UHaul manager demanding "collateral" for a rental...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad and I are planning to trailer the old '52 Chevy down to Branson, MO for a long weekend. Dad is meeting up with his best friend from high school down there (his friend now lives in Texas). Branson is a nice place to meet, as it is half-way. They haven't seen each other in 15 years, and are both now 80 years old. Basically, it's two old guys wanting to cruise around for a couple of days, in a car that is very similar to the '51 Chevy that Dad drove in high school.

Since my truck has a POS Jasper engine in it, I don't trust it to tow anything for 900 miles. Thanks a pantload, Jasper. You suck.

I reserved a 1/2 ton pickup and a car transport trailer from the local U-Haul center. The pickups are all 2018 Silverado or Sierras, and have under 10,000 miles. The car transport that they have is brand spankin' new.

I get a call from the manager of the UHaul store this afternoon... and he's waffling back and forth on actually honoring the reservation. Why? They only rent pickups and car transport trailers as round trip rentals... no one-way rentals. The UHaul car transports and pickup trucks are assigned to one location. They don't move around. In a way, I already knew this, from when I tried to rent a pickup and trailer, one way out of New York to Illinois... and was told NO.

Come to find out, the last pickup and car transport that he sent out, is now somewhere in Pennsylvania. The nice person that he rented it to, used it as a one-way rental, and then walked away from it. So, he lost control of about $25,000 in equipment that was assigned to him.

So now, he's gun shy about letting anyone take a truck and his brand new car transport trailer out of town. The fact that I'm taking it about 10 miies short of the Arkansas state line has him wanting to cancel the reservation, for the fear that I'm going to screw him over, just like the last rental. It doesn't matter what I tell him, he's fearing the worst.

He asked me if I'd leave my pickup at the UHaul Center, while we're gone. I guess you could say he'd hold it as "collateral" (hostage?), so he'd be sure that I'd come back. I wouldn't have a problem with it, if he wasn't in such a nasty part of town, without a fenced in stockade yard. I told him that would be fine, but he'd have to park it inside his huge building. Well, that doesn't work.. liability

So, we came to an agreement that I'd hand over the title to my pickup, as his "assurance" that I'd come back... and my pickup will stay in my garage I really don't see the benefit for him, but if it makes him feel better, whatever.. If he loses it, or turns into some sort of psycho, I'll just have to pay $90 for a duplicate title from the state, and be done with it.

This has unexpectedly turned into a awkward situation. If I didn't have a junk Jasper engine in my truck, I'd simply use it.. but the way that this engine is shedding lead, I'm not sure it would tolerate pulling 6,000 pounds for 900 miles without some sort of an issue. To pay UHaul $350 for one of their trucks is the easier solution. He was willing to rent the trailer without the truck... just not both a truck and a trailer. But that's not really an option, thanks to Jasper.

But I sure didn't see this "collateral" issue coming up. I understand the situation, but sheesh... I didn't cause the problem, but I'm sure the one being punished for it.

Is there an angle to this that I'm missing? Can he somehow scam me by simply holding my title for four days... in some way that I'm not seeing?

Sounds reasonable to me. These individual locations own the pickup trucks. The moving trucks they don't, and don't care about.

I just moved my dad's tools from Oregon to Phoenix in August. Only needed a trailer and not a moving truck, but they don't rent pickups for 1 way rentals. I'm pretty sure they don't want it leaving the state either.

Go to another U-Haul, maybe Budget rental or such? call U-Haul corporate?
I would seriously take my business somewhere else and tell corporate that.

For his previous "loss", I don't understand why he does not go pick up the truck and trailer if it is his?
For $25,000, you could pay one of you employees a few days pay and an airline ticket to go get it.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
But I sure didn't see this "collateral" issue coming up. I understand the situation, but sheesh... I didn't cause the problem, but I'm sure the one being punished for it.

Is there an angle to this that I'm missing? Can he somehow scam me by simply holding my title for four days... in some way that I'm not seeing?

Hence the phrase, ruin it for everyone else, that's why we can't have nice things, etc.

Happens all the time. I used to be pretty nice, then got taken advantage of, now I just no. I could say yes and risk it again, but basically other people have ruined it. Sometimes I explain why, did it before and got burned so can't do it again.

Don't see any angle to it. Technically if you leave your truck there and it gets vandalized, the one you left it in charge of is responsible for the damages. I'd take pictures of the vehicle, the odometer, hand the guy your keys and say see you in in a few days and you'd be all set if anything happened to it. That's why the dealer pays if the car is damaged while it's in their possession.

Hand the title of my vehicle over to rent a U-Haul?
lol.gif

I've rented a number of one way vehicles including U-Hauls and this was never even suggested, and not an option.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Go to another U-Haul, maybe Budget rental or such? call U-Haul corporate?
I would seriously take my business somewhere else and tell corporate that.

For his previous "loss", I don't understand why he does not go pick up the truck and trailer if it is his?
For $25,000, you could pay one of you employees a few days pay and an airline ticket to go get it.
Also, (personal experience here), U-Haul is the ONLY place you can rent a car trailer from that doesn't require you to rent a truck with it, Budget wouldn't rent me one without a moving truck to pull it with.

Since the guy didn't trust you, I wouldn't trust him by leaving your title.

The owner not following U Haul's traditional rules and making his own makes me wonder if he's in the wrong business. If it's a corporate vs. privately owned thing, then I would look for one that's corporate owned.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
So, we came to an agreement that I'd hand over the title to my pickup, as his "assurance" that I'd come back... and my pickup will stay in my garage I really don't see the benefit for him, but if it makes him feel better, whatever.. If he loses it, or turns into some sort of psycho, I'll just have to pay $90 for a duplicate title from the state, and be done with it.

Dear OP, you are not stupid, but this sure is a stupid idea!!!

A business transaction that requires you to submit your car title is no business transaction that you want to enter into.

Take your business elsewhere.

Generally handing over a title is not a good idea, but honestly today, that concern wanes a bit with technology.

Today, we have hand-held devices that keeps an honest man honest. Criminals will always be criminals; that we cannot change. But this U-Haul guy sounds like he's just trying to protect his assets. And you're trying to get a reasonable deal. I actually believe you two can work it out.

Call him up and agree on the terms of the deal; he holds the title (unsigned; not signed) and you get to go out and back with his truck and trailer. Then walk into the store, and you both turn on your little phones and record the deal real time. Verbally agree to the terms again, show the title unsigned, sign the rental contract, and all is well. You get the transportation you need, and he gets the money from the rental. The "collateral" of title is clearly established, and recorded by both parties.

Should something terrible happen, the first line of defense is insurance coverage. Only if a violation of the contract were to happen would the "collateral" come into play. If this happens, the result would likely be a civil suit, in which case the video goes a LONG way to convincing the judge/jury what was said, and what was intended. The U-Haul dealer isn't in the business to collect used cars; he's selling (renting) a product. He likely would much rather this go as smoothly as possible, just as you would, so you both get what you want. The video recordings of the collateral, above and beyond the rental contract, goes to prove the intent and boundaries of that additional contractual term. Verbal contracts are binding, just as are written ones, but they are often hard to enforce because evidence is scant. But video today makes the verbal contracts much more enforceable. You can be recorded on what the collateral represents and how it would be claimed, if necessary, or returned, as agreed.

Essentially you discuss the terms off camera, and then agree on camera. Any concerns about what was said by either party will be fully documented between the contract form and the video for collateral.

Portable video has really made things much more on the up-n-up for honest folks. It takes the he-said/she-said out of this. When I'm on duty as LEO, the first thing I do when approaching the assigned task is make a very distinct and noticeable action to turn on my body-camera in full view of the people (traffic stop, domestic, etc). When folks here that lens cover snap open, and see my hand come away from the camera, they suddenly are on their best behavior because they know no amount of lying will alter the audio/visual evidence. It quite literally is a game changer; you can truly see people's attitudes change when that camera comes on.

Last edited:
That situation would make me very uneasy to say the least. I agree with what others who said-Call corporate to check for reasonable options or find another U-Haul. Ed

Contact corporate Uhaul and see what policy is for these matters. He does not trust you which is fine however why should you trust ANYONE with your title.

Is there no credit card involved here? A $500 - $1000 hold would take care of the cost of recovering the truck if you bailed out.

Last edited:
Asking for your title is unreasonable. This is a business transaction and he is asking for your personal truck title. I would seek an alternate company. Call U-Haul corporate and ask them? Good luck and safe travels!

Originally Posted by Donald
I would call corporate. I cannot believe its U-Haul policy. An unsigned title is not worth much. You can get a duplicate title from DVM for $5 or $10.

Agree … we only have one U-Haul and they are very flexible and easy to work with … same in the college towns I have done one way rentals to/from … don't think this is necessarily a company problem …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back