Most Reliable Engine For Late-model F-series Trucks

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I have a couple of friends who are looking to purchase a late-model (used) Ford F-250 or F-350 pickup.

Their use would include running errands which involve carrying home-repair items, large, heavy slabs of wood (he builds furniture as a hobby), pulling a small trailer like a rental U-haul. They already have a 2021 Ranger 4X4, a Tesla SUV, and a Mercedes Sprinter RV.

He'd like a new truck, she says no, a used one would be fine for the intended use. So, if he wants a truck, he's gotta go pre-owned.

What engine has been shown to be the most reliable and trouble-free in F-series trucks over the last ten years or so?

I'd go for the 6.2 gas. New diesels scare me.
Surprisingly, the 2017+ PS's have been extremely reliable. Ford actually did something right again for once. Plus the power on the 2020+? Fuuuuu
475 hp (354 kW; 482 PS)1,050 lb⋅ft (1,424 N⋅m)

As of 2020, the Power Stroke's output was increased to 475 hp at 2600 rpm and 1050 lb-ft at 1600 rpm, becoming the best-in-class diesel in horsepower.

6.2 gasser is solid, biggest issue is exhaust manifolds cracking or the exhaust manifold bolts breaking.

Is he only interested in Ford? All the 3/4 ton and up trucks are pretty solid.

If looking in early 2000's a 5.4l 2v doesn't have a ton of power but is reliable. From what you are describing it isn't going to be a workhorse. The v10's we use at work are not overly potent as well but reliable, we usually get 200-250k hard miles on them.

If looking in early 2000's a 5.4l 2v doesn't have a ton of power but is reliable. From what you are describing it isn't going to be a workhorse. The v10's we use at work are not overly potent as well but reliable, we usually get 200-250k hard miles on them.
My group's work truck from 2002 to 2013 was a 2002 F-350 with the 6.8 l V10. We kept it until around 250K km. (I think it was corporate policy to turn them in at that point.)

No significant problems at all, though it was pretty thirsty. It did about 20 l/100 km on the open road when not towing, and about 30 when towing a flatbed trailer with three ATVs. Crunching this in my head, but about 14 and 9 MPG Imperial, or 11 and 7 MPG US.

Overall, a very good truck!

Reactions: wlk
I have a couple of friends who are looking to purchase a late-model (used) Ford F-250 or F-350 pickup.

Their use would include running errands which involve carrying home-repair items, large, heavy slabs of wood (he builds furniture as a hobby), pulling a small trailer like a rental U-haul. They already have a 2021 Ranger 4X4, a Tesla SUV, and a Mercedes Sprinter RV.

He'd like a new truck, she says no, a used one would be fine for the intended use. So, if he wants a truck, he's gotta go pre-owned.

What engine has been shown to be the most reliable and trouble-free in F-series trucks over the last ten years or so?

Based on the expected use I am not sure why they want a F250 or F350, but it sounds like that part of it has been settled. The Ford 6.2L gas would be my choice for what you have described. Like many large gas engines it will need some exhaust manifold work at some point, but it will give you plenty of warning.

The new diesels seem to do well if worked hard, but I have several friends that have gone back to gasoline engines for non-towing applications due to the amount of problems they had with the diesel emission systems.

I’m surprised the ranger or the sprinter can’t do it. The lower load floor of the sprinter would be better for large heavy wood. Anything can pull small trailers. He doesn’t need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for this. Any 1/2 ton with a full bed should meet his needs.

I’m surprised the ranger or the sprinter can’t do it. The lower load floor of the sprinter would be better for large heavy wood. Anything can pull small trailers. He doesn’t need a 3/4 or 1 ton truck for this. Any 1/2 ton with a full bed should meet his needs.
I was thinking the same thing. That would be a big chunk of wood that you couldn't haul with the Ranger and a suitable trailer.

I certainly wouldn't go with the 6.7L though. Doesn't sound like he'll work it hard enough to get full use out of it and my understanding that if you're going to go with an oil burner, you'd best use it and use it fairly hard or it is going to lead a short life.

I don't think anyone hauls logs or heavy slabs in any pickup? At least with a factory tinfoil bed. A 1 ton flat bed starts to become semi-useful, but long low trailers are way better, as you can drop them to get loaded, or leave a load on for a while until you are ready to mill them. He needs a monster of pickup truck that has more pay load than a trailer the ranger can tow.

The 6.7 is costly.
they’re always updating and things get fixed.

i had a vgt go out with a fully loaded 3 car hauler behind me. shouldn’t be a problem with new ones

if you are not afraid of DOT pulling you over you do not need a 6.7

Last edited:
6.2 gasser is solid, biggest issue is exhaust manifolds cracking or the exhaust manifold bolts breaking.

Is he only interested in Ford? All the 3/4 ton and up trucks are pretty solid.
The exhaust manifolds and studs aren’t just the 6.2. Powerstrokes and tritons crack them and break studs too. Another genius Ford design.

Back