VR30

Looking for insight from the group regarding viscosity. I have a Q50 with the VR30 motor and live in FL. Factory spec calls for 0W20. Most on the FB groups say they run 5W30 but with little evidence as to why it’s better other than “0W20 is like water”. Is running a 20 weight oil in a twin turbo motor in a warm weather climate asking for problems long term?

Likely the #1 most discussed topic on this board. Perhaps these existing threads may be of interest, some include a discussion about turbocharged engines.

Sorry if some are repeats, there are just so many:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...e-same-chrysler-engine-calls-for-0w20.298289/

Last edited:
is running a 20 weight oil in a twin turbo motor in a warm weather climate asking for problems long term?
I'd run 5w30 to give you a cushion against viscosity loss... since the 0w20 is driven by CAFE.
FWIW if the 0w20 is 20f colder its probably similar to the 5w30.. not a huge difference from engines perspective.
There is no "ITS TOO THICK, my engine is too tight for 5w30" type comments If 5w30 was too thick your engine would self destruct every day before it warmed up on 0w20.

I find it amazing you registered in 2005 but this is your first post. Welcome to Bitog(as a poster)

Last edited:
Perhaps consider the contrary - what evidence exists for problems created by running a 5W30?

You won’t find any.

Since you live in FL - genuinely cold starts aren’t a problem.

I doubt those engines are all dropping dead because they ran 0W20, either.

I just don’t think it’s a big deal either way. I got a good deal on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 a few years back. I’ve been running my truck, which specifies 0W20, on it ever since. I can’t tell any difference one way or the other.

Mainly the extra viscosity and higher HTHS of a 30 grade would yield additional protection for a relatively high pressured 3.0L pushing 400hp

Especially if driven hard.

Not to mention being Turbo/GDI there's also the added margin for fuel dilution compared to 20 grade oil.

5w30 or 0w30 is that middle ground without deviating too far from the recommended 0w20

Back