Excited About Wife's New 4Runner

I agree. Whatever the spec is, the dealer grossly over-tightened it. I replaced with aluminum just to avoid any potential cracks or failures from the abuse, and because aluminum was available for the Tundra engine.

Composite isn’t, in itself, a bad design choice. I put new composite housings on my both of my 2002 Volvos in 2007, when I bought them. Oil change goons had used pump pliers on them and gouged them up.

Those composite filter housings look great over 14 years, and roughly 25 oil changes, later. Torqued to spec with a proper tool, composite housings work great. But they can be damaged by goons with a wrench.
The key with those composite plastic housings is to lube the threads and the o ring, and look carefully at how the o ring makes the seal. On our '17 Wrangler with the Pentastar, the filter cap tightens till there is no gap between the housing and the cap, the o ring is between the sides of the cap and the inside of the housing, it does not have to be compressed like a regular style metal filter to make the seal. Just get it seated and snug, is all. Some people tighten these as if they were a traditional oil filter, but the way they seal is different.

The key with those composite plastic housings is to lube the threads and the o ring, and look carefully at how the o ring makes the seal. On our '17 Wrangler with the Pentastar, the filter cap tightens till there is no gap between the housing and the cap, the o ring is between the sides of the cap and the inside of the housing, it does not have to be compressed like a regular style metal filter to make the seal. Just get it seated and snug, is all. Some people tighten these as if they were a traditional oil filter, but the way they seal is different.
Most of the time the breakage is because someone tightened it down too tight. On Toyota it is 18ft pounds or 25NM and the threads stay dry if you put something on the threads my guess is it would need to be less. I always advise to replace with metal. I myself have cracked my fair share of them so that way there is guaranteed to be no issues. Also people use the wrong tools on them all the time too causing breakage.

On the Chrysler ones its the same spec. 18 ft lbs but if you choke up on the ratchet you will feel when its seated and won't overtighten it. With delicate stuff I always use a short 3/8ths ratchet for tightening. If you crack one of these it's a big job because the oil filter housing is part of the oil cooler assembly and that can't be changed without removing both the lower and upper intake manifolds on the Pentastar.

On the Chrysler ones its the same spec. 18 ft lbs but if you choke up on the ratchet you will feel when its seated and won't overtighten it. With delicate stuff I always use a short 3/8ths ratchet for tightening. If you crack one of these it's a big job because the oil filter housing is part of the oil cooler assembly and that can't be changed without removing both the lower and upper intake manifolds on the Pentastar.
Yes I have heard about those. Definitely not simple like most.

john_pifer

TL Did R. 😝
Congratulations
Thanks bud! We’ve had a lot of fun driving the 4Runner around town, and on a couple of road trips to Memphis and N. IN.

And, of course, I got to drive it the 700 miles back from Arlington, TX., which was fun!

Installed a 4K front/1080 rear 2-channel dash cam setup (Viofo 129 ProDuo), and planning its first oil change next weekend after it hits 3000 miles.

Eventually plan on a set of aftermarket wheels, and some new Toyo Open Country AT3 all-terrain tires for it.

Will also eventually need a good rooftop cargo carrier, and probably also a hitch-mount cargo rack, when we have another kid, and have, potentially, 2 child safety seats in the middle row.

Might eventually even upgrade the stock suspension, since there are SO many aftermarket options! But probably won’t do that until the stock suspenders wear out, which won’t be for quite a while.

john_pifer

I'd dial back the A/T tires, Toyo makes the Open Country HT/2 (sweet) which makes alot more sense on your set-up.
Believe me, I agree with you.

I have always run Michelin LTX M/S-II (and, recently, since they changed the name, the LTX Defender M/S-II), on my 2007 Tacoma PreRunner (it’s 2WD), since it’s my DD, and almost exclusively on pavement.

This is a highway-biased, P-rated, truck/SUV tire, and it’s very good in rain. Very quiet. 70K warranty. Decent in snow, though it doesn’t carry 3PMSF badge.

Something like that would definitely be the practical choice for a 2WD 4Runner. But not every vehicle choice has to be the practical or logical choice, right?

The 4Runner is the wife’s, and, even though its primary duty will be as her DD, and won’t see much, if any, off-road, she likes the look of the beefy, gnarly, A/T tires.

Ive explained to her that there she will sacrifice some of the quiet and smooth ride of the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/T’s, and she’s willing to make that sacrifice.

One of the big reasons we picked the Toyo Open Country AT3 is the fact that they’re very light in comparison with the OEM highway tires. They’re within a pound of the OEM tires. And the wheels are pretty close, too.

It will look pretty sweet! And she’ll definitely be able to hop some curbs at Kroger and flex on some folks down at Target, right?

Here are the wheels we’ve picked out. We’ll be going with the bronze.

68FA84A3-D366-4846-8D9A-C83BB3353031.jpeg
2D7E15E8-60F4-4CB6-BE81-27F2F6D5EEEC.jpeg
A4DD0CF7-72AD-4993-A430-CD77D57ED72F.jpeg

I'd dial back the A/T tires, Toyo makes the Open Country HT/2 (sweet) which makes alot more sense on your set-up.
Have these tires on Lexus with refurbished stock chrome rims and 20mm spacers, small 3/4" spacers give that subtle
edge to an otherwise stock appearance...

I'd recommend stock rims but if any change in rims be to a Toyota TRD brand specific to your year, spacers and new alignment if you wish but end it there IMO.