Looking to move WW II Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not intended as a political topic. The sacrifices that are made are not political or disputable. The facts are not negotiable as well.

I apologize in advance if this is verboten. ( A little sprinkle there for you, mori)

By PHIL REISMAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original Publication: August 31, 2006)

Pfc. Randell Dobbs was killed in action in the Philippines four days after Thanksgiving in 1944. Dobbs came from my hometown.

He also came from an earlier and different generation.

But he played on the same streets I played on. He swam in the Long Island Sound where I swam. It's possible he sat in some of the same classrooms I later sat in — and maybe he was as bored as I was most of the time.

In a small yet meaningful way, Dobbs represents the continuity of life. His kid sister, Kit Ritz, was the mother of two boys who lived on my block and were a few years behind me in school.

During the post-war years, Edgewood Avenue was a crazy, action-packed neighborhood overrun by unscheduled children and unleashed dogs, a place of familiarity and promise that included prim starter homes, a few old farmhouses and, for value-added excitement, the local police and fire departments. The street embodied the blessing of freedom itself, something worth fighting for.

Randy Dobbs lived across town, on Addison Street in Larchmont. He was a paratrooper, a member of the 11th Airborne Division, which was popularly known as the "Angels."

His name is one of 99 names chiseled in stone at the Richard M. Kemper Park, which was created on land donated to the Mamaroneck school district to honor the town's former public-school students who died during the Second World War.

For six years now, the school board has waged a bureaucratic war of attrition over the park, which consists of little more than half an acre in front of the high school on the Boston Post Road. It wants to do away with it, in effect, by converting the property into some sort of athletic field or parking lot (no one really knows) and moving the monument to some other spot, presumably on school grounds.

The memorial, of course, is not merely the monument by itself but the entire park. This is a concept the school board can't seem to grasp. Despite a great deal of community opposition, it continues to fight the issue in court and in the process has recklessly spent thousands upon thousands of dollars of the taxpayers' money in legal fees.

Let's not mince words about this. The war dead have become an inconvenience, pure and simple. And the power-mad school board appears determined to pay any price to remove the obstruction.

Word of this insanity has reached all the way up to the Catskill Mountain town of Saugerties, N.Y., where Kit Ritz, 78, now lives in retirement. In a long phone conversation, she expressed sorrow and outrage.

"Boy, I'd come down there and talk to them any time you want and tell 'em what it was all about and the feelings we had," she said. "They don't know, I guess. But I'll come down there lickety-split."

Kit, who is a fourth-generation Larchmonter and a Mayflower descendant (Her given name is Priscilla Alden Dobbs), told me that after the attack on Pearl Harbor, her brother tried to enlist at the age of 17, but their father refused to sign the waiver. Their parents were separated at the time.

"Well," Kit continued, "Randy was able to twist my mother's arm and she signed the papers so he could go ahead and enlist."

He badly wanted to be a paratrooper. Kit remembered how he and a buddy would practice landings by jumping onto mattresses from a second floor balcony at their grandmother's house in Saugerties. Randy Dobbs was a fearless kid and loyal to his friends and to his younger sister and brother who looked up to him.

"Randy was very special in my life," Kit said.

Early in 1944, the 11th Airborne was sent to California to await orders. In May, the unit was sent to New Guinea where it trained for five months for a mission to attack the Japanese-occupied Philippines. On Nov. 18, the Angels landed at Leyte Beach.

"I remember he wrote us a letter on Thanksgiving Day and I think that was the last word we heard from him," Kit said. "And then we heard on Dec. 19, 1944, that he was missing in action."

A short while later, a telegram arrived, saying that Randy was dead. Barely 20, he was killed in an ambush Nov. 27.

The following summer, Kit worked as a lifeguard at Larchmont's Manor Beach. Lifeguarding was solely a man's job in those days, but she got the job because of the war and shortage of men.

A man who served with Randy met Kit at the beach one day to give her a firsthand account of how her brother died. According to the man, Randy had been wounded in the legs and couldn't walk.

Under heavy fire, the friend and another soldier tried to drag him to safety. Randy told them to go on without him, that he would be all right.

"Well, of course, he didn't make it," Kit said. "They said he died of a bullet wound in the head. As far as I'm concerned, they (the Japanese) probably went around shooting everybody that was left."

Looking back 61 years, Kit's memory of the soldier's appearance at Manor Beach remains clear like it happened yesterday.

"This was a fellow telling me directly," she said. "He was there. I tell you that was ..." Her voice trailed off for a moment.

"But that was Randy," she said. "That was my big brother. In my eyes he was a very heroic, wonderful young man."

Behind every name on the Kemper monument, there is a story of a young adult whose dreams and aspirations were never realized because his or her life was cut short in the cause of freedom. They were from different backgrounds. Some were wealthy, some were poor. Some came from big, happy families, others from broken homes. Some were the sons of immigrants and some, like Randy Dobbs, could claim lineage to America's first settlers. One was a woman, a Red Cross volunteer.

All were alike in that they paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Their memory is not disposable.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Like tombstones and graveyards, memorials should be untouchable. 'Nuff said.

but they can be moved and have been moved. sorry to say if they want to move it they can. its not liek they are getting rid of the memorial. jsut moving it. its land and let me ask you how amny people visit it really? I bet not much. thats prob what the school is looking at. they can use the land for more productive uses.

School board has lost in court at each turn. They have cost the taxpayers $300k in legal fees at this point in time.

Judges have looked at this with a different eye thus far.

It's a memorial within a park. The entire park land was DONATED for the express intent of having the memorial and only under the condition that it remain a memorial park.

If there were endangered species living in the park, this action would not be considered. The outrage would be deafening.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Let's not mince words about this. The war dead have become an inconvenience, pure and simple. And the power-mad school board appears determined to pay any price to remove the obstruction. .

You are exactly right. And the school system in this country has done such a good job moving our students from 1st to 21st in the world.
rolleyes.gif

Can you provide a link whereby I can donate to fight this stupidity?

Al, to give credit, the columnist (Phil Reisman) in my local newspaper wrote this fine piece. I don't always agree with him, but I can always see his point.

Unfortunately, apathy reigns in this wealthy surbaban county.

I hope I can find additional information. A nation which disowns those who made such tremendous sacrifices hasn't much of a future. IMO.

A nationally syndicated columnist wrote a few years back how he drove around his neighborhood chock-full of very expensive houses and saw nary a USA flag flying on Memorial Day, July 4th, etc.

Then, driving across town to where the "underclass" lived in marginal housing and trailer parks.....THAT'S where he saw the flags flying.

There's a moral in there, folks.

What it is I leave for you to decide based upon your personal frame of reference.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
A he drove around his neighborhood chock-full of very expensive houses and saw nary a USA flag flying on Memorial Day, July 4th, etc.

I'd have to disagree with that based on my area.

Disagree with what the writer observed or declare that your area is different than the one the writer wrote about?

He might have been checking a wealthy California neighborhood. Probably are very few American Flags available to purchase in the People's Republic of California.

This is an update on the atrocity:

Reisman: Tell Mamaroneck school board their field plan is wrong
By PHIL REISMAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original Publication: September 7, 2006)

Let your voice be heard.

If you believe that the Mamaroneck Board of Education is wrong, then say so.

Last I checked, we're still living in a democracy. So exercise your right to free speech by giving the seven members of the board a piece of your mind before they carry out a wayward mission to destroy the Kemper War Memorial.

Here's how you can do it. Write them. Call them. Show up at their next public meeting, which is scheduled for Tuesday at Mamaroneck High School. The meeting starts at 7:30 p.m.

If you can't make it, then phone your thoughts at 914-220-3007. Or, if the line is busy, fire off an e-mail to [email protected]. Don't have a computer? Then write them in your best longhand to Mamaroneck Board of Education, 1000 W. Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck, N.Y. 10543.

You can start the letter this way

Dear Cecilia Absher, Janet Buchbinder, Michael R. Jacobson, Amy Levere, Richard Marsico, Robin Nichinsky and Linnet Tse —

It has come to my attention that the school district recently won a six-year court battle to essentially do away with the Kemper Memorial Park, which was established in 1945 for the purpose of venerating 99 school alumni who were killed in the Second World War.

The property for the memorial was donated by the parents of one of the fallen soldiers. Their agreed-upon wish was that the district would preserve the entire park — meaning the grass, the trees, the benches and the stone monument bearing the names of the dead.

However, some 61 years later, the school district has deemed that the memorial park, as it was conceived and created, exists mainly as an impediment to progress.

I understand you want to put an athletic field in its place, and move the monument to another location on school grounds.

I've heard the arguments in favor of this. No one is buried there. No battles were fought there. Therefore, it's not hallowed ground.

Not hallowed ground? That's extremely hard to accept for some surviving families who for generations have endured the pain of having lost loved ones whose remains were never found or identified. To them, Kemper Park is nothing short of a holy shrine.

Then there's the clairvoyant argument. Building a field for children — that's what the war dead would want. That's an unprovable referendum. No one can truly speak for the dead, but perhaps the best spokesmen for the dead are the men who knew them, the combat veterans who made it back. Ask them how they feel about this kind of "progress."

But the high school needs fields, goes another argument. Maybe so. What school district with limited amounts of land isn't envious of say, Byram Hills, where there are state-of-the-art facilities worthy of a Big Ten college. Still, for six decades, no one in Mamaroneck seriously looked at Kemper Park as the solution to the shortage. For years and years, soccer, cross country and other sports events were held at Harbor Island, a short walk from the high school.

Besides, it's a desperate solution. Kemper Park is slightly bigger than a half-acre and flush against the busy Boston Post Road. Seems like a cramped and possibly dangerous location for a playing field.

Finally, there's the argument that the school district is on solid ground because it's been given judicial approval to plow ahead with its plan.

Just because it's "legal" doesn't make it moral. The district has spent $300,000 on lawyers who were paid to do one thing: find the loophole in a promise. And find it they did.

But is that the message you want to send to the children you are charged with educating? I doubt it. A promise should not be viewed as a mere technicality rendered meaningless by the slickest of the slick. That a promise was broken to undermine the memory of those who fought and died for their country is unconscionable.

Just who do you think put the word "free" in "Mamaroneck Union Free School District" in the first place? It wasn't briefcase-toting lawyers, I can tell you that.

All of this is hard to fathom, especially now, when we're struggling with the harsh realities of another war in which young people are dying.

Is this the way we want to remember them?

It's up to you, the current members of the school board, to live up to an old agreement. Place honor before ego and petty politics. It's your turn to act with charity.

Well, that's the gist of it. You can probably write a better letter from your own heart. But you can cut and paste mine and mail it in, if it's easier. That's OK by me.

People are listening, incidentally.

Late yesterday, I received a copy of a letter that John Faso, the former Assembly minority leader, has already written to the school board.

"Even though you have won the legal battle at this point," the Republican gubernatorial candidate said, "I write to implore you not to dishonor the names of those who have given so much to our country."

Faso is considered a long shot to beat Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, whose office issued a brief supporting the school board's position, but Faso said if he were elected, he would work with the board to find an alternative site for the playing field. Failing that, he would submit legislation to stop them from altering the memorial.

I've also heard from county Legislator Jim Maisano, R-New Rochelle, who, in direct response to the Kemper Park controversy, is proposing a law that "would prohibit the removal, destruction or relocation of war and veteran memorials in Westchester County."

In a memo to County Attorney Charlene Indelicato, Maisano noted the importance of drafting a law that is applicable to the entire county because if it can happen in Mamaroneck, it can happen anywhere.

Of course, any law would likely be too late to save Kemper Park.

That's where you, Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public, come into play.

Give 'em a little ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back