from around the world; a lotta big paychecks in this conference room. This was a discussion of statistical forecasting used to drive our company. I used the name, "Fort Knox"; someone in the back raised his arm and asked in broken English, "Why and what is Fort Knox?" I stupidly shook my head, kinda laughed and said, "Everyone knows what Fort Knox is, it's the US gold reserve in Kentucky!" The exec next to me whispered in my ear, "He's not from here; he does not know." I put my head down in shame and apologized. I was disrespectful and wrong.

We have a lotta egos around here; not saying dnewton3 is one. Sometimes, IMO, it is better to be the bigger man; surrender to win. I just might learn something.

I don't like the trend to describe everything instead of using the proper word. The word is DOCTOR, not health care provider, and WOMAN, not,,, (insert absurd physical description) well you get the idea.

As one who has extensively traveled the flat earth's globe (a little joke) , I make so many verbal mistakes when overseas, and it is difficult to talk using the proper and specific words. I once used the term "daisy chain" to describe electronics wired in series, and the look of confusion was legendary. It did not take me long to understand that my "colloquial language" is not understood outside of my local area.

Let's leave it on a lighter note"

Moe of the Three Stooges said the following insults in just a few films. Others could be added,,,,,
Worm
Stupid Idiot
Petty Larceny Stooge
Picklebrain
Mongoose
Dumb Cluck
Tub O' Lard
Baby Hippopotamus
Mental Midget
Mophead
Mophead
Tadpole
Squashbrain
Sawdusthead
Ignoramous
Baboon
Chowderhead
Termite
Half-wit
Half-Brother to a Weasel
Jughead
Flatbush Flathead
Porcupine
Ironhead
Chiseler
Chowderhead
Laughing Hyena
Goosebrain
Overstuffed Bologna
Nitwit
Petty Larceny Stooge
Clumsy Idiot
Onionhead
Dimwit

Feel free to borrow.

I can see this thread/topic being used as a case study for employee relations...

While the OP may be technically right in splitting hairs over the definition, the refusal to understand how the usage of the term may be offensive to others and in fact get worked up over the fact someone may take offense is in and by itself telling.

My life experience and point of view is not the only one out there, and neither is the OP's. Acknowledging that goes a long ways sometimes...

Apparently the word “race” is also an “our word” situation. I use the word race once or twice a year max normally but otherwise never thought about the following until…
I need a "safe space" after reading this thread. Can't we all just hug it out?
that also is apparently triggering as women claim that strange elderly and hipster men they don’t know well constantly want a hug which is traumatic to them.
Recieving a friend request on Facebook from a stranger also terrifies them for months.

What started the above was
My brief throw away reference at the end of a 3 paragraph post
About living in a strange part of the country where nobody hugs
Being settled with mostly Hmong and Germanic peoples including Mennonite and Amish
Which then begat the
“Race” is our word discussion as I made the mistake of using race instead of culture to describe Hmong and Germans.

Said individual was very very upset, I was at the library and took a photo of a nearby reference book, oops I had to clarify with the individual that just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I’m an enemy.

I was recalling my SJW Chicano History teacher’s conversation with me when I noticed a fellow classmate used the wrong terminology in our daily round table discussion of structural racism
Me. But .. (cutoff)
Teacher Ryan don’t you understand what he meant
Me. But .. (cutoff)
Teacher , you really couldn’t understand the point he was trying to convey
Me. Yes
Teacher . Than shut up the idea is more important than the words.

Why? Because I'm a Mod? I'm just as accountable to the rules as others.
I’ve been told the r-word is hate speech
I also tend to ignore over sensitive people

IMG_4500.jpeg

Last edited:
I can see this thread/topic being used as a case study for employee relations...

While the OP may be technically right in splitting hairs over the definition, the refusal to understand how the usage of the term may be offensive to others and in fact get worked up over the fact someone may take offense is in and by itself telling.

My life experience and point of view is not the only one out there, and neither is the OP's. Acknowledging that goes a long ways sometimes...

Funny you mention… employee relations…

I had a co worker Jennifer who had a child who was a special needs child. And yes… I used the word retarded around her not often though at times I did . We had a conversation about that and I clearly and reasonably explained to her time, place, intent and context.

We never had a problem at all after that.

We stayed in touch for a number of years after I left the hospital. I even made her family a smoked spiral ham off my grill for Easter.

One-word labels applied to people very readily become slurs. That is often by design. It is preferable to describe the person's condition in accurate plain language.

I was having a conversation with someone recently and was told I was being rude and insensitive. My lingual crime? I referred to something as "retarded" in the conversation. In fact, when I was confronted, the phrase the young woman said to me was "You shouldn't use the R word", in a condescending tone. What the everloving heck? The "R word"? Geeezzz ... I didn't even call a person retarded; I was implying that a specific process was illogical and not founded in facts. But nonetheless, I was chastised. I said "Well, how can I refer to this so that it doesn't offend you?" (in a half-serious, half-patronizing manner). I was then told by the (self-righteous) person that I should have chosen a different word; something like "idiotic or mornonic".

HA! Obviously this person doesn't understand the basic history of terms like moron, idiot, imbecil, etc. These are all ranking terms used clinically in categorizing people with low IQ. Hence, "retarded" would be a general classification, whereas "idiot" would be a specific sub-classification. (Kind of like red is a color, but not all colors are red; red being a subclass of the color spectrum). I took the opportunity to point this out to her; she even looked up the origin of the words on her phone, and then began a side-step excuse about "Words can be violent ..."
Blah Blah Blah ... She was caught in her own hypocrisy, and I enjoyed every second of it. Still, she actually doubled down and said "retarded" is offensive but referring to something as stupid, idiotic or moronic is not. So, it's a bad thing to classify someone, but not a bad thing to subclassify someone?

These terms refer to clinical division of developmental capability:
Idiots: IQ between 0-25
Imbeciles: IQ between 26-50
Moron: IQ between 51-70

Note: "stupid" has an origin of being in a stupor; not necessarily a mental defect condition as much as a physical effect such as a result of being intoxicated, or enduring a blow to the head and becoming dazed, etc, and unless permanent damage is done, one can recover from a stupor.

The selective anger to some things by some folks just befuddles me to no end. It's as if they want to be combative and disagreeable merely to make themselves seem unique and holier-than-thou. Often these kinds of folks exude hypocrisy; typically from their own ignorance of the facts and true nature of topics, words, etc.

So, in summary, it's OK for me to call something "moronic" or "idiotic", but not "the R word".
IMO, the whole topic is retarded ... ;)
Society has become very easy to upset or take things the wrong way. I said the same thing at a previous job and oh one of the servers took it as offensive.

My wife has a cousin with Down Syndrome. I can see the disappointment on his parents face when the word retarded is used to describe some thing because of how it has been used to describe their son.

Back in high school, I listened to a classmate describe (through her own tears) how upset she got when the word retarded was used to describe situation, actions, things pejoratively because of how the word had been used by others to describe her little brother with Down Syndrome. Watching her describe that feeling openly in front of 30 other teenagers and be in tears was enough for me to try to adjust my use of the word.

Meanings of words change over time through use.

Who are you pointing to by this response? Please use the Reply key so we know to whom you are replying or answering.

I know the OP and he exhibits none of those personality traits of which you accuse him.

This is only one of the many hypocritic maladies being inflicted on society today.
Using the reply key would be odd as it’s obvious I was responding to the OP’er.

Having the mod badge has saved this thread from being locked. The OP’er has irrationally stomped all over this thread like a child. If that isn’t obvious then I’m not sure what to tell you.

Using the reply key would be odd as it’s obvious I was responding to the OP’er.

Having the mod badge has saved this thread from being locked. The OP’er has irrationally stomped all over this thread like a child. If that isn’t obvious then I’m not sure what to tell you.
No, it is not obvious as there are many respondents in this thread.

Using the Reply option brings a modicum of clarity.

Please, someone point to the BITOG rule I've violated. Show me in the Standard of Conduct where we cannot talk about this topic.

This one:
Trolling, baiting, doxing, spoofing, swatting, etc ...
Disruptive conduct means to incite conflict or data-mine for nefarious purposes. The definition of and response to disruptive conduct are the sole discretion of Staff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(slang)
a troll is a person who posts or makes inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages online or in real life, with the intent of provoking others into displaying emotional responses

The post was a troll post and it was a disruptive post, both of which are not allowed by the BITOG Code of Conduct. You took an inflammatory topic, use of the word "retard", and attempted to defend it's use. Then, through the course of 70+ posts, you engaged heavily with every person who sought to challenge your defense of the word, indicating that they're being irrational at your use of a "clinical" definition. 10% of the posts in this thread are you responding.

In nearly every form of online discourse, this would have been quickly identified and moderated out of existence.

Going back to the BITOG Code on Conduct, the last sentence is the most important:
Trolling, baiting, doxing, spoofing, swatting, etc ...
Disruptive conduct means to incite conflict or data-mine for nefarious purposes. The definition of and response to disruptive conduct are the sole discretion of Staff.

Hypocritically, the person making the post and asking how it violates the Code of Conduct is also the person with whom the discretion lies on determining whether it violates the Code of Conduct.

This whole thread furthers the point that...
Anyone else and this would be locked in minutes.
... is absolutely true.

Being offended is often a one way street - today I made my annual pledge to a well known charity - and I give a substantial amount …
Well, four times I selected “prefer to remain private” starting with gender. Many choices - half new to me - but no male or female …

This one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(slang)

The post was a troll post and it was a disruptive post, both of which are not allowed by the BITOG Code of Conduct. You took an inflammatory topic, use of the word "retard", and attempted to defend it's use. Then, through the course of 70+ posts, you engaged heavily with every person who sought to challenge your defense of the word, indicating that they're being irrational at your use of a "clinical" definition. 10% of the posts in this thread are you responding.

In nearly every form of online discourse, this would have been quickly identified and moderated out of existence.

Going back to the BITOG Code on Conduct, the last sentence is the most important:

Hypocritically, the person making the post and asking how it violates the Code of Conduct is also the person with whom the discretion lies on determining whether it violates the Code of Conduct.

This whole thread furthers the point that...

... is absolutely true.
Couldn’t agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back