Lions, and tigers, and death threats OH MY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll attempt to keep this short and to the point, including only as much background info as necessary.

The backstory:
My fiancee left me in March after I found out that she had cheated on me. She moved out citing that she "just needed a couple of months alone and not in any relationship to figure out what she wanted in life". I guess she misspoke and must have ment a couple of weeks since 2 weeks after moving into an apartment she got hooked up with a recently divorced (actually was still married at the time with the divorce proceedings in their final few steps) 28 y.o. with 3 kids who he has custody of.

I predicted that by August she would have moved in with him since her student loans would be coming due and her job wouldn't allow her to handle all of her bills on top of her student loans. I was right she moved in with him the 2nd week of Aug. (To clarify, this is not the same guy she cheated on me with, he was simply one of the other predators waiting in the wings to snatch her up when the opportunity arrose).

It wasn't a messy breakup and things went pretty cordial but I am still ****** at her for how she ended everything, taking the easy way out of "I cheated, I should leave" despite the fact I was willing to work things out with her.

She addmitted to being an idiot and letting this first guy (whom she knew from back in junior high) weasel his way into her pants... To which I replied "And you're not being an idiot now hooking up with this 28 y.o. with a truckload of baggage? If I had some good looking woman 4 years my junior who was willing to hop in the sack with me (which she initiated not him) after just getting out of a messy 8 year marriage I'd be spouting all kinds of b.s. just to keep her around."

On a side note, I'm still good friends with her sister (who is 40). I've always been close to her sister and keep in touch with her still (calling about once a month) to see how her husband, who has MS and is now in a nursing home, is holding out.

Half of her family has practially disowned her and the rest of them think she's an idiot.

Her sister told me that she had brought down the first guy to meet her family (the one she was cheating on me with for a month behind my back) about 3 weeks before she told me she was moving out or gave me any clue something was amiss. He sis and mother were ****** about that telling her "You've got some nerve bringing this guy down here and you haven't even told Scott that you're considering leaving him."

I'm still welcome for family gatherings and holidays with the ex's family and was invited to come down for Christmas... Interestingly enough the ex is not invited.

Cut to last night and today:
I was out with Nate, one of my buddies from work, last night and the 2nd bar we went into... walked in the door and there she was with her sister setting at the first table. Then her boyfriend came up to the table with drinks for the 3 of them.

Nate and I looked at eachother. My ex said, "Wow, you look great. You certainly look like you've lost even more weight." (I was 210lbs when she left I'm now down to 202lbs and lost a lot of it in my face and through what once was my beer belly). Nate and I again looked at eachother. And I said "Well I think we're going to leave." Which we did.

About 10 minutes later from another bar, I called her cell phone and apologized to her and asked her to apologize to her sister and boyfriend for our quick and seemingly rude departure. I told her that I just thought it best that I be an adult and remove myself from what could potentially exposive situation. She replied "That's too bad, we were going to ask you guys to set down and have a beer with us.", to which I replied, "I don't think that would have been a good idea. I mean what am I going to say to your boyfriend... Hey so how are you liking what I once had. Everything working out okay for you there."

Later in the evening I sent a text message apologizing for if I ruined their evening by happening into the same bar as they were in and simply stated that my evening after that was pretty much a downer.

I checked my messages at 1pm today as I was getting ready for work and there was a message from her boyfriend at 5:30am threatening to put me into the hospital if I ever had any contact with her again... telling me that she is sick of my nonsense and wants nothing to do with me. I'd transcribe it but, its littered with profanity.

This is despite the fact that she typically calls me about once every 6 weeks just to say hi and see how I'm doing and the only times I've called her in the past 3 months were to tell "Hey your car registration ended up at my place I'll leave it in the garage for you to pick up." Or "Hey this bill for you came here, its in the garage. Come pick it up."

So I called the cops and filed a police report. No charges filed, just a complaint on record so that if he pulls this again I can nail him to the wall... since his threats constitute assault under Iowa law and include an increased penalty to a aggrivated misdemeanor because of my profession (correctional officer).

I then called in sick to work today explaining the whole situation and that I was still upset and very angry and that "I didn't want to come in to work and end up doing something stupid." My Captain was very understanding and has even suggested me taking some stress leave.

I might, but probably won't. I'm just a bit angry right now. For about an hour after I finished with the police report my hands were still trembling because of the adrenaline and anger in my system.

You don't threaten me with severe bodily harm/death and not suffer any legal reprocussions. I've recorded the answering machine message onto my cell phone and transfered it over to my computer where I cleaned up the background noise with an audio editor so that its crystal clear what he is saying and then burned it to CD.

Next step... file restraining order this coming Tuesday against both of them.

Step after that... wait for him to violate it, because it seems like the type that will. In fact I wouldn't doubt that the being served with the restraining order itself is enough to set him over the edge to come after me. Which if it happens, hey more power to him. I won't mind seeing him serve some prison time (remember the enhanced penalties factor).

So anything you guys would suggest I do besides what I've already outlined? Anything that I've done that's "crossed the line" enough to warrant his death threats to me?

You said your "Captain"..are you in the military or are you a cop or what. Just curious.

Well..I think you did the right thing. This guy is a nut case and so is your EX (or mabe she is gullible/Nie've). My daughter is going through the same thing except that she left her husband. And he is as nutty as your EX's boyfriend. Anyway..the reason I think you were right in filing is that she or he might have considered filing the same type of report.

Obviously you will really need to watch your back in the future. You should avoid any bar in the are like the plague..that's #1. #2 is that you should avboid every bare in the area. #3....etc.

If this guy is like my daughters EX he will spend every waking hour trying to get back at you. Hopefully though he (like my daughter's ex) will like himself too much to cross the line. I believe his employer will find out this information.

Good luck jto you.
cheers.gif

Now bow down and thank your lucky stars that she is gone.

Are you actually afraid of the guy? If you really think he means to hurt you, you must be aware that a piece of paper will not keep him from trying to see that some harm comes to you. Restraining orders don't stop those from whom one really needs to be protected. If you really think he's going to come after you, be ready. Otherwise, leave it alone and move on. Let him think he's a Big Man by threatening you, so what? Serving him or her with this or that is only going to inflame the situation. Don't let yourself get drawn into a Jerry Springer moment.

Stay faaaaaaaaaar away. Despite the good steps you have already taken, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to the games the ex and boyfriend are playing. She left you, so time for her to experience some tough love so she can realize the extent of her loss.

Good luck and don't be afraid to rely on friends. Your chief sounds like a great guy.

I should just keep my big yap shut. If someone threatens you with bodily harm, report them to the authorities, and then stay armed with something you can use with extreme prejudice in extreme adrenaline situations.

quote:

Half of her family has practially disowned her and the rest of them think she's an idiot.

These are smart people. You need to join them immediately.

Stay away from her and her "boyfriend". You did the right thing by leaving the bar but you did two dumb things by contacting her to apologize (dude, what was THAT about? NEVER be apologetic to a woman who threw you under the bus along with the other guys she's done it to.)

There is no positive outcome by maintaining contact with her. She is not coming back to you.

I like the idea of taking some time off. Maybe get some professional help to sort out your feeings about her. Coping skills, and all that. I'm sure the job has plenty of services you can take advantage of.

I'm feelin' ya, man. I've been in a somewhat similar situation and I know the "shaking with anger" thing. But you've got to get past it, especially in your line of work. Good luck.

Yea, cease all contact and get her mail forwareded somehere other then your place. And stop being polite to her! She sounds like a real %$#@!

honestly, sorry if you take offense at this, but women like this are idiots...

I had one girl, who was a GF of sorts, no way serious, but she led me around, friendly, then unfriendly, friends being real nice, then being real jerks, etc.

I found the best option is to cut off all ties, avoid her at all costs, dont take calls, and let bad luck fall into her lap on its own.

Its not worth it to deal with this sort of people.

However, people like this guy are double worthnot dealing with - you did right with the steps youve taken. Avoid him/her, but if he comes close, throw the book at him.

Good luck!

JMH

Thanks guys for the advice and support. I tried to keep the initial post as short as possible, but included some background to paint a clearer picture.

(BTW if anyone wants to hear the audio of him threatening me I'd be happy to email it to them its only 458k in MP3 format and its just hilarious listening to him. All names save for mine are edited out of the audio with a BEEP tone... and its perfectly legal since A)identifying info has been removed B)he left the message on a recording device of his own free will.)

Now on to address your posts.

quote:

You said your "Captain"..are you in the military or are you a cop or what. Just curious.

Well..I think you did the right thing. This guy is a nut case and so is your EX (or mabe she is gullible/Nie've). My daughter is going through the same thing except that she left her husband. And he is as nutty as your EX's boyfriend. Anyway..the reason I think you were right in filing is that she or he might have considered filing the same type of report.

Obviously you will really need to watch your back in the future. You should avoid any bar in the are like the plague..that's #1. #2 is that you should avboid every bare in the area. #3....etc.

If this guy is like my daughters EX he will spend every waking hour trying to get back at you. Hopefully though he (like my daughter's ex) will like himself too much to cross the line. I believe his employer will find out this information.

Good luck jto you. [Cheers!]

Now bow down and thank your lucky stars that she is gone.

I'm in corrections. And because of that, in this state the crime he committed against me carries an enhanced penalty because of my profession.

I'm not going to be avoiding bars just because of this idiot. I'm not going to let him dictate my actions... hence the reason for the restraining order. I will dictate his (and her) actions.

I hope he does spend every waking moment thinking of a way to get back at me. Let it consume him. Its not bothering me one iota except the initial shock and anger. What exactly he wants to "get back at me" for I don't know. Its not like I've been sleeping with her behind his back or something. And yes, I'm sure his employer will definitely find out about this since that is most likely where the process server will serve him with the restraining order.

quote:

Are you actually afraid of the guy? If you really think he means to hurt you, you must be aware that a piece of paper will not keep him from trying to see that some harm comes to you. Restraining orders don't stop those from whom one really needs to be protected. If you really think he's going to come after you, be ready. Otherwise, leave it alone and move on. Let him think he's a Big Man by threatening you, so what? Serving him or her with this or that is only going to inflame the situation. Don't let yourself get drawn into a Jerry Springer moment.

No I'm not actually afraid of him. He's about my size (slightly bigger) and with my professional training (i.e. hand to hand combat, restraining holds, and pressure points) and the .357 I keep loaded under my bed I'm not concerned. That and the fact that the cops in this town don't take too kindly to anyone in a law enforcement related field being messed with... well.

As for having them both served with the order and it inflaming the situation. I really don't care. In fact I kind of hope it does and then he starts the downward spiral into taking stupid actions dragging her along with him.

quote:

Stay faaaaaaaaaar away. Despite the good steps you have already taken, you are leaving yourself vulnerable to the games the ex and boyfriend are playing. She left you, so time for her to experience some tough love so she can realize the extent of her loss.

I don't play games, and I don't f- around either. I deal with things head on in an agressive (but legal) manner.

And yes my captain (female) is great.

quote:

These are smart people. You need to join them immediately.

Stay away from her and her "boyfriend". You did the right thing by leaving the bar but you did two dumb things by contacting her to apologize (dude, what was THAT about? NEVER be apologetic to a woman who threw you under the bus along with the other guys she's done it to.)

There is no positive outcome by maintaining contact with her. She is not coming back to you.

I like the idea of taking some time off. Maybe get some professional help to sort out your feeings about her. Coping skills, and all that. I'm sure the job has plenty of services you can take advantage of.

I'm feelin' ya, man. I've been in a somewhat similar situation and I know the "shaking with anger" thing. But you've got to get past it, especially in your line of work. Good luck.

Yes I know the phone call and text message was probably a stupid idea, but hey I'm trying to behave like an adult about this whole ordeal.

quote:

However, people like this guy are double worthnot dealing with - you did right with the steps youve taken. Avoid him/her, but if he comes close, throw the book at him.

Oh he's worth dealing with in a legal manner. Plans are already in the works. By the time I get done with him he'll be begging for the Preparation-H to soothe his aching behind.

You have already exerted too much effort in this situation.

Your ex-girlfriend has made her intentions known by her actions. You are being foolish for maintaining contact with her and nothing good can come from it.

I know that it is very difficult to deal with a broken heart but rarely does it do any party involved any good to remain in the situation until it becomes unmanageable.

This is a situation where you have to exercise discipline and simply walk away. Never look back, never hold a grudge, and never take aggressive actions while you're mentally unstable. Remove her from your life and it will not matter if she's in a bar that you choose to visit or if you pass her at the grocery store. She is just another face that you once knew and you need to accept it as such.

My sympathys go out to you. I know what you are feeling but you can't let it erode your happiness.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
You have already exerted too much effort in this situation.

Your ex-girlfriend has made her intentions known by her actions. You are being foolish for maintaining contact with her and nothing good can come from it.

I know that it is very difficult to deal with a broken heart but rarely does it do any party involved any good to remain in the situation until it becomes unmanageable.

This is a situation where you have to exercise discipline and simply walk away. Never look back, never hold a grudge, and never take aggressive actions while you're mentally unstable. Remove her from your life and it will not matter if she's in a bar that you choose to visit or if you pass her at the grocery store. She is just another face that you once knew and you need to accept it as such.

My sympathys go out to you. I know what you are feeling but you can't let it erode your happiness.

Yes..I think you should consider this advice. Its obvious you want to punish both of them (with good reason-not blaming you). But consider this: She has already flushed herself down the crapper and is on her way to the sewer plant. Her life with this guy will likely not be good. You have filed the protective order.

And consider that if you do destroy this guy..his children will suffer and society will be raising 3 more kids.

One other thing..she could go around and file a protective order herself which could be a big headache for you. You would be prohibited from carrying a firearm in conjunction with your job and possibly could get your carry permit pulled (not totally about this part though).

Summary: Move on dude.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
Remove her from your life and it will not matter if she's in a bar that you choose to visit or if you pass her at the grocery store. She is just another face that you once knew and you need to accept it as such.

Oh I didn't leave the bar, because she was there. I left because he was there with her. Had it just been her and her sister I would have simply said hi, and my friend and I would have gone about our own business. I left because he was there and didn't feel like having to deal with him starting any thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

And consider that if you do destroy this guy..his children will suffer and society will be raising 3 more kids.

One other thing..she could go around and file a protective order herself which could be a big headache for you. You would be prohibited from carrying a firearm in conjunction with your job and possibly could get your carry permit pulled (not totally about this part though).

Summary: Move on dude.
smile.gif

I moved on several months ago. I'm seeing a wonderful woman who lives about an hour away from me.

As for the kids part... his ex will take them back.

And as for the weapons on the job, any protective order she files against me would have no effect on that. It would be a different story if I didn't work for the state DOC, but its the same as if someone files a restraining order against a cop around here. They aren't going to strip him of his gun just because someone decided to file a protective order.

The protective order would work both ways anyway. It would also make it illegal for me to contact either of them and I would have to remove myself from any establishment they were in if they were there first. I'm fine with that.

Edit: I'm simply getting the restraining order to cover my own butt as far as my job goes... and was advised to do so by our investigative captain who is the one that handles matters like this. He told me that the restraining order is the best route to go so that there is something on record (besides the police report) in case the guy does ever attempt anything and I end up having to defend myself. I'm practicing CYA as far as my job is concerned.

Dude, let it/her go...every guy goes through this crap with a female atleast once in his life. If youre mature about it maybe you can come to some kind of agreement with her that certain places you frequent are off limits and vise verse, sure you couldnt comprimse, but then again you might have to deal with another awkward situation, but then again maybe you like it. And whats with chattin it up with her family...its her family, and chances are they are just playing you as well finding out what your upto next...I mean look at her sister, sitting right next to her at the bar.

You did the right thing by leaving the bar, but then after that your judgement was waaaay off...I mean why appologize for the akward situation, it was her fault for being a tramp in the first place...dude cut all ties with her, never call her again, consider her dead...she is only feeding off of your emotions, reactions,and weaknesses. This makes her feel powerful, beautiful, desireable and her ability to swing branch to branch re-enforces this...youve put too much time, energy and effort into this tramp...focus all of that on yourself and doing things that make you happy. And taking time off of work is the worst thing for you right now...get a second job, a busy job, occupy your mind with something else...an idle mind is the devils playground and youve done alot of plotting an scheming yourself, who cares what the enemy is upto...she no longer exists! You can never-ever go back, so dont try..when she wasnt for working on the relationship, she said it was over and thats it! Besides, did you try and sleep in the same bed with her after the fact...if so you certainly spent a sleepless night starring at the back of her head wanting to punch a hole through it or worse.

Dont waste anymore time on this broad(or her family), not one more minute, she isnt worth it...when mail comes for her, dont call her, leave it in the box and let the mailman do his job. A restraining order is a duel edge sword and I dont care what you say, youre not covering your own A', your just being antagonistic and trying for once to have the upper hand in this relationship...let it go, forgive her for she doesnt know the tramp that she is...and if her parents really didnt invite her to family events after your break up then just look where she came from for Pete's sake...this is not family values(unconditional love) that have been taught.

I can understand your pain, like I said all men go through this atleast once, youre lucky if its only happened once...youll see though, it happens to everyone, just be glad you didnt marry her and find out 7 years and 2 children later, then youd hve to see her for visitation! And that would really not be cool...especially with her new toothless idiot in-tow trying to tell you bout your kid!

I could go on forever...just get over it, dont tell (prospective)women of your troubles, ditch the restraining order, occupy your time in a constructive way...and above all better yourself and make yourself presentable and available to new oppritunities...if you dwell on the past youll never find the one that you were meant to be with...

quote:

A restraining order is a duel edge sword and I dont care what you say, youre not covering your own A', your just being antagonistic and trying for once to have the upper hand in this relationship...let it go,

Uh, am playing CYA as far as my job is concerned. I've been specifically advised by the investigative captain at my facility (who would be investigating any matters involving an altercation that occurred between myself and him in relation to my employment and whether I'd be fit for duty, need to be suspended until the case is over or terminated) to pursue a restraining order to protect my career within the department.

Well Im just sorry that that is the only point that you clung to from my post...I wish you well brother...if you dont mind, how long were the 2 of yall together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back