What are your thoughts on store brand motor oils?

In my example ST is cheaper by about $1.50 vs QS. In that case I’m going to use something I know and trust, QS. I’ve used it for years in the old Elantra and would be using it in the Soul all the time if I didn’t get a bunch of PP during the Walmart blowout sale. QS at Walmart is almost always cheaper than the store brand at Napa, AZ, AAP.
I'm the same way. I've used ST multiple times before, I'm not against Super Tech, but for $1.50 I'm choosing the SOPUS product.

In my example ST is cheaper by about $1.50 vs QS. In that case I’m going to use something I know and trust, QS. I’ve used it for years in the old Elantra and would be using it in the Soul all the time if I didn’t get a bunch of PP during the Walmart blowout sale. QS at Walmart is almost always cheaper than the store brand at Napa, AZ, AAP.
Not in my area. Supertech syn used to be a great value but now costs more than QS full syn ($26 VS $22 at WMart) and not much less than PP or M1. My shop we use STP syn and it runs us about $27 so that is good because it gets delivered too and can't beat that.

I wouldn't have a problem with them, I'm just stuck in my ways and try to use what the manufacturer recommends. Castrol in the VW or Mobil 1 when I can't get the VW euro spec and I've always use 10w30 PYB in my mower and snow blower. Are there any euro spec VW 502 house brands? I don't recall seeing any.

I apologize but I’m just kind blown that people have bad feelings toward things. I use some store brand things like almond milk etc. it’s not all bad either. Nothing wrong with saving money
That's why I bought M1 EP on rebate, cheaper than store brands. I think it worked out to about $2.00/quart.

Bad feelings towards things? Let's call them preferences. You have yours and they're not the same as mine. One thing we do share is an appreciation for a good deal and a good value. Here's a tangential example: we both like almond milk. You use store-bought, I make my own. Different approaches to the same end ... a satisfactory almond milk experience.

I wouldn't have a problem with them, I'm just stuck in my ways and try to use what the manufacturer recommends. Castrol in the VW or Mobil 1 when I can't get the VW euro spec and I've always use 10w30 PYB in my mower and snow blower. Are there any euro spec VW 502 house brands? I don't recall seeing any.
I do believe I saw it here; doesn’t FRAM now make a 5w40 oil or is it a extended drain oil?

Probably wrong I am

You can’t blame the oil. Sorry, but I don’t buy one bad “experience” making something bad. I’d heck the oil filter you used.
I didn't say it was " bad " . I said I had a bad experience . The engine was noticeably more noisy with the NAPA oil . Are you saying I had a bad filter ? I used the same Fram Extra Guard filter that I used previously .

I apologize but I’m just kind blown that people have bad feelings toward things. I use some store brand things like almond milk etc. it’s not all bad either. Nothing wrong with saving money

Tell ya the truth 53…

At Harris Teeter they have their premium branded items that are …. Legit as good as the high end expensive brands.

Like pasta sauce HT Traders Puttanesca sauce is 3.99 a bottle and it is as good as the Micheal’s of Brooklyn that is $10.99 a bottle…

They have Premium Select Hot dogs at Harris Teeter at $4.99 that are better than Nathan’s $6.99… And darn Nathan’s down sized their darn Hotdogs… The “jumbo “ Nathan’s are what used to be their regular sized hotdogs. Their regular sized hotdogs are smaller now too.

And those HT Premium Hotdogs have a jumbo size that are huge and extremely good smoked…

Attachments

• 36900CBC-2D56-4B33-88D0-514D27861D53.jpeg
    36900CBC-2D56-4B33-88D0-514D27861D53.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 11
Back to motor oil…

I like Cam2 and Super S which ran very good in the Nissan Altima VQ. And now that runs very good in the Honda I have.

The lady’s 98 Camry is getting Motorcraft 5w30 which helps that car quieter.

But I got much love for Havoline, Valvoline, Quaker State, and Pennzoil Ultra and Mobil 1 ESP… And massive respect for HPL and Amaoil and Redline.

Only my opinion but HPL is the strongest and highest tier motor oil on the market. With Amaoil and Redline and Mobil 1 ESP just barely below that…

I'm not who you replied to, but look at it this way:

Are all HPL gasoline oils Dexos?
You raise a valid point: I don't believe they are. Yet they are obviously quality oils.

There is a very important distinction, though, between the point you're making and the comment I was responding to. ProbeGT said "To me, the approvals and certifications don't matter as much as the actual content data." Not "actual content", but "actual content data". What he said was that he would rather see a label listing the additives, etc, than the API cert. He said, "I think every oil bottle (store brand or not) should have the manufacturer clearly identified and also have a label similar to "nutritional facts label" found on food products. Instead of carbs, fats and proteins, list the class of base stock, viscosity cSt and antiwear pack PPM (Zn, P, Mo, B, Ti)."

So your example was the actual quality/performance of the oil, while he was saying an "ingredient list" would tell the user more than an API cert. I disagree. If I were MolaKule or a select other few members here, then sure, but I'm not. So for 99% of us, the certs will tell us more useful information than a list of the base oils and additives.

I always buy Heinz Ketchup
Store brand never measures up !!
Just saying
I tried making my own and the dog wouldn't eat it.

I don't buy store brand lubricants. Always Petro-Canada, Chevron brands, Shell brands, BP and Mobil.
Include Husqvarna if we are including 2-stroke EOs.

Last edited:
Back