Car recommends 5W-30 outside US and Canada vs 0W-20. Run 5W-30 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My very simple logic here is the 5W-30 is probably the better choice for the engine. If 0W-20 was really what was optimal, why not recommend it globally?

Thoughts? Especially when it’s hot.
Because in many parts of the world 0W-20 is not readily available so the recommendation are changed based on what's available in the area, in like Mexico, Central America, the Carribean, Africa, and the Middle East, 20W-50 and 25W-60 until relatively recently (or possibly still) were all that were available, in Russia I think 10W-40 or 15W-40 are actually the most commonly available grades, In Europe C3 and A3 oils are among the most common so the manuals in those countries they recommend based on what's available.

My engine was spec'ed for 5w20 but an earlier version of it and in Europe they call for 5w30. In another version of my engine they call for 0w20. I don't care what the weight is, I look at my UOA trends to see what yields me better results. (Manual says 5w30 is fine when 5w20 isn't available)

So far that is 5w30 with an HTHS of 3.3 (Amsoil XL). Previous I ran 20wt's of various varieties and got higher metal levels in my UOA's.
Nothing drastic and probably my engine would be just fine on 20wt but that isn't what this site is about... It's about THE BEST!

For me that is currently Amsoil XL 5w30. Not because it's a 30wt, or because it's magical Amsoil, but I'm convinced it's the HTHS number that matters the most for my engine.

This is the most convenient oil for me to use with a high HTHS without having to go to a 40wt and without having to go somewhere special to get it. This is shipped right to my door and it gets the job done for me that I'm looking for.

Shop by HTHS in my opinion.

xw20 is a political construct to comply with u.s. law concerning arbitrary fuel economy mandates. i just returned from 3 months in southeast asia where xw30 and xw40 rule because the writ of u.s. law matters not but sound engineering does matter.

Would help to know the vehicle and how you drive it. You should have no issues running a grade up from what is recommended for your engine. The BITOG thin oil boogeyman is ever present nowadays....

My very simple logic here is the 5W-30 is probably the better choice for the engine. If 0W-20 was really what was optimal, why not recommend it globally?

It'll make no difference. Automakers recommend what is optimal for your market. Optimal isn't viewed as a tradeoff between emissions vs engine wear. Availability and cost of lubricants as well as operating conditions (ex, autobahn) also play a factor.

High performance lubricants are ridiculously inexpensive and widely available in N. America. Not so for other regions of the world where cheaper to produce 5/10w-30/40 oils are the norm.

It'll make no difference. Automakers recommend what is optimal for your market. Optimal isn't viewed as a tradeoff between emissions vs engine wear.
For the conscientious owner who chooses a quality synthetic oil and changes it frequently, that's likely quite true.

What is also true is that the better manufacturers have had to make a large number of changes to engine internals to get adequate service life with ultra thin oils. Coated timing chain pins, protective coated bearings, rod bearings so large in diameter the connecting rod won't fit down the bore unless the cap is fractured at an angle, anti friction piston skirt coatings, hard-coated-wear resistant low tension piston rings, and on and on. That alone speaks volumes.

Running either oil viscosity isn't going to affect your engine as long as you change it as required. Honestly, I run 5W30 in my Toyota, which specifies 0W20.

There is zero difference in MPG and it's way too soon to judge wear.

The 5W30 was just easier to find, and allows me to comply with that one sentence in the owner's manual that says a higher viscosity may provide better protection under heavy use like towing.

Don't sweat it either way.

I towed a 5,000 pound travel trailer with a Silverado 5.3 running 0w/20 all over the Rocky Mountains and the motor didn't blow up.

I towed a 5,000 pound travel trailer with a Silverado 5.3 running 0w/20 all over the Rocky Mountains and the motor didn't blow up.
Blasphemy!! You must be a plant or a bot sent here by a secret society which wishes to make our lives inconvenient. Where's my aluminium foil. ;)

images

Running either oil viscosity isn't going to affect your engine as long as you change it as required. Honestly, I run 5W30 in my Toyota, which specifies 0W20.

There is zero difference in MPG and it's way too soon to judge wear.

The 5W30 was just easier to find, and allows me to comply with that one sentence in the owner's manual that says a higher viscosity may provide better protection under heavy use like towing.

Don't sweat it either way.
I have the same preference as Astro14.

My vehicles are speced for 20 weight oils, but I run 5W-30 in all of them.
Engine seems to run a little quieter and smoother with 5W-30.
The higher HTHS of around 3.1 gives me additional wear protection during higher RPM / higher heat operation, like climbing a long hill with 8 passengers + luggage in the vehicle.

You may wish to google this: HTHS wear graph

Last edited:

It's been gone over here a bunch of times. I doubt it matters what anyone runs on a individual basis, but try buying a synthetic in a country like Mexico, much less a 0W-20 one. It's about availability and the SOL as it is about wear or anything else....

Since we still don’t know what type of car I think the best route is to do a hot oil flush, fill with 20w50 and at least one full bottle of Lucas additive.

If the car still makes noise add another full bottle of Lucas until all noise is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back