What are your thoughts on store brand motor oils?

There is nothing wrong with them :)

For a non-Euro car with an OLM, you can use the cheapest synthetic on sale for the OCI calculated by the computer.

Napa oil is Valvoline.

Sometimes name brand oil can be cheaper when they have rebates or a sale.

I'm dissapointed Walmart doesn't offer a Supertech 0W16. I have no issue using store brand oil. I used Supertech outboard 2-stroke oil in a Lawnboy for years when I lived in my first house.

They used to offer a ST 0w16, but nobody bought it, so Walmart quickly clearanced it out :sneaky:

Yes and sometimes we suffer from paralysis by analysis.

choices.png

I will respectfully disagree on that. Especially since my work and countless fleets use re refined and off brand oils. Just my thoughts. Maybe what you saw was way too long OCI’s
Your welcome to do so👍. Well we have long OCI in EU, compere with major brands vs store brand oils there's been big different.

brother is an Engineer at Borg Warner and as he said " the powertrain engineer told me at this stage of development, all motor oils that meet s a given spec should be thought of a a commodity, so you might as well buy the cheapest ".

If they were priced better. I would probably use them. Super Tech Full Synthetic is about $1.50 less than QSFS right now, so I’ll use QS. I bought a few jugs of Amazon Basic HM for the old Soul during a sale they were $6 or so a jug, but that’s the only way.

I use ST in my outdoor equipment though, or whatever is cheaper at the time.

brother is an Engineer at Borg Warner and as he said " the powertrain engineer told me at this stage of development, all motor oils that meet s a given spec should be thought of a a commodity, so you might as well buy the cheapest ".
Doesn’t this assume that no oils exceed the spec, though? I don’t believe that there isn’t a difference between say Wolf‘s Head synthetic and Mobil 1.

Back