What are your thoughts on store brand motor oils?

I would only use it in an emergency. Not saying it’s bad just not my choice. I like my name brands especially when it’s something related to cars.
I'm pretty much with AM on this. I have used Supertech once in Sweetie's car, but that was going to be its last oil change for her.

It's not just store brands that I stay away from, but any brand of "basic" meets-the-spec oil. I want something that I feel is at least somewhat, if not substantially, better. Since 1984 I have used only Red Line and then Mobil 1 oil in my vehicles, and change frequently.

Adam, as long as you can trust (and verify, ideally- like a dexos oil that’s listed on GM’s site) that the store brand actually meets the certifications that it says it does, there will be no statistical difference in its performance. Sure, there may be some minor differences in what’s in the oil, but the certification is what tells you how the oil will perform… it sets a “floor” for minimum performance.

If one is limited on funds and changes the oil at reasonable intervals, there is no realistic downside to store brands other than a sore ego.

The only bad experience I had was with NAPA synthetic motor oil . When I put it in my Tundra I noticed a tapping from the engine . Went back to PP and no issues . Strange ..

I think every oil bottle (store brand or not) should have the manufacturer clearly identified and also have a label similar to "nutritional facts label" found on food products. Instead of carbs, fats and proteins, list the class of base stock, viscosity cSt and antiwear pack PPM (Zn, P, Mo, B, Ti).

That would eliminate the guessing game. To me, the approvals and certifications don't matter as much as the actual content data.

Adam, as long as you can trust (and verify, ideally- like a dexos oil that’s listed on GM’s site) that the store brand actually meets the certifications that it says it does, there will be no statistical difference in its performance. Sure, there may be some minor differences in what’s in the oil, but the certification is what tells you how the oil will perform… it sets a “floor” for minimum performance.

If one is limited on funds and changes the oil at reasonable intervals, there is no realistic downside to store brands other than a sore ego.
Yeah, I’m not “picky” or biased like Shel_B or AM. Shame peoples opinions when stuff isn’t “name brand” they call/say it’s bad.

The only bad experience I had was with NAPA synthetic motor oil . When I put it in my Tundra I noticed a tapping from the engine . Went back to PP and no issues . Strange ..
You can’t blame the oil. Sorry, but I don’t buy one bad “experience” making something bad. I’d heck the oil filter you used.

I’m noticing a big trend. If something store brand is cheaper by 50 cent to $2 people STILL brag that they got name brand product. Guess me being poor, owning my vehicles and not having “spec” to meet besides API makes me weird. Oh well, I don’t give a rear anymore. Whatever gives people satisfaction.

Yeah, I’m not “picky” or biased like Shel_B or AM. Shame peoples opinions when stuff isn’t “name brand” they call/say it’s bad.
Whoa, boy! I never said basic or store brand oil was bad. I said I prefer something of a higher quality. And AM said, "Not saying it’s bad just not my choice."

Don't change what we said to make a point at our expense.

Whoa, boy! I never said basic or store brand oil was bad. I said I prefer something of a higher quality. And AM said, "Not saying it’s bad just not my choice."

You are hilarious. Saying stuff like “don’t feel comfortable” and using redline and M1 since whenever. Just tell the truth: you dislike any off brand.

This place truly amazes me every day.

I started my wife's car on mobil 1 as soon as we got it. It ate oil from day one, 1 qt every 750 miles. After going around and around with GM, I came up with my own blend of oil to help slow it down. I used advanced auto parts house oil which is branded Fram. Never had any problem with it, and it has the current api rating. If the oil is going to disappear, what's the point of paying top dollar for it ?.,,,

So you had to edit it since I made a valid point. Nice. That says it all. Everyone wants to save money especially on oil.

cheaper by 50 cent to $2
In my example ST is cheaper by about $1.50 vs QS. In that case I’m going to use something I know and trust, QS. I’ve used it for years in the old Elantra and would be using it in the Soul all the time if I didn’t get a bunch of PP during the Walmart blowout sale. QS at Walmart is almost always cheaper than the store brand at Napa, AZ, AAP.

In my example ST is cheaper by about $1.50 vs QS. In that case I’m going to use something I know and trust, QS. I’ve used it for years in the old Elantra and would be using it in the Soul all the time if I didn’t get a bunch of PP during the Walmart blowout sale. QS at Walmart is almost always cheaper than the store brand at Napa, AZ, AAP.
I can understand this. I will use clearance oils also.

They are good oils and meet specs. Use them with confidence when utilizing proper oil change intervals

Back