What base model 4x4 truck would you buy?

Say you’re someone who needs a truck for occasional farm and off-road use, so it needs to be 4x4. And say you often tow a 1300 pound (total) aluminum boat. And say you very rarely need to tow a 4000 pound tractor, but only for five miles. And you occasionally haul stuff, so a six foot or longer bed would be nice.

If your goal is to get the most frugal new vehicle that could accomplish these without being overly stressed, what brand/model truck would you choose? Either mid or full size is fine. I didn’t say compact because those don’t actually exist anymore.

Let’s say $45k is the absolute maximum spending cap but <$40 would be greatly preferred. Bonus points if you explain your reasons.

Prior to 2024 the XL Supercab Ranger (6ft bed) would have done all that, but they killed off the SCAB and are SuperCrew (5ft bed) only now. Powertrain is plenty capable and with the same 10R80 that's in the F150's the driveline is under-stressed.

I prefer the midsized trucks, easier to get around in and park when you're using them as a family hauler.

Of course, there's always the 2 door Rm Tradesman with the V6 that Legend has it can be found for cheap if you can find one. I browsed through AutoTrader looking for new ones and every time I went to the actual dealer's website, the one I clicked on was nowhere to be found and usually there was something similar, but for much more money.

1698473269981.png

Last edited:
Look for a somewhat new full size regular cab 4x4 with a 6 foot box at a local auction.

Friend of mine was looking for one and found a 5 year old Ex-Canadian Army Ram.

Look for a somewhat new full size regular cab 4x4 with a 6 foot box at a local auction.

Friend of mine was looking for one and found a 5 year old Ex-Canadian Army Ram.
New only. I don’t think there are any auto auctions open to the public anywhere near me.

You can get a new Nissan Frontier 4x4 king or crew cab new for under $45K.

Two things a never thought I would say together like it's some kind of deal. Nissan Frontier and $45k.

My 2022 which I like very much, stickered for ~$37k. I bought it lightly used in Oct 2022 for $33k.

Chevy work truck will do with the 8ft bed 4wd you can get for $45 k out the door with little negotiation I'm thinking. For $1500 more you can get the small block V8 instead of the turbo 4 if the turbo 4 spooks ya. Look for something on a dealers lot for easier negotiating work truck option not in high demand should be able to get a good deal

Last edited:
Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 auto SR trim for 35k. Final year of this gen that came out in '16. SR5 comes with a few more features, alloy wheels, fog lamps for around 38k. Your choice of extended cab or crew cab. Very capable off road. I'm aware of all the negatives posted about them on here and can't disagree with them. But still like this one a lot. Last year to get an NA V6.

Last edited:
Tacoma or Frontier.

I like Toyota as a brand more than Nissan, but the Frontier seems a little more superior to the Tacoma with its 310 hp engine.

Both don’t exactly have what I call good looks though. This guy is 38.5k. A Pro4x is around 39 starting out though. Built this yesterday on Nissans site. A base 4WD I think is around 33k.
IMG_6514.png

Full size Ford XL F-150 or a Chevrolet Silverado base full size truck. With the transmissions in today's trucks the smallest engine will fit your needs. I wouldn't buy the smaller trucks due to price, resale, and lighter weight.

Say you’re someone who needs a truck for occasional farm and off-road use,

If your goal is to get the most frugal new vehicle that could accomplish these without being overly stressed,
Let’s say $45k is the absolute maximum spending cap

Why on earth would you buy a new truck for occasional farm and off-road use? Unless you're rich, any 10 to 20 year old F150, Silverado or Ram for $5-10K would be fine.

What ones hold better resale? I'm kinda dubious about getting to the price point, wondering if one just owns for a few years and flips, if the cost/year comes out "ok".

Back