What base model 4x4 truck would you buy?

You mentioned 4wd and off-roading. When I think off-roading, I'm thinking of 4wd trails I wouldn't want to try and take a fullsize truck on. So I'd say a midsize truck, and from my years working on cars, and having friends who still do, I'd choose the Tacoma.

no one ever saved any money driving a diesel pickup. you are better off with whatever base model 4WD standard cab full sized pickup truck you can find in your price range than those compact models people seem to think are useful for more than getting a bag of fertilizer.
I understand this argument but my position is diesel engines are designed for a heavier duty cycle than their gasoline counterpart. That gasoline engine will not hold up to the diesel load requirements period. That would be a waste of money quickly.

I understand this argument but my position is diesel engines are designed for a heavier duty cycle than their gasoline counterpart. That gasoline engine will not hold up to the diesel load requirements period. That would be a waste of money quickly.
people don't wear out gas engines on heavy duty cycles these days. the entire truck falls apart before a gas engine takes a dump.

say a gas engine lasts 200k miles and a diesel engine lasts 500k miles. but you put them both in a truck that is done at 200k miles. what good did this do you?

on top of it, the repairs on a diesel emissions or fuel system can be similar to the cost of just replacing a gas engine entirely. even assuming your truck stays together for 500k miles, does it matter whether the 15k you spent in repairs was to replace the gas engine or fix the diesel emissions/fuel system over that time?

get a diesel because you wanna tow heavy without getting slowed down on steep grades, because you like having an insane range between fillups, because you like the smell of diesel fuel, because your daddy drove a big rig across the south in the 70's going by the nickname "Snowman" on the CB ... all valid reasons to buy a diesel. But saving money? Nah.

Your payload number will be on the sticker in the door jam, looks like this:

View attachment 186160

You can look further into it by seeing all of the axle ratings that are on the sticker right next to it:

View attachment 186161

If you subtract the Payload from the GVWR on the sticker you will get an idea of what your truck weighed when it rolled off the assembly line.
Here you go.

Attachments

• 20231101_134116.jpg
    20231101_134116.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231101_134144.jpg
    20231101_134144.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 10
people don't wear out gas engines on heavy duty cycles these days. the entire truck falls apart before a gas engine takes a dump.

say a gas engine lasts 200k miles and a diesel engine lasts 500k miles. but you put them both in a truck that is done at 200k miles. what good did this do you?

on top of it, the repairs on a diesel emissions or fuel system can be similar to the cost of just replacing a gas engine entirely. even assuming your truck stays together for 500k miles, does it matter whether the 15k you spent in repairs was to replace the gas engine or fix the diesel emissions/fuel system over that time?

get a diesel because you wanna tow heavy without getting slowed down on steep grades, because you like having an insane range between fillups, because you like the smell of diesel fuel, because your daddy drove a big rig across the south in the 70's going by the nickname "Snowman" on the CB ... all valid reasons to buy a diesel. But saving money? Nah.
Right and there are tons of 6.0 gassers out there with 300,000 miles and over still working with the engine never opened up.

The guy I camp with has an 02 2500HD with just over 210,000 miles. No issues. The other guy has a 2014 Ford 6.2 with 160,000 he has done exhaust manifolds. You get the diesel for two reasons. 1. You routinely tow over 10,000 lbs like at least weekly. or 2. You just want one and there is nothing wrong with just wanting one. Lots of people buy things they just want and I like that. You don't buy because you are saving money.

My kid has one because it is what he wanted, a 2003 LB7. It is on set of injectors number 2, water pump number 2 , a few other odds and ends and all the normal stuff a gas truck needs. Suspension, transfer case leaks, brakes. No different than any gas truck I have owned. Except the water pump was 80 bucks and I never had to do injectors.

I would say cop cars, while not towing heavy loads have a horrible duty cycle. Tons of 12,000 to 18,000 hour Caprices running around on stock internals after living the police life.

But back on topic. I almost completely agree with 02SE except the Toyota is old and people complain about MPG and comfort.
I have driven a few and thought it was fine. It might be fine for you too.

I would look at midsize stuff even though a 1/2 ton would be a better value in your case. You said you need to off road occasionally.

I have to have a 3/4 ton or better due to tongue weight of the trailers I tow. It eats up payload quick. (1800lbs and 980 both scaled) Sounds like You won't need to worry about that. 1/2 ton or below is good for you.

Last edited:
I use my 2018 2.7 4x4xlt SuperCrew to tow a righteous Helicopter dolly on a flat bed trailer, FL to NY and back. About 6500 pounds. The truck has no trouble doing the job. None. Sometimes with the Power Cart in the bed. The idea that this truck is not up to the task, and reliably so, is wrong. I95 or I81, matters not, does fine both up and down the hills.

No disrespect Cujet, your truck and my truck are probably vastly different. I try to be clear when I post that some 2.7's are built to tow in excess of 7k. Mine isn't. The idea that you can hop in any 2.7 crew cab and tow 8 or 9k is wrong. Look at my payload.

I wouldn't make it through the scales.

And people think they can tow 10k with any configuration because of commercials and misinformation.

isuzu 80,s pups with diesel ate transmissions like crazy. couldnt handle the torque mine got 30 mpg city and 50 highway. only sold it as i couldnt find another transmission.

Back