Most Reliable Engine For Late-model F-series Trucks

can U angle it like the cab overs do or
U stick the lift forks in there & move it all straight up?
Any slack on wires, sterr link etc or it doesn't need lift more'n a few inches... As I
remember the cowel seemed the problem or may B, no it wasnt the turbo tubes (can remove them easy).

"... is made to disconnect..."
OK, not so bad. But still, when I heard that (seems 20 yrs ago?) I was shocked. Cab off for plugs!?! ('S as bad as engine out for Lambo tune up). Then "Wait, they're 50K mi plugs or sompin!"

Yes since 2008 the cab bolts are from the bottom up and everything is made to disconnect from the chassis and let the cab be lifted

The previous year 2007 and earlier the bolt heads are in the cab under the carpet and not as "easy " to lift

I think '03-'07 cabs are easier to lift than the '08-'10 cabs, The "caged nuts" like to break the cage if you don't slowly wrench them out by hand. And the 2 core support bolt nuts need heat 100% of the time.

A buddy of mine that works at a Ford dealer made a tool out of a Rigid Pipe Threader to remove the cab bolts.....Constant Torque is the trick. I've borrowed it before & work VERY well but can be dangerous if the tool gets away from you!

A video of a pipe threader in action.....

Say no to the diesel. Low EGTs are a good recipe for after-treatment problems. If he gets a diesel, he must understand that when the DPF regen starts, you let it finish. If that means you have to go drive on the highway for 30 minutes, then that's what you do. I don't know if Ford tells you when a regen is running, but I can tell you GM doesn't. You have to learn how to tell when they start and finish buy watching the instant fuel economy, or better get a Bank iDash and set a field for % DFP load and another for regen_on. Diesels are great for pulling heavier trailers, else just say no.
Our older F550 at work let's you know a regen is happening not sure about the new one they got.

I bought a 96 dodge Cummins for that exact type of role - lots of heavy hauling. It only has about 450k miles on it… AC still blows cold…. Why ford and why last 10 years.

My FIL exclusively runs Ford super duty in severe service with heavy hauling of lubricants in 55gal drums. Every single truck has needed new mounts between the frame and body.

6.2 or the newer 7.3 gas if it's in their budget. All of our 6.2s have been great. They absolutely don't need a 6.7 for their intended use.

The one person I do know with the 6.2 gas engine has had a relatively trouble free ownership experience. The issues she has had were minor and were not related to the engine. I don't think the extra cost and the possibility of very expensive engine repairs is worth the risk on the diesels unless someone absolutely needs that much towing capability. That being said, I'd encourage them to explore other brands and perhaps re-evaluate if a heavy duty truck is needed for their intended usage. There are significantly more options if they were to go for a 1/2 ton and all of them are very capable trucks these days.

6.2 or the newer 7.3 gas if it's in their budget. All of our 6.2s have been great. They absolutely don't need a 6.7 for their intended use.

Agree....I like the 6.2L a lot! My #1 account/client has several electrician service bodied trucks....The Ford 6.2L & GM 6.0L have proven to be the most reliable. The Body/Chassis/Rest of the Powertrain aspect is definitely in Fords favor except for Cab Mounts.

Back