What are your inherent biases?

Everyone has them, even scientist's. I try to recognize mine but human nature sometimes overcomes objectivity. As I look back on my posts on this site, I see them over and over. I believe these biases comport with my personal experience or general thought process as what I believe to be true or fair. My judgement certainly doesn't mean it is true for anyone else. I can think of four offhand as they directly rate to products discussed here.
Anti:

FORD
SUBARU
CASTROL
AMSOIL

Pro:

Red Line
Chrysler/Stellantis
Valvoline
RockAuto

This is a short list for subjects only discussed on this site. I won't go into politics, religion or other personal beliefs.

Am I a fair arbiter of these products? No. I recognize my attitude but am forever going to be influenced by my internal justifications.
So if you see me dissing something or jokingly putting something down it is this inherent bias seeping through. My apologies to those that have strong feelings in opposition to my remarks

Anybody else have inherent bias that gets in the way of objectivity? List away!

thicker is better.
engineers know best
rotella gas truck can only be used on a gas truck
0w08/16/20 is water in a bottle.
m1 0w40 for life
synthetics cause leaks
hm is only for old cars
Toyotas dont breakdown
Big three make as reliable vehicles as toyota
top tier is always the best
oil burning can be cured by a fix in a bottle

anti
jeep - after Chrysler bought them.
dodge - they always sell to the lowest common denominator.
chevy/gm - always cheap out - wax frames/ cheaper materials

pro
ford - specifically their hd line
toyota- specifically their smaller pickups and cars

dont have any preferences for thick vs thin. they both have their applications

there is no silver bullet anymore. the world has gotten complicated, there are positives and negatives no matter the subject or process.

Reactions: pbm
Even though I know it won't make one lick of difference in the end, I can't bring myself to leave an oil filter on for two changes.

I also can't bring myself to use a 0W- or 5W-20 in the summer. I know vehicles from pretty much every manufacturer have done millions of miles on 0W- and 5W-20 without premature engine wear, and yet I can't do it.

It's good you (@sloinker) limited the scope of this discussion; I was poised to jump in with blather about post-modernism, etc. 😂

well I'm totally in love with most Japanese cars. I think products like Redline oil in the very few that can stand next to it are better than what you can find at Walmart. I like the work ethic better of people in the south and I don't have much appreciation for unions. some people disagree with what I think as do I with them but I think as long as we can be reasonably civil about it I think everyone should be allotted their own thought. everybody's entitled to their own opinions but not their own facts. I think that there are some additives that do work. I'm comfortable with anything from Redline oil as well as a few other companies.

I got sidetracked and my biggest distaste is probably for anything seafoam, marvel mystery Oil, and the majority of the Lucas Oil products except for their fuel lubricant as well as their multi parts cleaner that has pea in it. I'm not a big fan of the orange bottle of new finish. I really liked the new Pennzoil Ultra but I do grow tired of them not putting a tamper system on with a seal on their bottles. not much of a fan of Castrol or the dexos rated Royal purple. I think the only over-the-counter oil I would buy would come from Exxon Mobil.

Reactions: 4WD
Must check bitog before changing oil...
you're getting way ahead of yourself, you have to contact the forum before you even consider thinking about changing your oil. once that is out of the way you will have to log out and then log back in and post a new question on when is it okay to change the oil.

you're getting way ahead of yourself, you have to contact the forum before you even consider thinking about changing your oil. once that is out of the way you will have to log out and then log back in and post a new question on when is it okay to change the oil
1) look at oil cap and see 0w8 and see oe filter.
2) determine its wrong
3) ask bitog about whether short trips and normal activity requires a thicker oil and possibly a bigger filter
4) someone suggests have you tried 0w40 and a bigger filter thats 99 at .00001 micron
5) someone says engineers know best and to use the oil on the cap and oe filter
6) someone points out manuals in aussie say 20w50 is fine.
7) go to store, chicken out and purchase supertech 0w8 and a supertech can while thread is on page 100 of thick vs thin.
8) rinse and repeat

Back