Most Reliable Engine For Late-model F-series Trucks

Gas

Diesel

Personally my 6.4 deleted early has been my best SuperDuty out of about 12 of them

The gasoline 6.2 has been the most trouble free

My group's work truck from 2002 to 2013 was a 2002 F-350 with the 6.8 l V10. We kept it until around 250K km. (I think it was corporate policy to turn them in at that point.)

No significant problems at all, though it was pretty thirsty. It did about 20 l/100 km on the open road when not towing, and about 30 when towing a flatbed trailer with three ATVs. Crunching this in my head, but about 14 and 9 MPG Imperial, or 11 and 7 MPG US.

Overall, a very good truck!
Ours are in E450 ambulances and we get on ave 5-8mpg, which for 10k lbs isn't too bad I guess. They are run super hard as we are a 911 service with lots of idle time as well. Our managers try and get at least 250k miles before retiring them. The motors and transmissions have been very solid w a few exceptions. Now we have one diesel ambulance on a F550 chassis that is a nightmare for reliability. Wanna say around a 2014 model w a 6.7l. It sees lots of highway travel and not ran very hard at all but is always at the shop. Very different outcomes. Our last couple of new ones are the 7.3l gas ones, love the way they sounds and have more guts than the v10s, we'll see how they hold up.

Ours are in E450 ambulances and we get on ave 5-8mpg, which for 10k lbs isn't too bad I guess. They are run super hard as we are a 911 service with lots of idle time as well. Our managers try and get at least 250k miles before retiring them. The motors and transmissions have been very solid w a few exceptions. Now we have one diesel ambulance on a F550 chassis that is a nightmare for reliability. Wanna say around a 2014 model w a 6.7l. It sees lots of highway travel and not ran very hard at all but is always at the shop. Very different outcomes. Our last couple of new ones are the 7.3l gas ones, love the way they sounds and have more guts than the v10s, we'll see how they hold up.
Our truck's mileage was abysmal around town, especially in the winter - lots of cold starts, and idling time. Not the truck's fault, but I'm glad I wasn't paying for fuel personally.

Reactions: wlk
Thanks to all who suggested a reliable engine.

The exhaust manifolds and studs aren’t just the 6.2. Powerstrokes and tritons crack them and break studs too. Another genius Ford design.
Broken exhaust manifold studs/bolts have been a problem on all Ford engines going back to the early/mid 90s. Ford isn't the only manufacturer that has been having this problem. IMO this might be an electrolysis problem caused by dissimilar metals. Some manufacturers have circumvented this problem by using short header-style steel exhaust manifolds.

Broken exhaust manifold studs/bolts have been a problem on all Ford engines going back to the early/mid 90s. Ford isn't the only manufacturer that has been having this problem. IMO this might be an electrolysis problem caused by dissimilar metals. Some manufacturers have circumvented this problem by using short header-style steel exhaust manifolds.
I know on my current 6.0 GM they used different fasteners and slotted the manifolds between each exhaust bolt to prevent cracking and the fastener breaking. It has helped with the manifolds, but the fasteners still break from time to time. So when I got my truck I replaced all the fasteners with ARP hardware.

I know on my current 6.0 GM they used different fasteners and slotted the manifolds between each exhaust bolt to prevent cracking and the fastener breaking. It has helped with the manifolds, but the fasteners still break from time to time. So when I got my truck I replaced all the fasteners with ARP hardware.
Come do my '18 for me. /peep

I like the pre-sooooperduty ('98'n below)
4.2 motor was proven for a decade in the 150 by then.
It would notch inda nitche btwn the sprinter and ranger.
Trucks last, under spray it with fluid film
if in the salt areas. We run these trucks 300K w/normal maintence in the NorEast. Dont like
the extra hight of SD, esp w/the bed. Better MPGs, right sized cargo for this guy. 1 opinion.

How many miles on your truck? It is easy peasy, just do one at a time.
103.5k on it. I bought it with 102k on it. Previous owner lived on dirt/white rock roads and hauled bumper pull horse trailers with it. And also apparently did absolutely zero maintenance to it as well lol. 2 of the spark plugs didn't even have electrodes left.

103.5k on it. I bought it with 102k on it. Previous owner lived on dirt/white rock roads and hauled bumper pull horse trailers with it. And also apparently did absolutely zero maintenance to it as well lol. 2 of the spark plugs didn't even have electrodes left.
You could try to swap them now but I wouldn't mess with it.

Their use would include running errands which involve carrying home-repair items, large, heavy slabs of wood (he builds furniture as a hobby), pulling a small trailer like a rental U-haul.
Say no to the diesel. Low EGTs are a good recipe for after-treatment problems. If he gets a diesel, he must understand that when the DPF regen starts, you let it finish. If that means you have to go drive on the highway for 30 minutes, then that's what you do. I don't know if Ford tells you when a regen is running, but I can tell you GM doesn't. You have to learn how to tell when they start and finish buy watching the instant fuel economy, or better get a Bank iDash and set a field for % DFP load and another for regen_on. Diesels are great for pulling heavier trailers, else just say no.

if its the motor I think it is they're tough to get.
Doesnt ford jack the cab for them?
Yes since 2008 the cab bolts are from the bottom up and everything is made to disconnect from the chassis and let the cab be lifted

The previous year 2007 and earlier the bolt heads are in the cab under the carpet and not as "easy " to lift

Back