Electrical outlet wrapped in electrical tape

I've seen it as well, not just GFIs. There are some things out there that aren't code but some in the trade think are best practice. I have an electrician friend that insists receptacles should be mounted neutral or ground up in the event something metal falls down and gets wedged between a plug and the receptacle. I tell him he's nuts and it sets him off. 🤣
This started in the early 1990s when I worked for an electrical-supplies wholesaler, and I think some localities might require it. The reason is that a stainless-steel receptacle wall plate could come loose and slide down to contact the two live prongs. Most houses use plastic wall plates, but stainless versions are common in commercial applications.

If the breaker is 15A then all wiring on that circuit has to be a minimum 14 awg. The wiring in the light fixture itself can be sized for its rated load

So everything from the switch to the fixture has to be sized assuming it will use the full 15A. I guess that makes sense if there’s the ability to expand later on. I’ve got an old switch, and it’s rated for 15A, But also a wide voltage range. However, my direct wire LED setup uses a max of maybe 60W. Most tombstones are meant for 18 AWG, which I suppose works for the high voltage, low current output of ballasts. But it should be fine for routing direct AC to the transformer in the LED setup that will use less than 20W steady state.

Perhaps WR receptacles weren't required yet? All of my exterior receptacles are regular duplex outlets with WR covers and they've lasted 40 years so far. They're not GFCI either because there's a GFCI breaker for all of the bathrooms and exterior receptacles. I did have to use a GFCI receptacle when I converted a razor-only outlet though.

I remember when this was added in the mid-90s. I think the biggest issue was that my parents had a tendency to just leave the cover open, where this might have had exposure to sunlight and sometimes rain. The bit of the housing that cracked off was actually inside. It also had what looked like a weather resistant insulator between the Decora style outlet and the weather resistant cover housing.

It’s also kind of interesting that the Decora style outlet pretty much dominates GFCI receptacles these days. It does provide an area for the test and reset buttons and two outlets. I remember seeing earlier GFCI receptacle that used traditional wallplates, but only had one outlet, and the test/reset buttons were in the other space. Like the one in the center.

outlets1.jpg

Here’s something interesting on the history.

This started in the early 1990s when I worked for an electrical-supplies wholesaler, and I think some localities might require it. The reason is that a stainless-steel receptacle wall plate could come loose and slide down to contact the two live prongs. Most houses use plastic wall plates, but stainless versions are common in commercial applications.

Yup, there are cases for both but the whole ground plug up thing is overblown IMO. I only do it in the shop where receptacles are mounted higher and plugs have a tendency to come out. I also mount any horizontal receptacles with neutral side up

Back