You Can't Change Your Oil Too Much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, a complaint cut and pasted from Overkill's link:

"Have excess oil dilution in 1.5L engine. After 7,500 miles, oil level increased by 1.2 quarts to 4.5 quarts for a 3.3 qt. capacity engine. Afraid oil dilution is changing the oil viscosity and will cause undue wear. Had the Honda product update, doesn't help."

In this instance alone we are looking at a fuel dilution factor of over 36%, (36.363%).
I have a hard time taking complaints seriously when they don’t even know the correct oil capacity for their cars (it’s 3.7 not 3.3)

Found any engine damage yet? Funny how seemingly all modern DI engines have fuel dilution, maybe just maybe oil design and engines are good enough where it doesn’t practically matter. But every parrot with a tinfoil hat here has a hardon for Honda 1.5s 😂

Last edited:
Found any engine damage yet? Funny how seemingly all modern DI engines have fuel dilution, maybe just maybe oil design and engines are good enough where it doesn’t practically matter.
Why you even come to BITOG, seems like you got your owners manual, you trust the engineers and life is good?. What else are you trying to accomplish here? You wanted proof, several people provided references, nothing will be good enough for you.

Why you even come to BITOG, seems like you got your owners manual, you trust the engineers and life is good?. What else are you trying to accomplish here? You wanted proof, several people provided references, nothing will be good enough for you.
There’s plenty to learn here that’s actually fact and is backed up with photos and data, I just have to dig through all of the conspiracies

For example I learned thicker is better. Maybe I’ll try 15w-50 next for ultimate protection

There’s plenty to learn here that’s actually fact and is backed up with photos and data, I just have to dig through all of the conspiracies
Several people provided facts why fuel dilution damages engines and increases wear. You will not likely find a documented case where fuel dilution caused the damage. its often difficult to pinpoint exactly why engine failed without proper oil analysis and inspection. Often these engines just get swapped without being opened. A lot of after market engine rebuilders do not do this level of investigation. If Honda knows about these failures, they will not be making a public announcement for obvious reasons. Even if somebody had an engine failure, you would say “prove its from fuel dilution and not something else”. Like I said before, if you already made up your mind, it’s pointless to argue.

I mean if someone has as was quoted earlier 20% dilution, I assume that number from a UOA? What were the wear metals like? Surely that excess wear on bearings, valve guides, etc would show, right? Seems to me like modern oils can take some fuel and still provide adequate protection, isn’t that the point of engine oil?

There are no publicly available statistics on what percentage of 1.5t engines failed. Honda only has private statistics while these engines under warranty. Once warranty is over, its not likely they will be brought back to the dealer for the rebuild, and 3rd party statistics is non existent. When you hear massive complaints in public, the rate of failure is significantly high. But higher than usual rate of failures is not detectable through social media posts.

The second factor is average engine miles. With average 10-12 per year, not to many people are near 200k.

Absolutely, go right ahead and chuck those tires in the trash; you'll feel so warm and fuzzy inside, you may even poop rainbows that smell like cotton candy.

Once you've operated a fleet of motor vehicles in the Middle East for 25 years, we can grab a beer.
Part 1 Doesn't even make sense. Part 2 What does the Levant have to do with urban American driving? Next.

He's still having a difficult time buying into the fact that smoking and asbestos cause cancer.

He's still having a difficult time buying into the fact that smoking and asbestos cause cancer.
Engineers AND doctors here. What a goldmine of knowledge ❤️

You don’t need statistics from Honda. There’s plenty of videos from techs and amateur mechanics that show for example headgasket failure on the 1.5t engines. Surely if someone’s engine failed from diluted oil or a similar symptom, there would be at least one video or post showing it. The fact you can’t evidence one single case says it all

Last edited:
Found any engine damage yet? Funny how seemingly all modern DI engines have fuel dilution, maybe just maybe oil design and engines are good enough where it doesn’t practically matter. But every parrot with a tinfoil hat here has a hardon for Honda 1.5s 😂
Dude, no engine fuel dilutes like the Honda 1.5, why are you having such a hard time understanding that? Yes, most (not all) DI mills produce some fuel dilution, but the Honda 1.5L is in a league of its own, hence the lawsuits, recalls, stop sale...etc. What engines from other manufacturers are "making oil" to the point they are stalling and the vehicle needs to be towed?

If Honda is extending coverage on the camshafts and rockers as part of the settlements for the fuel dilution class action lawsuits (plural), they've observed sufficient failed camshafts and rockers to include them in the scope. For any reasonable person capable of critical thought, the argument should have stopped there.

It's not a conspiracy, nobody is wearing tinfoil, you are the guy coming off like an unhinged flat-earther ready to lynch the heretics claiming the planet is a sphere because you can't hold it in your hand.

Come on, use some critical thinking skills here, do you think people are just randomly suing Honda and the Chinese government just arbitrarily issuing a stop sale because everything is fine and dandy? Do you think Honda voluntarily settled all these lawsuits out of the goodness of their heart, extended the warranty on specific components noting failure ("possible camshaft and rocker failure", per Honda's communication with the NHTSA), because none of them were failing?

Cleaning out your garage...... "I can find everything I need, so why mess with it?"
Reading bitog while waiting for oil to change.....don't do it.

I was going to pop off this oc real quick, then take it easy the rest of the day.

That is no longer happening after reading the above.....I got guilt tripeed by a dude on a forum....this is some bs

I have a different belief. I believe that oil(lubricants/fuels), engines, emissions, fuel economy, power, quality and on & on, have indeed changed a great deal in the last 50-60 years. It's called progress! ;)
You can definitely be assured that engines are easier on oil now vs then. The move from carburetors to fuel injection alone extended the life of engine oil not to forget that oils are far superior to back then. Engines running at first start with a choke is about as inefficient as it comes. Raw/rich fuel past the rings and into the crankcase was a given.

Sir - you are mistaken.

UOAs (depending on service) may offer info like oxidation, soot, or insolubles. Those are direct parameters indicating how "dirty or overwhelmed the oil is". UOAs can indicate if the oil is lightly or heavily loaded with other contamination such as fuel, coolant, silica as well. UOAs can show us how much base (TBN) is active which can help understand the ability to clean (in the case of Ca and Mg).

I don't know where your viewpoint comes from, but it needs to be adjusted because your statement if flat out wrong.
He is correct on the sludge/varnish part of the comment...UOAs aren't telling you what your engine looks like inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back